So how are people feeling about President Obama, seriously?

I’m curious how people on the left are feeling about President Obama in this fifth year of the Obama presidency.

A reader wrote me yesterday and felt that Gaius was being too hard on the President.  I don’t necessarily agree or disagree about “too hard,” but Gaius has certainly been more annoyed than I at the President of late.  And I’ve been trying to get a sense of whether some of the base’s annoyance with the President has lessened in the last year, gotten worse, or what.

In my case, it’s a touch call.  I write about, and fight for (and about) a lot of issues.  But anyone who reads this site regularly knows that my personal passion, outside of chocolate chip cookies, gardening and Paris, is gay rights.  And on gay rights, the President has done well.  Oh, there were some rough patches (to put it nicely), but in the end – and it’s not yet over – I can now safely say that President has done a good deal right on gay rights.

And I wonder sometimes if that’s why I’m not as ticked at him as many of my progressive friends, because we all have our pet causes, and my pet cause isn’t doing badly at all.

Protester during Obama’s “I can’t close Guantánamo” speech: “You are commander-in-chief”

Now, not that it didn’t take some major teeth-pulling to get us to the point where I can say that the President has generally done well on gay rights.  I still think that it took far much effort on the part of a lot of us to get him to the point where he got DADT repealed, stopped defending DOMA, and endorsed gay marriage.  But in the end, he did a lot of what we asked (in large part).  And certainly that colors my perception – not of the man, but of his presidency.

On a lot of other issues, not so much.  If civil liberties – and extend that to liberties abroad (a la drones) – are your thing, you won’t be as contented.  Or on the economy, and specifically banking reform.  On the environment.  And we can easily go through a litany of issues where aspects of the base are not terribly pleased with the man.  But, while I try to follow every issue (since, like Sarah Palin, I read everything), I know best gay right.  And on that, in spite of our unrequited desire for the President issue an executive order on ENDA, I can now say he’s done well.

NB One of the points I constantly try to impress on my friends in the administration, and elsewhere, is that “success” with a particularly constituency isn’t simply checking enough boxes on the to-do list, though that does help.  It’s also about keeping that constituency in mind, and constantly trying to push their agenda, and keep your promises to them, in everything you do. And not in a forced way, but rather that you don’t only think of the gays, or the environment, or Latinos, or whatever once a year when that one big bill comes around.

The symphony of governance should be a never-ending quest to advance the President’s agenda, and his campaign promises included, in everything the executive branch does on a daily basis.  And sometimes it doesn’t feel that way, even to the gay community, a group that got a decent amount of what it wanted so far.  It feels, sometimes, like we’ve had to force the administration to help us, rather than the President simply be a fierce advocate for his own promises.

So, I’m wondering how the rest of you are feeling about President Obama?  And I’m asking generally – not just about drones, or PRISM – but generally.  How are you feeling about the man now, in his fifth year, and why?

CyberDisobedience on Substack | @aravosis | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn. John Aravosis is the Executive Editor of AMERICAblog, which he founded in 2004. He has a joint law degree (JD) and masters in Foreign Service from Georgetown; and has worked in the US Senate, World Bank, Children's Defense Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, and as a stringer for the Economist. He is a frequent TV pundit, having appeared on the O'Reilly Factor, Hardball, World News Tonight, Nightline, AM Joy & Reliable Sources, among others. John lives in Washington, DC. .

254 Responses to “So how are people feeling about President Obama, seriously?”

1. 1/0 says:

Im upset over: still troops overseas, prosecution of snowden,manning,barrett brown, aaron Swartz…let’s see…im also upset about the heightened police state, the NSA, no attempt to clean up Washington at all…fast and furious (Holder needs to be held accountable!) no prosecution of the Bush Administration, The bailouts was a stupid idea, still too involved with Israel, the Benghazi incident was very poorly handled, Obama did not consult Congress before firing into Libya, and he lets his errand boy Jay Carney do too much talking for him. I’m just going to call him Black Bush from now on. No discernible difference in ideology.

2. samizdat says:

Go F yourself, tool.

3. BillyHewitt says:

You are sick. Obama is sick because he is paranoid and wants to interrogate 300 million terrorist suspects and if these peasants protest then loose the drones and blast them peasants

4. BillyHewitt says:

The US is the greatest terrorist state in the world thanks to foreigner President Obama and the thugs at NSA. Badgerite must be a code name for Attila the Hun.

5. BillyHewitt says:

Russia is jailing homosexual foreigners. We should do like wise.

6. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

Haven’t you heard of Loving vs. Virginia? That’s the point where the federal government became involved with marriage issues.

It’s called CIVIL RIGHTS. Got it?

8. thurmanater says:

I’ve always thought social issues should be dealt with at the state level. What in the hell does the federal government have to do with with gay rights, gay marriage and etc.?

9. Whitewitch says:

You must be in my generation – because we truly understand the pendulum which swings both ways…I too hope to see it swing into better times.

10. JamesR says:

THANKS Whitewitch Like and love back at ya.

To quote Ben Franklin: “We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately.”

