CA Governor Jerry Brown owns Ben Carson on climate change

Ben Carson is a young-earth creationist, so he is positively unbothered by the idea of humans causing climate change. After all, if God isn’t doing it, it isn’t happening. And if it happened more than 6,000 years ago, it doesn’t exist.

As Carson said in a recent trip to California:

To which California Governor Jerry Brown presumably responded: “Nah, no break.”

In an official letter sent to Carson last Thursday, Brown responded to his comments and gave him the “overwhelming science” that Carson claimed didn’t exist:

As the letter reads:

Dear Dr. Carson,

I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Golden State. It’s come to my attention that while you were here you said the following regarding climate science:

“I know there are a lot of people who say ‘overwhelming science,’ but then when you ask them to show the overwhelming science, they never can show it… There is no overwhelming science that the things that are going on are man-caused and not naturally caused. Gimme a break.”

Please find enclosed a flash drive with the complete United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) “Synthesis Report,” the concluding installment of the Fifth Assessment Report, published earlier this year. This report assessed over 30,000 scientific papers and was written by more than 800 scientists, representing 80 countries around the world, who definitively concluded that: “…human influence on the climate system is growing, with impacts observed across all continents and oceans.”

This is just one of the thousands of reports authored by the world’s top scientists on the subject, including a study published just last month by Columbia University, University of Idaho and NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies scientists that found climate change has intensified California’s drought. These aren’t just words. The consequences are real.

Please use your considerable intelligence to review this material. Climate change is much bigger than partisan politics.

Sincerely,
Edmund G. Brown Jr.

Brown didn’t even mention our own government’s most recent yearly report on climate change, which puts yet another exclamation point on the idea that we’re already screwed, and the only way to keep from getting more screwed is to take action now to curb our greenhouse gas emissions in a big way.

To be clear, the chances of Carson reading the reports in the flash drive Brown sent him, or changing his rhetoric on the campaign trail, are precisely zero. Nevertheless, it goes to show how much harder it is to willfully mislead and misdirect on climate science these days. There really is too much evidence to ignore.

Jon Green graduated from Kenyon College with a B.A. in Political Science and high honors in Political Cognition. He worked as a field organizer for Congressman Tom Perriello in 2010 and a Regional Field Director for President Obama's re-election campaign in 2012. Jon writes on a number of topics, but pays especially close attention to elections, religion and political cognition. Follow him on Twitter at @_Jon_Green, and on Google+. .

22 Responses to “CA Governor Jerry Brown owns Ben Carson on climate change”

1. Interesting says:

Hello Moderator3. I see you say that personal attacks are not welcome. Have you not seen the personal attacks done by dcinsider? He’s said far worse than me. Instead of taking the time to block me, you should do your job as a moderator and comment on his post to be fair. Otherwise it will be taken that you want to block someone with an opposing opinion rather than people who deserve it.

2. Interesting says:

Thanks, Moderator3! I’ll try to not personally attack anyone here. Unlike most morons on the internet, I am willing to admit when I am wrong. Also, isn’t a moderator supposed to keep control of a page? If so, ANY moderator comment here is pointless, stupid, and unnecessary. Maybe some moderators need training at these simple tasks. Go ahead and block me again. I know this site is run by a bunch of phonies anyway.

3. Interesting says:

As I stated before, try to post something relevant. Instead of running away from the true issue, you make a sad attempt at insulting and bullying to get your point across (who knows what SFB is supposed to mean anyway. I looked it up and it has many different meanings). How typical for an insignificant, uneducated, ignorant fool who doesn’t have a clue what’s going on. I’m ready to debate whenever you are, but we both know what will happen. You’ll get crushed.

4. Moderator3 says:

Personal attacks are not welcome.

5. Moderator3 says:

Apparently, you haven’t figured out that if it you pass your cursor over the up arrow, you can see who liked the comment.

6. dcinsider says:

Hey SFB, I can SEE you liked your own post. You can see that another person liked mine. You are a moron. Welcome to the Internet by the way hillbilly SFB.

7. Also a doctor says:

Dear Sophie,

I am a scientist with a Ph.D that surely understands the scientific method moreso than you. Please get your facts straight before commenting because you’ll end up looking like an idiot.

The #1 journal for climate change is Nature (http://archive.sciencewatch.com/ana/st/climate/journals/)

Now, I’m interested in reading this article published in Nature: Climate Change(http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n9/full/nclimate2682.html#access)

If you’ll notice, it requires a $199 subscription fee to this journal, or $32 just for this article.

Therefore, the only thing that is “pure rubbish” in this thread is you. Thank you for proving my point that uneducated people comment when they don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.

8. Also a doctor says:

Interesting. Because you also have one like at the time of me responding, I can also assume you liked you’re own post, making you even more sad than me (because you said it was sad and did it yourself). Try posting something relevant next time.

9. sophie says:

Accessing information regarding scientific facts about the effects of climate change does not require spending “$50.00 an article,” assuming you are serious. Attempting to claim the evidence does not exist or that you have looked “time and time again for data” is pure rubbish.

10. dcinsider says:

You liked your own post? That is so sad.

11. sukabi says:

Think that was a bit of sarcasm wrapped in flattery.

12. TheOtherHank says:

Speaking as the son of a surgeon, think of surgeons as being more closely related to car mechanics than scientists. Yeah, the took a lot of science classes, but their day to day activity is cutting things open fixing the broken bits and sewing it back up.

13. Doug105 says:

High on god.

14. josephle2k says:

Please repeat 3 times…

I invented the internet…
    I invented the internet…
    I invented the internet…

Now, that’s the fact!

15. The_Fixer says:

Because that’s the party line.

If you want to go far in the Republican party, you have to run with the climate change denial. It’s part of the package.

Aside from that, I think he’s not running on all cylinders, I’m thinking Alzheimer’s disease.

16. angryspittle says:

I simply can’t understand how a man whose career was based upon science and fact so easily dismiss science and fact.

17. The_Fixer says:

Good move by Governor Brown. However, he needlessly flattered a guy, he does not have “considerable intelligence” any more.

I have doubts that with Carson’s apparent dementia that he will be able to read and understand the reports that Governor Brown was kind enough to forward to him.

18. Also a doctor says:

I agree with Carson. I’ve looked time and time again for data. Unfortunately I am not able to access the literature regarding this issue for free, and I won’t be paying upwards of $50.00 an article to read such rubbish. However, I do consistently find the natural cycles of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere dating back to hudreds of thousands of years ago. I suppose the dinosaurs are to blame for emitting so much CO2…

19. 2karmanot says:

Carson, a doctor who was once considered a brilliant brain surgeon…a scientist, now talks like he has
    dementia.

20. Zorba says:

I thought that biology was required in college to get into medical school. How the hell did Carson pass college biology?

“I haven’t seen any evidence” is the coward’s litany of someone who both doesn’t want to look for any evidence and, upon being presented with it, will continue to insist it doesn’t exist.

22. dcinsider says:

You cannot put a shine on a sneaker and you can’t teach stupid. Ben Carson is as dumb as a bag of rocks, and before anyone talks about this “brain surgeon” let’s reflect on the fact that people can be talented in their profession and still be unspeakably dumb.