Weekend cooking – Baba ganoush (eggplant dip)

We often make a meal out of baba ganoush and hummus with veggies. It’s so easy to make and so tasty.

An American in Paris, France. BA in History & Political Science from Ohio State. Provided consulting services to US software startups, launching new business overseas that have both IPO’d and sold to well-known global software companies. Currently launching a new cloud-based startup. Full bio here.

10 Responses to “Weekend cooking – Baba ganoush (eggplant dip)”

Sounds like you are channeling Bill Reilly’s inner loofa.

2. Sweetie says:

Carcinogens

3. Sweetie says:

Chinese eggplant can be cooked so that it retains its purple color.

4. That’s only when it’s shiny and new! Cook it and it’s just sort of greyish. If I wanted a sort of bland, spongy vegetable substance that you can serve with sauce, there are always the much better tasting and textured summer squashes.

And it’s such a beautiful color!

6. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

I am such an eggplant freak. I’ll try this tomorrow. I think I’ll go with the lime juice instead of the lemon juice.

I love eggplant! Try this one ( a condiment) Find long thin Japanese eggplants . Peel them, cut them in to chunks, saute them in olive oil and terriaki sauce (sugar, soy sauce, garlic to taste), Sprinkle in some Japanese Mirin (rice vinegar) and goma shiro ( salted black sesame seeds). Chill in the frig, salt and pepper to taste. It makes a great cool side dish or filling for a sandwich .

8. Eggplant is one of those foodstuffs that I can accept is, in some theoretical sense, edible and perhaps even palatable, but I’ve never succeeded in convincing myself that it’s worth spending and money or effort on, not when there is so much else out there to cook. It’s tolerable I suppose when smothered with so much else that you can kind of forget the eggplant is there, but that’s hardly an endorsement.

9. tsuki says:

Try roasting your eggplant over a barbecue for a smoky flavor. Cut in half and coat with olive oil.

10. Drew2u says:

Fun fact, I just had eggplant for the first time a couple of months ago! It was not at all the texture and taste I was expecting and I can’t – for the life of me – figure out why it was such a no-no food in my house, growing up!

I used part of the eggplant as a kind of potato-soup with puree’d broccoli and cauliflower. The color was off-putting, but the taste was nice!

My father always laughs at “Baba ganoush” because he thinks it was the name of some character on Seinfeld.