Hopefully I will live to see the pendulum swing back http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/02/18/the-biblical-view-thats-younger-than-the-happy-meal/ as we have the historical tradition, even if most have forgotten http://www.alternet.org/story/154125/5_brave_religious_leaders_who_fought_christian_theocracy_in_america

11. Whitewitch says:

Rats – I thought it was the best – well after The Big Bang Theory.

12. Whitewitch says:

Frankly, that is the real core of the problem. I either don’t vote, or I vote for what “I Hope” (note the word HOPE) of the lesser of two evils, or as you phrase it the “good guy” and then hold my nose. The sad part is that many of President Obama’s Cabinet are exactly the same as Bush’s….

How about we work for real change…with a dash of hope.

13. Butch1 says:

He can’t even hide it anymore. They are dead without any sparkle in them. That happens after you have told hundreds and hundreds of lies. It catches up with you. ( Shark eyes to match the pseudo smile that has rows of teeth behind the first row ) He’s an intelligently dangerous man.

I only wish he would focus as much attention on the rich and their taxes as he has on us and our meager earnings and savings.

14. Whitewitch says:

He truly could have been a great and saving grace for this country – sadly he was always a Reagan and he lied about that. I believe that many in the left are dangerous too – as they are sneaking the ugly in.

15. Whitewitch says:

James R – I read this entire post and actually cried. Exchange Gay Man with Women (Single Mom) and Gay Marriage with Birth Control/Abortion and I am standing with you on each and every point. It is funny that all we hear are christian platitudes about anything that actually affects us as individuals. I could not have stated anything more beautifully that you just did. Thank you. Alas I long for the Love Button on Disqus.

16. Whitewitch says:

Disinformation Much? This is so typical of the postings I see from people who believe (or are part of) the governmental mind set. Having been a “contractor” for governmental agencies I could curl you hair with some of the stuff I have seen. And keep in mind that often the people overseeing the “contractor” have absolutely no computer knowledge whatsoever. In fact, there was a time (I hope it is not still so – but it probably is) that they hired contractors because the Fed Employee would not learn the new system and since they were not required to…they still sat at the desk, collected the check and let the contract employee run the show.

17. JamesR says:

LOL and Thanks, I think.

I apologize for being rude.

Totally wrong. You clearly do not know what is a democracy.

Pinning any hope on a tool like Gore was a misdirection most of us did not anticipate. he folded like a paper tent.

“every bit of opprobrium I can muster.” As long as you flush it’s OK by me. Let’s see: 24 up votes to your 1…might want to reconsider.

“it’s really the system that’s the issue” True, Obozo is just the symptom.

and the bobble head!

“I am not the Judge of All Things.” Well, if that ever happens, I volunteer to be your assistant!

Very Like. Obozo doesn’t have a scintilla of imagination or greatness in him….much like Clinton.

True, and the bar is set so low now, that not even a worm could do the Limbo.

Vote in conscience for not the two parties, dimwit.

I’m in compassionate mode today. :-)

29. Butch1 says:

I guess my point was he had a choice and a better person would have chosen to be a better president. He lied to get into office and has lied ever since to stay there.

30. JamesR says:

Monumantally sad.

31. JamesR says:

True. And risking the “a” word here goes: A real President, a true Commander in Chief who risks and sacrifices the lives of others must be willing to risk assassination. Not just from the krazy, as is always a defensible risk, but assassination from the powers that be. So far I see nothing he’s done has risked that. Has cost him anything real. A great president would have put his neck on the line, and I don’t see that here. In fact, I see the opposite, So he lives, and our Country dies. Now – this time in History – is when we NEEDED a Great president and REAL change. They kind that’s personally risky. I wish no man’s death, but so many men and women have died are dying and will die because of Obama’s cowardice I am glad and grateful I am not the Judge of All Things.

32. JamesR says:

Sorry Nonong MyBad. I didn’t read properly, and I couldn’t find any reference to your approving of the withdrawal, yet it was a topic downthread, why I didn’t make it specific to you. I did pose it as a question and leave it, THANKS for the response and the correction,

– it’s just that every time I see the withdrawal mentioned t’s in context that ot’s an Obama “achievement” whereas it’s a BUSH achievement, which is just a bitter and stupid LOL. I used your comment to point that out. To someone who knew but didn’t mention it, and it was 5 AM sorryaboutthat.

33. JamesR says:

LOL Like people say “with all due respect” when they are about to say the opposite, Good catch

34. Jafafa Hots says:

And the Clinton/Obama primary split the Dems.

Guess what – in a real political party there can be more than one faction. The more popular one gets the nod to run.

We don’t have coronations here. Sorry.

35. JamesR says:

If a 29 year old IT tech contractor knows an aspect of international data transfer structure, China most certainly knows it and most certainly doesn’t give a rat’s ass further than designing countermeasures.

It’s US who didn’t know it, and US who should give quite more than a rat’s ass, and should immediately institute our own countermeasures. Most of us that is…

And whoa Badgerite with your assumptions regarding this man’s credibility. If someone were to ask me a good decade or so ago if my country would TORTURE people, and render them to gulags a la the Soviet Union I would not have believed it either. Credibility is as credibility does, though the credulous all behave the same. And that’s not like badgers.

