New $100 bill is in circulation, and it’s made Ben Franklin sad

The Federal Reserve Board has finally released into circulation its newest monstrosity – the new revamped Franklin $100 bill, that looks like someone got that blue ink you sometimes find on beef on it after jamming it in their pocket.

(This is an updated version of my earlier report.)

The new $100 bill also contains a very pretty Winnie the Pooh-esque honey pot, with a Liberty Bell inside, because everyone knows honey pots are notoriously difficult to draw.

The new bill started circulating on October 8, 2013.

The new $100 bill

New-Franklin-100-dollar-bill

New-Franklin-100-dollar-bill-back

I do have to laugh about one thing – I was trying to copy and paste part of the official PDF document explaining the new design, and I got a warning from Photoshop that sounds like I’m about to be arrested for counterfeiting (and as I learned the other day, it’s never too early to lawyer-up).

by-default-2013-04-24-at-1.40

I’m actually kind of impressed with the extent of anti-counterfeiting built into Photoshop, since I did a screen grab of a pdf, and Photoshop still knew that the screen grab was of money.  If I stop blogging in a few hours, you’ll know why.  (Let’s hope Rand Paul doesn’t send in the drones.)

Anti-counterfeiting additions to new $100 bill

Okay, I think I got around it by “printing” the page as a pdf, then opening and saving the pdf as a jpg. So here are the new anti-counterfeiting features in the new $100 bill..

anti-counterfeiting features in new Franklin $100 bill

Rest assured, you don’t have to turn in your old $100 bills

I particularly loved this little bit of helpful advice the US Mint added to the bottom of their fact sheet about the $100 bill – this is for real:

by-default-2013-04-24-at-1.55

Phew.

I’m pretty sure the most important anti-counterfeiting feature is that they made the bill butt-ugly. Who would want to copy it?

In all seriousness, we keep gradually migrating our currency over to the look and feel of the Euro (and I mean the Euro bills – the coins are a disaster).  Why not just do it and be done with it?  These half measures, to my eye at least, look cacophonous.

Oh and PS. While you’re at it, whoever came up with the brilliant idea to make 100 different quarters should be drawn and, well, quartered.  And yeah, I know it must have been Congress.  I still can’t (or no longer can) identify a quarter when I pull it out of my pocket. I keep thinking it’s some Canadian coin I got by accident.

Of course, we could have Canada’s problem.  Their new bills are apparently made of plastic.  And there have been some reports that the bills are melting and sticking together in the dryer. Oops.

119 Responses to “New $100 bill is in circulation, and it’s made Ben Franklin sad”

1. Bbeattie says:

Cacophonous? The money is noisy?

2. kevingreen2 says:

When I saw my first one. The right half of the bill is very colorful. The thing is that some people say they get nauseous from the new colors. I looked at it and in a matter of seconds I started to feel queasy. This wasn’t the power of suggestion because I hadn’t heard any of those complaints until after I looked at it. I didn’t even know it was out yet!

The other really odd thing I saw about it is the watermark. The face in the watermark does not match Franklin’s face on the bill. In fact I told my DH that the watermark looked like Chicago’s first Mayor Daley. He did not disagree with me. It has Benjamin Franklin’s hair and a face that reminds me of Richard J. Daley. The eyes, eyebrows, nose and mouth are all different and the watermark face strikes me as being rounder. What’s up with that?

In the US if anyone uses cash it tends to be $20’s, which I guess aren’t out yet. My understanding is that where US currency is circulated overseas it tends to be the $100’s. There are nations, such as China, that want to get rid of the US dollar as the international standard. If it’s going to make people nauseous to look at it I imagine that will bring more calls to dump it as the international standard. What is our government thinking in issuing something like this? Has anyone else seen the new bills? What’s your impression?

