GOP chair Steele threatens to resign

This is bad for the Republicans. It’s evidence of the ongoing civil war we’ve been writing about, evidence of their intolerance (Steele is, after all, somewhat moderate and black), and evidence more generally of the vacuum of leadership in the party – if Steele were a strong leader, he wouldn’t be facing this kind of insurrection.

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele told FOX News that part of his job is to “manage the money” and suggested that if committee members strip him of that authority he’ll step aside.

Also today, the GOP state party chairs will be voting on whether to relabel the Democratic party the “socialist” party. Seriously. Putting aside the humor of it all, it’s one more indication of how the party is so beholden to the far right that it’s skewing their entire focus. The GOP should be focusing on how to fix the economy, or more generally, how to win back moderates and win elections. Passing resolutions renaming the Democrats “socialists” is the political equivalent of kicking sand and crying “na na na na na.” It’s childish, to be sure, but it’s also bizarre, even disordered, behavior for grown adults.

CyberDisobedience on Substack | @aravosis | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn. John Aravosis is the Executive Editor of AMERICAblog, which he founded in 2004. He has a joint law degree (JD) and masters in Foreign Service from Georgetown; and has worked in the US Senate, World Bank, Children's Defense Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, and as a stringer for the Economist. He is a frequent TV pundit, having appeared on the O'Reilly Factor, Hardball, World News Tonight, Nightline, AM Joy & Reliable Sources, among others. John lives in Washington, DC. .

23 Responses to “GOP chair Steele threatens to resign”

1. Laur says:

Sort of makes you wonder about their parents. Ahh…let’s not and claim we did.

2. serge says:

Katon Dawson, here we come. One unnecessary, but predictable reason for me to be ashamed to be a South Carolinian. Get rid of the black guy, and replace him with Atwater-lite. Perfect.

3. NAVDOC3rdMAR says:

Well, let me see. I would normally go for the compazine but, with a name like father_time there might be some contraindications because of age. I guess I’ll go with either Dicyclomine; Scopolamine depending on your history. lol. Hang in there, we can only hope the dems don’t screw the pooch like they are apt to do. Later…HMC LAVADOG

4. nick says:

“It’s Lord of the Flies time in the GOP. And Piggy is about to get his glasses broken.”

Funniest thing I read all week.

5. teammarty says:

Renaming the Dems as the “Democrat Socialist Party” (I wish they were left of center) will have more positive effect with the voters than any “new ideas” ever will. Just look at Raygun. He never had an idea that wasn’t on his script, he just sneeringly called everyone he disagreed with a liberal. It took 25 years for anyone to dare to call themselves one in public.

I always use the Nazi party for the Reps and the Not-So-Nazi Party for the Dems.

6. scottinsf says:

Agreed. Great analogy.

7. Ferry_Fey says:

“It’s Lord of the Flies time in the GOP. And Piggy is about to get his glasses broken. ”

A great description, very evocative. Cries out for a slick movie-trailer voiceover.

8. Father_Time says:

Excellent comment.

9. Father_Time says:

Hearing Steele’s comments, I’ll be spending plenty time in sick-bay trying to relieve this nausea. Got anything in your bag for nausea doc?

It’s sweet of them to want to rename someone else’s party, although I’m not sure where they get the authority to do that. Maybe it’s in their Bible. I don’t know. In any case, I’m comfortable with Democratic Socialist but I’m not confident that the Party of No will be comfortable with National Socialist Republican.

11. NAVDOC3rdMAR says:

Everytime I see steele try to talk cool and hip it looks so contrived and if I see that, I would imagine that most young adults would see right through that fake shit. Also, it makes me laugh when I think of all the racist, rednecks, bigots, morons and the other occupants of their big tent just screaming bloody murder that a black man is leading their party. I just laugh and laugh it’s to good to be true. I think he’s gold. Stay where you are and don’t change a thing you’re sitting pretty. SEMPER FI!

12. Father_Time says:

Yes. The process of natural selection is alive and well in politics. Maybe we need a new party to edge out these dinosaurs. One that would reflect the people’s will a little closer. Maybe a “labor party”?

or

Maybe rapid advancment of the
    Green Party”?