36. Jafafa Hots says:

You know a good reason never to vote for a Democrat?
    Because Democrats always tell you not to vote for the person you want in the office.

They always tell you that a vote for anyone but the Democrats is a vote for the Republicans… when in fact the closer truth is that a vote for the Democrats is a vote for the Republicans.

“There are worse choices than us” and “If you vote for someone better than us you’ll be sorry!” don;t really make for compelling slogans.

37. Jafafa Hots says:

That’s “Nobel.”
    And he did win it for something – for being elected.
    Big whoop.

38. Jafafa Hots says:

Just look at all of the liberals now defending it.

39. JamesR says:

“Mediocrity” is a rather forgiving word for you Karmanot LOL

40. Jafafa Hots says:

Obama didn’t stick his finger in the wind and decide to support marriage.
    Biden stuck his foot in Obama’s mouth and forced him into “evolving” to that position.
    He only came out with that because Biden accidentally forced his hand.

All it was was damage control. That’s the only way Obama ever supports LGBT people – when he has to for damage control.

41. Jafafa Hots says:

I think he was just trying to break it to us easy that in the end he would leave use shoeless.

42. Jafafa Hots says:

Even disregarding that spectrum, we can be disappointed that he isn’t who he told us he was. In many ways the total opposite.

43. Jafafa Hots says:

Same here.

44. Jafafa Hots says:

Hey you’re a quick one.

Got your lesser of two evils turban in a twist again I see. No, I didn’t vote for Nader. I was as gullible back then as you still seem to be.

46. slideguy says:

So Badgerite, why do you suppose this kid decided to make an enemy of the most vindictive administration of the most powerful nation on earth?

Yep, That gigantic Embassy that requires thousands of employees and is about the size of the entire Vatican state is Iraq’s version of Guantanamo.

“Our standards set so low, how much further can they drop?” I’m thinking Biden or Hillary for two.

“Let me be perfectly clear” is the prefix for every lie he is about to tell. It’s Obozo’s version of the Bush smirk.

It could happen!

Elegant MF. Well done!

Same here. I also voted against the dreaded Feinstein.

Yet again the old false argument of the lesser evil. FACT: neither McCain nor Romney are president. Obama stands on his own record of mediocrity.

Any credibility you once had is long since fled. Typically, you mollycoddle any fascist tendencies of the Feds and wave your patriotic flag. It reminds me of that scene in Star Wars where, “democracy ends with cheers and applause.”

55. Cletus says:

Thanks!

56. Sweetie says:

Whoopee, since he can’t have a third term.

57. Sweetie says:

1. Hong Kong is not China.
    2. Prove it.

He wouldn’t have high-ranking politicians calling him a traitor and things like that if he were just a crank. The government would expose him. The “how could a low-level IT tech have access” meme fails. IT pros aren’t particularly surprised.

58. Sweetie says:

“he could have been a great president.”

I wish that were the case. Two points.

1. A great person would never be allowed to occupy the office.
    2. A great person who would manage to beat point #1 would either be killed or would be converted into not so great.

However, I do think it’s reasonable to conclude that he could have been better.

59. Sweetie says:

“imagine what the country would be like today if he had dismantled the
    surveillance established by Bush, made a big deal about it, and we were
    struck again.”

wow.. just.. wow

60. Sweetie says:

lol

61. Badgerite says:

Just an aside, not only did Snowden run off to China, that bastion of free speech and human rights, to ask for ‘asylum’, his claims in the Guardian interview that a low level IT tech, such as himself would be accorded the ability, legally to wiretap anyone up to and including the president, does not pass the laugh test. In short, he’s lying. There is no way that could happen, legally. The stuff coming out of his mouth is tending to resemble the kind of stuff one used to hear about the CIA having killed Kennedy, etc. The report that the NSA is given direct access to servers of major internet companies has also been debunked pretty thoroughly. A drop box for efficient collection of data that has been request via court order is hardly direct access to any and all information on the internet. When you exaggerate to that level, it is called lying. And the credibility of the whole report goes out the window.

62. Badgerite says:

63. samizdat says:

Well, for a fascist, a despot, and a war criminal, he’s not too bad, as those things go.

64. samizdat says:

65. Ninong says:

Yes, I think you have “missed something.” Look up the word “excluding” in the dictionary and that will give you a clue.

I have already discussed the fact that Obama tried to keep troops in Iraq longer but couldn’t because Iraq wouldn’t grant them immunity from prosecution in Iraqi courts. Maybe I shouldn’t have pointed out that the Republicans would have kept us there longer because that sounds like it’s congratulating Obama for something he tried to get around but I thought my previous sentence “excluding anything that has to do with either Iraq or Afghanistan” made it clear that I wasn’t.

66. Butch1 says:

The minute I see him speak on the TV I watch his eyes. They are the eyes of a liar. They are dead from the past five years of lying to the people of this country. He knows it and some of us know it. Many others are starting to awake to the fact that he’s been lying to them, especially the seniors and especially the veterans.