Signature:.net qrcode generation

3. I know this is an old thread but what’s with the closed eyes in the hologram?

4. Darrell Panther Hickman says:

It isnt a honey jar , like stated, it is an ink container used for a feather to write things. It is a symbol. the Liberty Bell shows independence and freedom and the ink container is basically a symbol for something that was written. HINT : The Declaration of Independence. Ben Franklin was one of the men who wrote the Declaration of Independence .Hope this helps. SUMMARY: It is an ink container with the symbol of freedom, the liberty bell ( ink that holds freedom within it)

5. Byron Hakeem says:

Please fix soon! Blue strip is causing all my bills to tear.

6. Benjamin Smith says:

It could mean they have as much brains as a stuffed bear

7. rbcon says:

Yeah, some new faces too, maybe someone born in the last couple centuries, who embodies the ideals of liberty, someone who is not necessarily a powerful white guy from the days of slavery. If National identities are here to stay we might as well be one constructed on virtue and truth, instead of the twisted bed of lies it is today. And I hope no one suggest Barrack Obama. he may look a little different than all these dead white guys but he’s sending everyone out to pick cotton all the same. I’m talking about champions of the people. Just think today’s whistle-blowers (Manning, Snowden, Assange) on the face of the $1, $2, $5 bills. What a remarkably different society it would be, one in which standing of to faceless arbitrary authority is commended instead of condemned.

8. sobmaz says:

Because republicans demanded it in just another of their silly filibusters

9. sobmaz says:

A damaged bill still is worth face value. Dont panicked!

10. sobmaz says:

Hey, I like the new bills with the easy tto see security areas. I think the design is great. On the other hand, agree totally about the state quarters.

11. Charles says:

Why say, “Rand Paul send in the drones?” Go pick on an actual chicken hawk like Lindsay Grahamn.

12. ZOIE WHITESIDE101 says:

I HAVE ONE OF THE HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS

13. Len says:

Can these bills
    be scanned from a distance? The government wouldn’t want you hiding any money
    from it now, would it!

Pretty sure the blue strip is woven into the bill, but I would think they would have tested the bill, to make sure it would survive such a common type of accidental damage.

At the very least, you can take any bank note, that is still mostly identifiable as such, to any local bank and have it exchanged for a fresh one. Banks have the knowledge and tools to tell the difference between a damaged valid note, and a forgery.

If any bill is damaged beyond easy recognition, like if your mattress stash gets burnt in a house fire, you can still send it to the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing. They will analyze the remnants for validity, and if they are able to verify, they will replace whatever amount, at no charge.

15. CB says:

I heard if you wash the $100 bill the blue stripe comes off and the bill is then void…? Just read the stripe is woven in the bill so true or not true…? I don’t wanna take the chance and void a $100 bill just to see if this is true….

16. gin says:

That’s so funny, regardless he’s not very hot!

17. gin says:

That was great! loved your blog! Especially the honey pot! Can’t imagine the cost involved! It’s only our tax dollars paying ALOT of extra stuff that we don’t need!! Hear Hear!!

18. xxwildbillxx says:

Exactly!!! The FED needs to relocate the BSW asap! Perhaps they could “weave” it into one of or all of the “100” symbols on the front… not only would this function so much better… it wouldn’t distract so horribly from the main art work!!!

19. xxwildbillxx says:

Yuck! The holographic “Blue Security Weave” is…TERRIBLE…in that it distracts horribly from the otherwise excellent artwork on the face of this bill!!! Also, anyone notice that the BS (lol) Weave is not centered in the middle of the bill and seems the BSW will make any bill it is placed on…HIGHLY…prone to tearing along the vertical edge of the BS Weave! Could the Fed have placed the BSW in a better location… ie: back of the bill, or woven it into one or all of the “100” symbols??? I hope the Fed reconsiders, redesigns and/or relocates the BSW asap!!!

20. Andriy Augustus says:

The only problem with the new 100 bill is the blue 3D strip, they clearly did not intend the money for public use, because as the money wears-out the papers becomes weaker and strip will loose its bond with the paper and will peal off, and in doing so it will rip the bill in half.

21. Kay Lynn says:

Question: on the older bills,on the back, the clock on Independence Hall shows 4:10, why the change to 10:30 on the new bill?

