Stephen Colbert debuts the “Not a Game” govt. shutdown board game

Stephen Colbert hits it out of the ballpark again with the launch of a new boardgame, the “Not a Game” government shutdown game.

Colbert then explains the rules of the Government Shutdown game:

Let’s say… Democrats are a donkey, Republicans are an elephant, and the Tea Party is a bug up the elephant’s ass.

Okay, the rules are: I go first, and I go first, and I refuse to take my turn. And you can’t take yours until I’m done. I know you’re upset, but we’re both at fault here, so let’s negotiate. I will agree to take my turn, if you agree that I win.

Okay, so I move one space, and I win.

stephen colbert government shutdown game

CyberDisobedience on Substack | @aravosis | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn. John Aravosis is the Executive Editor of AMERICAblog, which he founded in 2004. He has a joint law degree (JD) and masters in Foreign Service from Georgetown; and has worked in the US Senate, World Bank, Children's Defense Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, and as a stringer for the Economist. He is a frequent TV pundit, having appeared on the O'Reilly Factor, Hardball, World News Tonight, Nightline, AM Joy & Reliable Sources, among others. John lives in Washington, DC. .

9 Responses to “Stephen Colbert debuts the “Not a Game” govt. shutdown board game”

1. Mida5tar says:

why did he move the donkey instead of the elephant?

I love how Brendan is such a good sport. That kid’s gonna go far.

3. KC Jenner says:

I did notice that a posted a comment as a reply to John that they were as though they had been made 6 months ago. But it was only the earlier comments that are at the bottom of the page.

4. They’re open now. I have the blog set up to close down the comments after a certain date as all we get is spam after a while, and the spammers know we’re all not patrolling as much in old comments. I opened it for that post again (it was a repost of an earlier post since the 100 bill came out today)

5. Drew2u says:

Why, I would have assumed that was obvious! ;p (of course I didn’t. I don’t even remember that post existing 6 months ago)

Did you notice the dates on the comments? 6 months ago. I kept seeing my avatar and couldn’t remember saying that and then noticed the date.

On many blogs, comments automatically close after a certain number period of time, to prevent spammers from taking them over. I suspect John had to re-open them manually. That post originally went up six months ago.

8. The_Fixer says:

Oh, how brilliant was that? Sums it up all so nicely.

9. Drew2u says:

Off topic re: $100 bill post – “Comments are closed” ? What’s up with that? I’ve never seen that before, was that you or disqus – and does it have anything to do with your ” If I stop blogging in a few hours, you’ll know why.” phrase? ;p