He’s the Commander in Chief and when you lose the respect of your subordinates because they have watched him stabbing them in the back when he has promised to support them if they become injured in war, it doesn’t make them want to support him or new people wanting to join a service that treats them like dirt. His words are empty and meaningless now that most know he is nothing more than a liar. It’s a shame because he could have been a great president.

67. I didn’t say he wasn’t acting like one. I do think the problems run deeper than him. We give the president a little too much credit and it’s really the system that’s the issue more than him. We don’t really know what a tyrant is like in the US but we do know what a corrupt government is like.

68. lilyannerose says:

How much is Obama and how much is Republican obstruction? In the end better Obama in the White House than McCain or Romney. Which really isn’t a ringing endorsement of his Administration.

69. JamesR says:

Obama’s lunch got eaten day 1. Sometimes it just doesn’t get more complicated than that.

All his opining about how fasting mid-day is a great compromise between breakfast and dinner still leaves him hungry and beaten. And all his policies dead. All the ones he himself could have put forth. What a waste.

PS – I have seen Obama work and work hard, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him fight. There is a difference.

70. JamesR says:

He is a man of many words. That apparently all mean nothing.

71. Jafafa Hots says:

Well, I’ll sure never vote for HIM for President again!

72. Jafafa Hots says:

Becca, you just don’t understand! This is a two-dimensional world! There can only be two positions on any issue, thus we only need two political parties.
    The GOOD one and the EVIL one.
    You’re either with us or against us.
    You’re helping the terrorists.
    Which side are you on? Are you red or blue?
    Why do you hate America?
    A vote for someone you like is just a vote for someone you DISLIKE!
    Axis of Evil!
    My country right or wrong!

Wait, hold on, I lost track there somewhere. What were we talking about again?

73. JamesR says:

Manual “like” very much. Something very un-natural about Obama. He may say he ‘gets’ some issue or another, but his actions prove he cannot have. I have no idea who that person inside Obama is, who is (or more likely is not) getting it. Save a principle-less dogged yet indolent weakling or naif.

74. Jafafa Hots says:

It was clear to me from Obama’s positions that he was far more conservative than he let on BEFORE his first election.

He supported some of Bush’s unconstitutional positions on detention and surveillance.

I was living in FL at the time, preparing for am move to NY. I was delayed for months taking care of a dying relative, so I ended up voting in FL. Since it was a state that could go either way and was so close, I voted for Obama over McCain/Palin.

If I had been in NY (a sure-win for O) as planned my vote would have been for a third-party candidate, but FL needed every non McCain vote they could get.

Second time around I lived (as I do now) in CA – which Obama could not possibly lose, so I was free to vote my conscience and I voted for Jill Stein. I don’t regret that vote.

If I’d voted for Obama, I would be regretting it.

75. Jafafa Hots says:

So many seem to forget that he only managed to “evolve” to the point of supporting marriage equality because Biden trapped him into it days earlier because of a slip of the tongue.

76. JamesR says:

Yeah, Damn. Can’t “like” via Disqus (and I in NO WAY LIKE THIS) but I can post my complete agreement and well said.

77. JamesR says:

God needs an embassy?

– Oh wait, that IS the Vatican!

I’ll keep my pain, thankyouvrerymuch…

78. JamesR says:

Um, the Iraqi withdrawal was a treaty signed by Bush… To congratulate Obama for doing it is to congratulate him for not unilaterally violating a treaty, right? Have I missed something?? (Plus there’s still plenty of us there.)

Our standards set so low, how much further can they drop?

79. JamesR says:

Yes, as genuine as the accent he uses. Kissinger only loses his in private when really angry, Obama can only maintain his for speeches. As if we’re not worth it nor paying attention.

80. JamesR says:

PS – trial and error has just shown that there’s apparently a word filter here – is that new? Never posted the word I tried before, but it went with my rape analogy and rhymed with half of country. Pronounce with schwa and you’ll get it. (We’re ALL getting it.)

I understand the relief from burden this provides the moderators, and understand you must get a lot of profane SPAM, still sometimes the old words are the best, as the old concepts are in play. Apparently it’s not all of Carlin’s deadly seven: Shit, Piss, Fuck, ____, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, Tits – it’s *Cənt* here apparently. I can live with that, your call but didn’t know ’till now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words#The_words and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvLTJfYnik

81. Monoceros Forth says:

But to compare Obama to an arbitrary standard that’s somewhere between Teddy Roosevelt…

You’ve just vitiated your own argument. You’re admitting tacitly that there’s a spectrum of real, actual Presidents who range in quality from as low as Nixon to as high as Teddy Roosevelt. You also admit openly that Obama’s about as good as the guy at the bottom of that spectrum. We’re not disappointed that he’s worse than some mythical strawman superman; we’re disappoint that he doesn’t even rise as high as the middle of that spectrum.

82. JamesR says:

Well, you did name the blog “Americablog,” not ‘half-a-basket of gayrightsblog’ so there’s where to start.

America.

All of it.