22. Alric the Red says:

I saw one of these in real life just last weekend. I had the exact opposite of it. I thought it was stunning. There were holographic strips on it and it had a bolder design overall. This idea that it was “butt-ugly” is foolishness. And this objection to it looking like the Euro — cue in the conspiracy buffos — or that the intention is to somehow make it look more like the Euro is just more silly hand wringing. I can’t believe how he really overreacted to it. I thought it was very attractive. Very serious looking.

23. Anonymous says:

What does the Liberty Bell in a jar mean? The government is capturing our liberty? I don’t get it.

24. goulo says:

Troll less.

25. lanmanna says:

Cry moar.

26. johninoregon says:

“I particularly loved this little bit of helpful advice the US Mint added
    to the bottom of their fact sheet…”

The mint does the coins. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing handles paper money.

27. goulo says:

Ah, privilege. Why, exactly, would it be a “sad day”?

I take it you don’t believe in the non-existence of god. So by your same
    argument, you’d have no objection if the money were changed to say “In
    the non-existence of god we trust”, right? You certainly wouldn’t “whine” about that, I’m sure.

Or if it said “In Jewish kosher dietary restrictions we trust.” Or “In Satan we trust.” Or “In Scientology we trust.” Yeah, I’m sure you’d have no complaints.

Why in the world should US money be making religious claims (especially religious claims which many citizens and users of the money disagree with)? What do religious claims have to do with the purpose of money?

28. rudolf schnaubelt says:

there are no dollar bills in canada. years ago there was a switch to to $1 and $2 coins for cost savings. now, there are no new pennies and prices are rounded up or down right at the till to adjust for the lack of pennies (this is actually government policy).

the plastic bills are interesting looking and also meant to last longer and thus save money. australia has had plastic currency for about a decade.

the stories of melting plastic bills seem to be apocryphal. it always seems to be something one has heard about happening to a friend of a friend.

29. Ron McClellan says:

It’ll be a sad day if they ever remove that. Geez people, if ya don’t believe in God . . .why even let it bother you? Athiests are . . well . . .pretty whiney.

30. Jafafa Hots says:

GIMP will scan it though. The photoshop thing is one of those “ATT lets the CIA have a room in back” kind of agreements.

31. Outspoken1 says:

The irony is that Ben Franklin tried to help stop counterfeiting by using imprints natural leaves since each leaf is unique. http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/summer07/counterfeit.cfm

32. KC Jenner says:

The comments on the lower part are showing up as being posted ‘6 months ago’ – what’s up with that?

33. caposjpy says:

Historians believe it originated in the late 16th century in the Black Forest
    Region, which is a popular tourist place in Germany with dense forests and
    beautiful high lands. Black forest region is known for its abundant (as earlier
    it was a custom for newly marrieds to plant a cherry tree) and beautiful cherry
    trees, which were said to be an inspiration for the black forest cake. The name,
    Black Forest, evokes darkness and mystery coming from the romantic German
    concept of forest-loneliness. During this era, chocolate was first integrated
    into cakes and cookies. Combine these cherries with the German’s love of
    chocolate, and you have this wonderful chocolate Denver Broncos
    Jersey
    confection with cream and cherries.There are many
    other ideas on how the cake originally got its name. Some historians say that it
    is possible that the cake got its name from the traditional costume worn by
    women in the Black Forest Region. The black dress is the dark chocolate cake,
    the white shirt with Balloon puffy sleeves are the whipped cream, the red
    pompoms are the cherries, and the black undulating lace veil shielding the young
    women’s eyes are represented by the chocolate curls.The typical black forest
    cake contains several layers of chocolate cake, with oodles of whipped cream and
    cherries in each layer, further decorated with additional whipped cream,
    chocolate shavings and cherries. Also, in traditional black forest cakes,
    kirsch, which is a clear colorless fruit brandy which is made from double
    distillation of morellos is added. Today, other kinds of liquors like rum are
    used instead of kirsch, or a lot of times, black forest cake is made without any
    alcohol.So, are you already craving for it? Then go on and forget counting
    calories and simply indulge!