13. caphillprof says:

When it comes to Michael Steele, I’ve never known how much there was there. Since the Southern Strategy, to be a black Republican has made just about as much sense as to be a gay Republican. Why do they consort with folk who don’t want them?

I thought it typical, that the nation having elected a black Democrat as president, the GOP response was to put on a black face by picking Steele as the titular head. You can see the emptiness of this by the GOP establishment electing Steele then undercutting him everywhere and always.

14. Father_Time says:

Indeed, the FIRST socialist. The idea of being asked to care for others less fotunate frightens capitalists. So there is no way they can be Christians. I’ve always felt suspicious of American Christianity. With all the wealth, poverty never goes away. Rather it steadily gets worse.

15. osage says:

STEELE IS TOO FAR LEFT FOR TODAY’S DEVOLVING REPUBLICAN PARTY

What’s left of today’s GOP is a genetically and or psychologically deviant mélange of morally and ethically defective mutants, miscreants and kamikaze loyalists who are crashing and burning all things Republican. They are the figurative buzzards and hyenas fighting over the last scraps of a carcass riddled with maggots and festering clumps of putrefied viscera. They are the opportunistic parasites whose very existence is and always has been dependent on sucking blood from the engorged bellies of alpha predators. The prevalence of fear, paranoia and irrational hatred in today’s GOP represents the antemortem gasps of a doomed species struggling to survive in evaporating pools of their own toxic waste as they mercilessly slice and dice one another in futile attempts to become the biggest fish in an increasingly smaller and smaller pond.

16. Father_Time says:

Listening to this guy on CNN really turned my stomach. Gratuitous patriotic rhetoric belies empty patriotism in my book. I’m not so sure that its good for us, (with your permission), that he leaves the General Opposition Party, (GOP). More and more people can see through this laughable form of conservative rhetoric. Maybe the longer he is allowed to potificate waving the flag up peoples arses, the more people he will enlighten to the shear ignorance of republican conservatism.

17. cowboyneok says:

Jesus Christ was a socialist. I guess Jesus admonishing people to sell everything and follow him was somehow something to be ashamed of?

Do Republicans hate Jesus Christ’s socialism?

18. cowboyneok says:

” It’s childish, to be sure, but it’s also bizarre, even disordered, behavior for grown adults.”

Hmm… I detect a pattern here with Republicans… bizarre, disordered, childish…. yep, I detect a very definite pattern!

19. Savage8862 says:

I have no problem with being label a socialist. But seriously, the DNC and all talking heads connected with the Democratic party need to start going out to all media outlets and producing commercials that say: “We are trying to find solutions to fix this nation – to help everyday citizens and what is the Republican’s plan? More No’s (show a montage of “no, no, no,. no” from GOP leaders and then show a a picture of people raising their hands(giving the illusion that these people are state GOP leaders) with the tag line at the end of the commercial something to the effect, “The Republicans’ plan, voting to call the Democrats names. GOP, the same old party of no.”

And all Democratic talking heads need to repeat these lines every time they are interviewed.

20. MsJoanne says:

Oh please, please, please let them rename us the Democrat Socialist Party.

That would be the final nail in the coffin of the ever faster dying GNoP. Every thinking person (the other 70+% of the American populace) will run fast and far. It will be the death knell heard around the world.

I’d say RIP, but I hope they roll in their own demise for all eternity.

21. Dianne_in_DC says:

I say give it to Cheney. Anybody see MoDowd today? Quite a chuckle.

22. MoonDragon says:

I’m having flashbacks to the original M*A*S*H with Hotlips (Sally Kellerman) standing in sopping wet bathrobe, covered in soap screaming at Henry Blake that “This isn’t a hospital, it’s an insane asylum!” and threatening to resign her commission. Henry tells her to resign her commission and she leaves, sobbing.

Mr. Steele had better be careful what he wishes. It might be fulfilled.

23. Rommel says:

Why not call the Republican party the Fascist party? That would more true than the Republicans calling the Democrats “socialists”>