Just the fact I admit to voting for him, I’m pretty sure because it was on a paper absentee ballot, but that’s only because our system is so broken I chose sanity over insanity for the sake of what’s left of the Republic. For starters – that is not anything Obama or super whoeverpresident could fix in a day or a term or two, but the voting system? IT’S FUCKING BROKEN! And. for starters, because that’s where democracy starts, Obama has been completely silent on this issue. He’s even been silent on racial gerrymandering and racial disenfeanchisement the boldest and nakedest I have ever seen, and again crickets. Begging the question of whether he wants not to appear “too gay” he can’t even appear “too black” – a level of pathetic pathology again the depth of which I have never publicly seen, fitting in a literary way, and fitting in a way a dick is so far up our nation’s ass it’s like it’s part of us now.

As a gay man, I know what it’s like to experience less civil rights than my fellow citizens, again not to beg a question, that of whether we all have less rights in a society when one group is deprived, I actually HAVE LESS RIGHTS than the majority. This experience informs my perception of OTHER rights other groups, classes, and even nations do not have. It makes me more sensitive. It makes us all more sensitive, and naturally produces common cause, in people with natural emotional and political instincts.

Obama does not have this sense. He grew up NOT deprived. Save the ubiquitous social discrimination he could encounter, and of course the target he NOW is for our small percentage of crazies, he has never ever had to fight for his rights. He was born in MY generation, and it’s the post rights-fighting generation. For him. When you can’t get a cab in front of your house because you’re black, yet have a chauffer and will for the rest of your life, well, it’s not an ordinary experience. Neither are international schools prep schools and Harvard.

I voted for a potential Malcolm-X, or a possible Frederick Douglass. Call my cyincal-sounding bones naive – but there IS always hope, at least at first. What we got was Uncle Tom. Or worse – only History will reveal that. The fact that he’s not Bring ’em Young does not change what he is, again, my vote and my support of some of the decent things he’s done does not change this – the excuse that a President has done some decent things – like that’s a positive – was the one and only argument those who supported and those who tolerated Bush gave. Remember?? They had to look at that to avoid the pain, like a rape victim telling herself or himself it’s not that bad, endure, isolated parts of it may even feel good, it will be over soon. To each his own, I am not judging. I prefer the pain and the awareness.

I believe that’s the core of the argument, the issue that sparked this thread – those who choose to ignore the pain and violation of the rape, to wait, to look for good within evil, coincidentally sparing themselves more pain, and those who cannot do that and have not moved from their (our) outrage because our outrage has not been addressed. There are those who can live with political outrage and parse it out, to let it – to MAKE it – not control your life consuming it with anger, and those who have learned to live despite it. The Bush years taught me that. As did the AIDS years – you can be angry, you can retain anger and moral outrage, but at the same time you MUST not let it consume you and must live – despite it. But you still *have* the outrage. People reading just this blog and just my posts owhn Obama and Bush might assume I am a festering sputtering ball of spit and bile. Well, part of me is LOL – but it is reserved for when and where I can properly express it. It certainly is not the black box ballot. Others simply cannot process the anger and betrayal – or rather they need to process it, they cannot handle it, so they start at it and work backwards and numb themselves, or simply tell themselves it’s not so bad. And bank their fires. Again to each his own but then they still canNOT say what is is not. It is at it is. How you feel about it, what you do about it, well, you do what you can where you can.

So to make a short conclusion of that last paragraph, I have common cause with an Obot, because WE have common cause as AMERICANS, it’s just I prefer my Emperor naked. It is what it is. Let’s work with what IS.

Here’s what IS:

1 Electronic Repuke-owned ‘proprietary’ unverifiable vote stealing devices, that render our Democracy a sick hollow joke and our politicians ultimately all Alvin Greene. Obama? Crickets.
    2 Unverifiable mortgages following close at heel, people in MY AMERICA still being thrown into the streets because of them. Obama? crickets.
    2a Not ONE banker in jail, indictment, Grand Jury investigation, regulatory agencies even further neutered.
    3 Guantanimo. [everything about Guantanimo ellipted here for space]
    4 Extrajudicial killing of American citizens (If you don’t have life you have no other rights)
    4a Drone everything
    5 BP Pwns us, as does TransCanada. Although to be fair he never campaigned against them…
    6 Mild insurance reform coupled with the equivalent of a mandated private tax. Passed off as Health For Everybody nothing to look at go home you got what you wanted. Which does apply to the insurance companies, they got what they wanted.
    7 Our infrastructure crumbling, millions out of work, labor wasted bridges falling, no leadership no change no ideas just the inertia of entropy chaos and decay.

Do we need more? There are plenty more. I thank Gaius et al here for posting about it. And humorously tip my hat to the fact that NOTHING he’s posted about has been called in to question. Just the fact it makes some readers feel bad. ROFL Get over it Marys, it’s what’s happening. Wake up. Yet there is more:

8 The Patriot Act, NDAA, National Security State Fatherland Security what-has-happened-to-my-America Terrorists Have Won acts. So Wrong I truly don’t know where to begin, so like point 3 I will just leave it.