34. ComradeRutherford says:

“it’s made Ben Franklin sad”

In the Olden Days, Ben Franklin had a Mona Lisa smile. But when they made the new series with the enlarged image, they redid old Ben. He is NOT pleased with the change. Just look at him, he is saying, “Harumph!”

35. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

I think I’ll object to the term butt ugly. I’ve seen some butts that were anything but ugly.

36. dfchef49 says:

I don’t think it that ugly. If the anti counterfeiting features work all the better.

37. cole3244 says:

its so ugly its beautiful.

38. The_Fixer says:

Oh yeah, I guess I can understand them checking even the 20s. But outting them under the cash tray makes them seem like they’re a little too worried about the 20 suddenly disappearing. And when they do have to give out change for something bigger, it is a bit cumbersome to have to lift out the tray. But maybe there’s some reason for doing it that way that hasn’t occurred to me.

But of course, it’s no skin off my nose. I seldom have to break a $100 bill. Anytime I get one, it comes directly from the credit union, so I feel pretty confident that it’s real.

My thoughts exactly. Although I have a gal friend who takes a pop-corn purse to the movies.

“Who jams beef in their pockets?” Closet cases with wide stances?

classic passing counterfeit maneuver

Nobody gay designed that roadkill!

43. cole3244 says:

if it makes it harder to counterfeit and stays in circulation longer i don’t care what it looks like, pick pick pick!

A good part of the reason why they’re often told to check (via decree from management) is that people have passed off really bad fakes, and cashiers don’t bother to question it. So it’s better to make them check them all, than risk losing 100 bucks because someone photocopied a bill and the cashier was too dumb to realize it.

45. The_Fixer says:

He might have been trying to pass a counterfeit. Favorite tactic of such people, buy something small with a fake and you’ve made the change in profit. Plus whatever you’ve bought, of course.

46. AdmNaismith says:

I would have moved the security strip off to the edge of the bill and better integrated the inkwell into the composition of the front. On the back I would have offset the portrait of Independence Hall so that the ugly ‘100’ graphic wasn’t covering part of it.
    The Mint should have done another pass or two for composition on the front and back.

47. Monoceros Forth says:

I was about to say I’ve never seen a hundred (certainly I’ve never held one) but then I remembered an incident at, of all places, a Goodwill thrift shop. A fellow ahead of me in line took was buying one small item that cost a couple of dollars, removed a $100 bill from his wallet and asked if he could get change for it. What really stuck in my craw was that I could easily see from my vantage point that he had smaller bills in his wallet.

I saw a twenty recently.

I never thought to do that. Good one!

50. The_Fixer says:

I wanna see him with Bonzo on a bill. Captures the essence of the man perfectly.

51. The_Fixer says:

At the local K-Mart, they even check the 20s. They mark them with those pens used to detect counterfeit bills.

Of course, they also put the 20s under the cash drawer, too. Which might tell you a bit about the financial health of K-Mart/Sears.

52. Anonymous says:

The coins could be better too.

53. The_Fixer says:

Everything goes better with pocket lint!

54. Anonymous says:

I think “In Gold We Trust” would be a more accurate motto.

55. The_Fixer says:

Oh come on now, GIMP isn’t all that bad. Especially since they redesigned the interface.

It does what I want it to do, but then again, I am not a professional photographer or a graphic artist. The most valid criticism of GIMP is that it operates in RGB while Photoshop operates in CYM. For professional photographers, that’s a must-have.

Unfortunately, if you need Photoshop, you are now stuck with Adobe’s software subscription model. I’ve some to loathe Adobe software, it’s crappy, bug-ridden and most of it has security holes you can drive a truck through. And they piss me off with their auto-updating. I turn it off on the work computers as our sales people don’t need to be bothered by all-too-frequent pop-ups telling them to update. I do that manually on a weekly basis (if it’s needed). They don’t need that distraction.