Though the faux-outrage over the ‘betrayal’ of what little has been revealed of the National Security Surveillance State is as naive as delicious. Though pathetic. As if the ATM after the assraping were a surprise! To those of us who are aware of our raping: not a surprise. (Not using “ATM” as acronym for Automatic Teller Machine, Google it)

9, last one I will enumerate, simply this administration’s first DOMA brief, lack of leadership on it and DADT, Tepid foot dragging fear and recalcitrance, victories some are eating as manna he shit out his Unicorn ass rather than from legal rulings and the Tide of History and public sentiment Obama resists. Opaquely. Now ENDA and immigration thrown under the bus. Oddly I’d have more respect for him if he were doing that just to spite Glenn Greenwald because at least he’d have been doing it all on purpose.

Not to mention the ‘sequester’ that he is NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT as people die. Literally, die.

More death. No rights when you’re dead…

Not using his political power to change things but to rest in it, to whine in it, to retreat to it cyclicly, yet not wade into one of the most historically terrible deadlocked Congresses, at the worst time, so far, or not even trying! – and to the Obots let me cite example: to not be perceived as trying is the same if not worse than trying secret. A public loss after a public effort is not the same loss as a drop-the-ball. Don’t care what eleventy dimensional chess he’s playing in secret, of he’s not playing publicly he’s lost the power the public gave him. His real power. He does not know how to use this power. In nerdspeak he’d be a Dunsel. This applies to everything he’s said he wants to do and hasn’t.

But back to the original topic, the impetus of the thread, in a nutshell: The Gay rights achievements he has done WE HAVE DONE. I am not so easily bought. Especially when it’s with the currency of our own fucking efforts. I am sad for you John, if you are truly that purchasable, and that cheap.

I will NEVER FORGET the President who said NOTHING about a most corrosive carpet-bagged amendment in North Carolina – ONE WEEK before the election, such as it was, he came here and went on Jimmy Kimmel and NCState and talked about Student Loans. Not that that’s not a pressing issue, but the State wasn’t voting to amend the Constitution against Student Loans that next week. One week AFTER that vote. that he could have made a real difference weighing in on, education the voters on, he gave some smarmy interview about how he personally likes the Gay Marriage now. WTF? So many layers of WTF. Thousands of straight families and children directly affected by this amendment, (Gay Marriage was already illegal,) it was a SEEN and KNOWN side-effect of this ALECvomit, hurting CHILDREN and this president DID NOTHING when he could have at least tried, because it had the stink of The Gay on it.

This tells me ALL I NEED TO KNOW. This tells EVERYBODY all ANYBODY needs to know, of they choose to look. If they choose the pain. If they choose to acknowledge they and their country are being raped, not just their own cənt.

Just as the AIDS issue was more than just The Gay and the disease but about Ronald Reagan being an inhuman POS who allowed the worst part of our worst national nature to surface and grow, The Gay issue is for Obama another opportunity and another canary. Which while half-alive still shown the way he ‘leads,’ how he behaves, who he is. “At least he’s not Mitt Romney” is not an achievement nor a fitting epitaph, though it looks like it’s all he’ll get. Heckofajob.

And if you’re reading this Barry, Please for the sake of the Nation DO THE RIGHT THING(S.) A good year and some months left to make an effort. Failing in a good cause doesn’t make you a failure, failing because you didn’t try does.

PS – you wanted feedback – please feedback on this:

Regarding the National Security Information State – I note with irony. please someone prove me wrong, Disqus behaving very much as though it’s a tool of the State as well – it takes over, and, ironically for the web, takes what was public and then hides it! Second generation interweb tactic – seriously – ALL info is archived, but now not everyone can see it. Am I the only one who sees this? Who at least sees this as a symptom of such a thing?? Comments are not searchable because the length is truncated requiring refreshing as spiders don’t. and all content from two years ago here and on other Disqus blogs IS GONE. ALL the debate about DOMA, immigration, etc (EVERYTHING) is fucking GONE. Where? Will it return?? It’s not here now, not here for anyone to research not here for me to insert a link to as I can – as I archive what I write and have tested the old links – it is not here. Debate is silenced, erased, your blog is cheapened, stolen, hollowed out. If I were you, John, I’d hire some real programmers and build your own site so you can archive what you’ve built in a way that can’t be erased or denied access to – that’s the whole POINT of a blog, isn’t it? It’s one of the few freedoms WE STILL HAVE. Until some faceless corporation wipes it away eh?

83. JamesR says:

How I wish you were wrong. But you’re not.

84. JamesR says:

Big like, and like THANKS FLL

85. JamesR says:

Yeah, that guy I voted for in 2008 was awesome. Too bad he didn’t become President.

86. Bill_Perdue says:

No quite true. Obama has a lot backing, including Reid and Pelosi. Your whole party is rotten to the core and it’s not just Obama’s fault.