I hate both Adobe products and Java. It takes editing msconfig to properly shut off that damn Java auto-updater. At least you can shut off the Adobe updater if you’re an administrator. You tell Java not to auto-update, and it ignores you.

Venting done, sorry :)

56. maria says:

It is the price you pay to keep ahead of photocopier technology.

57. maria says:

No matter what anyone says about how the new $100 banknote looks, I’ll bet everyone would like to see a huge wad of them in their pockets.

58. Monoceros Forth says:

Eh. It’s certainly not beautiful and it’d be nice if the Mint recognized that vomit-green doesn’t have to be the main color still of our currency. There is functionality to be considered, however; that dull green is characteristic of chromium(III) oxide, a pigment of great insolubility and stability, utterly incapable of fading so far as I know and with excellent chemical resistance because of its great insolubility.

What can I say, it’s a U.S. banknote. It was never going to be pretty.

59. Monoceros Forth says:

I don’t think GIMP does that.

GIMP doesn’t do much other than lie there in a slightly nauseating heap of ill-organized features and ghastly interface decisions.

The Bank of Canada claims that people’s reports of their new polypropylene bills melting are false. Considering the melting temperature of the material is 266F, a temperature that would basically necessitate throwing your money into an oven, they’re probably right. Sitting in the sun, or putting them through a clothes dryer should never get that hot. Besides, like the US Treasury recently reimbursing a guy who had his money eaten by his dog, the Bank of Canada will replace any bills damaged beyond usability with the return of the ‘remains’.

61. Synopix says:

No, it’s not ugly. I like the design, and the fonts are pleasant. One of
    the most beautiful currencies. But yes, “In Gold We Trust” should probably be
    removed.

62. Van Swearingen says:

I cross it out with a pen.

63. Van Swearingen says:

Yes, about the same time printer manufacturers added micro-dots to their output identifying the printer serial number, date, and time of printing in order to assist tracking counterfeiters.

64. Jafafa Hots says:

Just give them 10 or 20 years, they’ll get their wish eventually.

65. Jafafa Hots says:

Some of the older currency was gorgeous. Steam locomotives, schooners, etc.

66. Jafafa Hots says:

Yeah I remember hearing something about that. About the same time as they added it to color copiers.

67. Nicky Darwin says:

90 bucks an hour! Seriously I don't know why more people haven't tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And whats awesome is Im working from home so I get more time with my kids. Here is what i do... http://GreatFreelance.qr.net/kiKX

68. goulo says:

I find the continued appearance of “In God We Trust” on the money of a country which supposedly is not a theocracy to be rather ugly also, but that’s another issue…

Ben there done that.

True, beautiful money is sooooo gay!

71. tomtallis says:

Not to mention that with different sized currency you’re not limited to multiples of $20. You can get any amount you want out of a Bank-O-Mat in Euros. Even if you’re close to flat broke you can get 5€.

72. tomtallis says:

I think that they made it so butt-ugly that no one would even want to counterfeit it.

73. citizen_spot says:

I’m hoping for a “Just say no” Nancy Reagan currency, so all the recreational drug users can buy their drugs with it. Doh! :-O

74. RepubAnon says:

Glad to hear that Blackwater doesn’t have to turn in all those pallets of $100 bills from George W’s C-130 Iraq money drop

75. ComradeRutherford says:

It was added later, when 1400dpi printers and scanners became common, like early 1990s.

76. ComradeRutherford says:

Or the SciFi book, ‘Snow Crash’ when Republican caused hyperinflation necessitated new bills with lots more 0s on them. They put Ed Meese and Ronald Reagan and GHW Bush on the new bills….

77. ComradeRutherford says:

Adobe PhotoShop has had the USA legal tender blocking component in it for a decade now, or more. I remember when they announced that they were adding it and it was a long time ago.

78. ComradeRutherford says:

2 things:

USA can’t have cool looking money, because then we’d be Old Europe, and the righties would explode.