87. JamesR says:

The Fourth Amendment not being honored and restored by any sitting President is a disgrace and treasonous oath violation of each one. To you it seems lalalalala it will happen anyway – to you, to all of us – whereas the Chief of State CAN stop it, is OBLIGATED and SWORN to stop it, and is FORSWORN by continuation of treasonous policy or inaction to end it. Period, End of a discussion that is not a discussion. Few things are as absolute as a Sith might prefer, the Constitution must be one of those things or our Country is nothing. (And he’s fucked with more than just the 4th amendment)

We are experiencing austerity and he’s paving the way for more austerity. He has validated those hawks and empowered them. I’d like to say your vision of the America you want is different from mine, but it looks like the vision of the America we actually inhabit at this moment is radically different as well. Good luck with that, Ostrichite might be a better moniker.

88. JamesR says:

Yes, different ring of Hell for ya when you know better.

89. JamesR says:

I too am now done with Democrats. Big Like, thanks.

90. HolyMoly says:

On Guantanamo, Obama did NOT want to close it down. He merely wanted to MOVE it to another location (Illinois — GITMO North — same injustices, different place). Congress refused to fund the move. He turned this loss into a “win” — “I wanted to close it down, but Congress wouldn’t let me.” And many fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

On Iraq, Obama did NOT want to bring the troops home. Bush had a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with the Iraqi government that put an end date on the occupation. As that deadline approached, Obama attempted to persuade Maliki to allow the troops to remain (the main point of contention being that U.S. troops must be immune from prosecution in Iraqi courts). Maliki referred the Obama administration to Parliament, where there was no way in hell they’d approve an extension. Long story short, if O had his way, we’d still have a large occupation force there (in addition to the “embassy”). He was able to turn his loss into a “win,” though, for the election: “He brought our troops home! Vote for him!” And many fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

91. Ninong says:

It’s a tempting thought to just abandon the whole mess but it isn’t going to happen. That’s just wishful thinking. Obama would have to have the support of a majority in both the House and the Senate agreeing with him on that.

ppppfffttt

Actually I’m suggesting we pull out and just abandon everything the previous administration destroyed during their eight years in office, including their 3/4 of a billion dollar “embassy” (sic) boondoggle.

And a price tag to run it of some $3.5 billion / year. For one frickin’ embassy in one country. (Up from $1.5b a couple years ago.)

I say we wait until the Iraqis can guarantee the safety of a foreign embassy on their soil, which is the normal order of diplomacy, on their own. The mistake made in Iran isn’t that we didn’t have a military fortress in place. It was that we failed to remove our diplomats in time.

What alternative?

Like!

96. DonewithDems says:

There are so many problems with Obama’s administration I don’t know where to begin. He’s been a big disappointment from the day he decided not to investigate the war crimes of the Bush administration, the failure to go after the rogue banks, the dragging of his feet on LGBT issues, the constant cave-in he calls negotiation, the perpetuation and enhancing of the erosion of civil liberties started by Bush and on and on. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the few LGBT victories that he deigned to support. I don’t call that “doing well”. He’s a lying, fraud only slightly better than McCain or Romney would have been. I voted for him the first time. I didn’t make that mistake the second time. From now on my votes go to real liberal progressive candidates and most will not be Democrats.

97. MichaelS says:

Ha, thanks! The scary thing is, that was just off the top of my head… When I stop to think further about the disaster he has created, I shiver:

Codifying forever 95% of the Bush tax cuts (even the Repugs knew they would bankrupt the country when they passed them, that’s why the cuts had a 10-year expiration date)… and now Obama has helped the Republicans permanently “starve the beast.”

Then of course was his “brilliant” plan to corner the Republicans with the sequester deal in order to extend the national debt limit, because he didn’t have the courage to use his OWN authority under the 14th Amendment to extend the debt unilaterally. Now we are stuck with these cuts… forever. (Does anyone think for one minute that Bush/Cheney would have hesitated to do so?)

Much more, but must stop thinking about this…. I’ll bust a blood vessel.

98. FunMe says:

How do I feel about Obama? Well, let me put it this way. After voting for him in 2008 and being upset with him after the many times he betrayed the American people by going back on his promises, I decided NOT to vote for him in 2012. This was the first time I did not vote for a Democrat for President. (No I did not vote for a republicon … I think Mickey Mouse got my vote).

So do you really want to know how I feel about Obama?

99. Ninong says:

Are you suggesting we pull out altogether and just abandon everything the previous administration built during their eight years in office? That would never fly politically. We’re stuck with what the Bush-Cheney team built.

As far as that embassy compound is concerned, that’s the staffing level — including security contractors — that the State Department has determined necessary to prevent it being overrun by locals a la Tehran in 1979.

Can you imagine the uproar if any nation tried to build a highly fortified compound containing 17,000 foreign employees — including 8000 troops and security personnel, with air-missile defenses and machine gun emplacements — in the middle of Washington or NYC? And that furthermore, this hypothetical nation asserted full diplomatic immunity for every one of those 17,000 employees?

We’d call it what it looks like: A occupation military base masquerading as an embassy.

101. AdmNaismith says:

Yes, all of this is traced back to the warning about bin Laden that was ignored. The question is: Was the (much, much smaller) intelligence community trolling data they way they are now to produce the question of why those guys were learning to fly but not land airplanes?