When they did the first redesign, Ben Franklin went from being a laid back and smiling guy, to a scowling, constipated Republican, who clearly disapproved of the newer and bigger portrait.

79. I wonder if they’d want to give him a mock-heroic look on the coin, with a serious expression and a flinty stare, or they’d prefer his bogus cowboy image complete with lopsided grin and hat borrowed from the studio costume department.

80. Rob says:

It would be really nice to have brand new designs on our currency, perhaps showing Yellowstone or redwoods. The current designs have been around for way too long.

81. Jafafa Hots says:

I don’t think GIMP does that. I scanned a bill with my hi-res scanner in order to get a look at the polyester strip for the same reason – to document the security features… no warning.
    Personally, I don’t think software being forced by government to prevent you from doing something that is not illegal (unless you actually do counterfeit) is neat.

I just wanted to be able to show small segments of some (not all) of the features, such as the microprinting, for wikipedia. I decided not to because I’m not sure wikipedia wanted the headache.

82. dula says:

I’m just surprised they haven’t gotten rid of all the Presidents on our bills and replaced them with the CEOs who run the government.

Pfft. Everybody loves Canadians, so we have to find SOMETHING to make fun of.

I think every now and then some slobbering GOPer in Congress tries to introduce the bill, but it never goes anywhere.

85. perljammer says:

It had never occurred to me before, to consider the aesthetics of currency. It’s money, not a work of art. As long as it’s difficult to counterfeit, can survive a trip through the washing machine, and is accepted at the places where I need to spend it, I’m good. I don’t care whose likeness appears on the front; maybe they should hold periodic contests like the post office does (or did, anyway) for postage stamps. As far as sighted persons being able to discriminate different denominations — well, you know, there are those rather large numbers printed in each corner.

86. You’re right, poorly worded, although I know exactly what he means by the blue ink.

I worked with a guy who, went he went to a party with a buffet, would fill his pockets with food to take home. Didn’t even bother with baggies or anything.

88. AnitaMann says:

“…that looks like someone got that blue ink you sometimes find on beef on it after jamming it in their pocket.”

Unclear. Who jams beef in their pockets?

Also, yeah, ugly.

89. Zorba says:

Yes, me too, nicho. I have never even seen (except in pictures) nor held a $100 bill.
    But I suppose that we can all remain hopeful. ;-)

90. (vomits) I suppose there’s still that movement to have his loathsome mug replace FDR’s on the dime, yeah?

Or lady Gaga!

92. magster says:

I like the quarters.

Yes, but we have toxic mortgages and crushing debt with his fingerprints all over it.

All I can say is thank God we don’t have any money with Reagan’s face on it.

95. HeartlandLiberal says:

FWIW, counterfeit 20 and 100 dollar bills are apparently so wide spread I constantly see clerks holding them up to the light and giving them a serious examination, especially if they are crisp and new. I almost never carry any bill larger than a twenty in my wallet, but I do know Mr. Franklin from when we decide to drive down to one of the casinos for a little recreational video poker. As for appearance, at least the newer versions of our bills are not as monochromatic boring as they used to be. Give credit for the anti-counterfeit measures at least brightening the color schemes up at long last.

96. Oh Canada, we’ll always find something to make fun of ;-)

97. SkippyFlipjack says:

I believe that’s been part of Photoshop since the first versions. Lots of copiers and printers have that recognition software built in too.

98. I guess there’s a good, practical reason to keep the faces the same on all our paper currency because they’re the most recognizable feature for telling the bills apart. But, really, countries all over the world put the faces of great scientists and artists and people from all walks of life on their banknotes; can’t we have a little variety as well? No disrespect to Washington or Lincoln or anyone else, but it’d add a little spark to the day to reach for one’s wallet and pull out a picture of Dizzy Gillespie playing trumpet or Richard Feynman playing bongos and not the same, dour, greyish-green faces over and over.

99. mine are leftovers as well. That new one is…interesting. I will say that its color scheme is better than the new American 100 dollar one.

100. Hue-Man says:

Here’s the new plastic Canadian $100. The bill has a plastic see-through – which is very difficult to reproduce on your officer printer! – as well as other security devices. The portrait is Sir Robert Borden (Prime Minister 1910-20) and the back created a controversy – wiki: “On August 18, 2012, the Bank of Canada replaced an image of an Asian
    woman on the back of the notes with that of a Caucasian woman in
    response to the concerns from focus group participants about the stereotyping of Asians as excelling in technology. This in turn led to a further controversy when the redesign was accused
    of favouring a Caucasian as more neutral, causing an apology from Governor Mark Carney.”

101. Peter says:

I recently moved back to the US from the UK, and find myself missing the UK money. It made a lot more sense and nothing looked the same. I really miss having the 1 and 2 pound coins. Now all I seem to collect is one dollar bills. Have a blind friend in the UK, and with everything having a different size,they always knew what they had for cash. Here, almost impossible to do the same thing.

Long time no see, Ben.

The US has always had fugly currency, dull and artistically limited compared to other nations. Just a continuation of that trend… though, the random lines and blotches don’t really seem to make much sense in any aesthetic.

OMG butt ugly in pearls.

America has the currency equivalence of Dorian Grey.

106. usagi says:

Most of the ugliness (and personally, I don’t think this is a bad looking bill at all) is driven by the mandate that US currency always be a “greenback” (use green as the base color). Thus, zombie Franklin.

107. Would it kill them to be a little more creative or colorful? We have the ugliest money.

If I ever have enough money to buy a $100 bill, I’ll let you know what I think.

Where in the world do find Canadian dollar bills? I had a few leftover ones when I visited Montreal 10 years ago, and some Canadian guy gave me $1.50 each for them. He wanted to have a few as souvenirs.

Hopefully not too many times. The Treasury Dept has usually been good in the past in doing pre-release outreach to major retailers.

That’s one thing I miss about dealing with foreign currencies, how many of them have realized there’s a benefit to be gained in having different sizes for their paper money. I could tell just by the weight alone whether I was holding a 1000 or 500 Indian Rupee note in my hand.

Wow, talk about FUGLY. I can understand wanting to make currency harder to counterfeit, and in this they do seem to be taking all of the newest measures.

But the Feds’ designers have no sense of style or artistry whatsoever.

Here’s some beautiful currency, by the way:

They don’t include what I consider one of the most beautiful, which is the Singapore paper currency.

Oh, and yeah — the ‘different quarters’ idea was incredibly stupid.

113. Steve_in_CNJ says:

As an aside, whenever in the UK, don’t you dare complain about QE2 appearing on every single coin, note, stamp and official document in the realm. They might replace her with an image of Maggie Thatcher.

114. Gindy51 says:

I wonder how many times I am going to get a weird look when I use these for grocery shopping after I cash my pay check. You know it is going to take a bit of time for the clerks and cashiers to get used to this new bill. I can easily see getting harassed for it being counterfeit.

115. Bose says:

Wild that PhotoShop is filtering everything pasted to it — what else is it looking for?

I tested it, too. No such problems with the image-grabbing and -editing tools I use.

116. Mark_in_MN says:

The only problem with the color on this is that its too restrained. American’s seem to think their money needs to be dull if it’s going to be “real” and that the currencies of many nations are “play money” because they are colorful and have different sizes. Let them be colorful and easily distinguishable (different color palates for each denomination, at least, if not various sizes of notes) beyond changing the portrait and a numeral.

117. no more making fun of Canadian dollar bills.

118. judybrowni says:

Why can’t we have pretty money, like a good part of the rest of the world?

Or, at least, different colors for different denominations? (I work with tourists a lot and invariably get the complaint when they’re trying to pay for something, “All your bills look alike!”

On the other hand, I have bills from the Weimar Republic in Germany in 1920 ad each is an artistic event: German Expressionist, landscapes, lovely sillhouettes, etc.

But because inflation was so rampant in that period, each marked as only good for a particular month in a particular city!

Well, at least they kept the artists working…