I submit there is better police work to be done that does not shred the 4th amendment.

102. Bill_Perdue says:

Reading is fundamental.

Democrats are the enemy (and so are Republicans).

103. Jonas Grumby says:

Pretty early on in his first term, it was obvious to me that Obama was a Reagan Conservative. I, quite frankly, can’t stand him and think he wasted a golden opportunity. Despite a handful of successes, I think he’s been a disaster. Yeah, yeah, ya can’t get anything through the GOP filibusters and House, but you can lead and fight. He does little of either.

That being said, he is LEAPS and BOUNDS better than anything that crawls out of the GOP primeval ooze. And while I will gladly hammer Obama, Reid and some others on blogs and in answers to polls, I will never, ever pitch a fit (like many Liberals did in 2010) and fail to vote Dem. The Right is dangerous not just to America but to humanity.

In short, can’t stand Obama, but voting for he and his anyway.

I’m tired of that bullshit false dichotomy retort.

No. I didn’t want McCain or Romney. I don’t want to have to choose between Greater Evil and Lesser Evil.

What I want and will affirmatively vote for is Not Evil.

105. slideguy says:

OK, that clears it up. Any politician whose positions aren’t exactly congruent to yours is a gangster.

Makes you wonder how much calculation went into that picture of him early on in the 2008 campaign, with his feet up on a desk, and the soles worn out of his shoes. It was that exact picture they used to shoot down McCain as being so rich and so out of touch that he didn’t even know how many houses he owned, and to make fun of Palin’s expensive hair-dos and wardrobe.

107. mpeasee says:

…yes, he is right and has been right; but he ruined the chance for the green party to really become a movement, Nader crushed the grass and ground roots of a party the really could have been nurtured in a real congressional or senatorial challenge, now we have tea baggers.

And that, I believe, is the real Obama. Introverted, contemplative, indecisive, and would rather be off someplace reading a good book than participating. Actually gets offended when he’s confronted and forced to give an opinion or make a choice. The man who gives the lofty speeches that makes people want to jump up and shout “Preach on, Brother Obama!” is an act, a face he puts on. Not to say he isn’t a great actor. I just don’t think he’s a particularly good President.

109. mpeasee says:

…you forgot the “eye roll”…

110. mpeasee says:

…i believe in spirits, souls, consciousness…what is wrong with that? Not sure that I understand what Tinkerbell’s living or dying has to do with Nader.

111. Bill_Perdue says:

Elizabeth Warren is a zionist, so the answer is yes.

Bernie Sanders is the best we have but he enables Democrats who are thieves and gangsters, just like Republicans. Raul Grijalva was in MECHA and I first heard of him in Tucson in 85 or 86. He’s like Ernie Chambers in Nebraska and a very few other Democrats. They enable gangsters and are in the wrong party. It they left and became independent or openly socialist leftists I’d support them.

112. zorbear says:

and contractors…

113. zorbear says:

You’ve just described the guy who showed up for that first debate with Romney. Remember him? Mr. Bored Stiff and Too Proud to respond?

Anyone that hadn’t figured him out after the first four years shoulda hada clue right about there…

114. slideguy says:

You consider Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and Raul Grijalva gangsters?

115. zorbear says:

Well, I hope you don’t expect the guy who shines the shoes of the guy who shines the shoes of the guy who shines the shoes of the guy who shines the shoes of the Ambassador to shine his own shoes — now do you?

116. mirth says:

Someone like that did climb the political ranks and did get elected, and if he had been genuine, if he had done what he promised, no congress could have stopped him. The will of we citizens would have stopped their bullshit right quicklike.

117. Bill_Perdue says:

No, he’s a Democrat, and they and Republicans have few differences.

118. carl says:

I’m not thrilled with Obama at all, and for exactly those disappointing reasons and others. He’s about as far left as Nixon – and accomplishes less (I’d still vote for Nixon over Romney any day btw). But to compare Obama to an arbitrary standard that’s somewhere between Teddy Roosevelt and Mahatma Gandhi – to who we WISH he was – isn’t useful either. That person – if she ever existed – could never climb the ranks to get elected. If elected could never get anything done because the whole system is operating at cross purposes. Obama is almost as good as we can get with the way things are – Hilary might have been slightly better – but not by a lot.

119. mirror says:

I’m with Monoceros Forth. He has shifted the “Overton Window” rightward all by himself. I’ll even take it a step further. I think that is what his backers intended. I’ve grown steadily more displeased as his presidency has gone on. I honestly think he is as big a tool as Bush, perhaps more so because we can’t say he isn’t smart enough to know better.

120. mirror says:

So, now you are showing the same objective, to get left of center people not to vote. Isn’t that what the GOP wants? Sounds like you agree with them. You want the those dissatisfied on the left out of the mix.

121. mirth says:

All of your comments give me warm fuzzies. I love reading you.

122. Edeiwmurk Nivek says:

There is a difference. It’s just smaller than the difference between either of them and acceptable.

123. Swami_Binkinanda says:

Didn’t you vote for Nader? You get the government most people vote for, and most people…well, disappoint.