It’s moving day, I’m leaving NYC

Today is moving day. After two incredibly interesting years in New York City, I’m moving back to Washington, DC to take the fight directly to Donald Trump.

I love New York. I never lost the sense that people here, on the street at least, are some of the nicest folks anywhere. People talk to each other. They talk to strangers. You bond over the smallest, dumbest thing. It’s wonderful. Even the cops are nice. And I know there have been longstanding issues with the police in this city, but they’re actually nice. In DC, they’re not. To anyone. Try talking to a DC cop on patrol. Try asking a DC cop why there are 4 squad cars outside your apartment building with police tape blocking you way. More often than not, you get a brusque mono-syllabic blow-off. Talk to a NYC cop, they smile, are chatty, and helpful as hell. I’ve never seen anything like it.

My room with a view.

New Yorkers in the workplace, I’m less convinced. I only have my own anecdotal evidence to go on, but I fear working in this city requires a cutthroat, hypocritically bitchy attitude I’ve not seen in other places I’ve lived. In the workplace, New Yorkers go out of their way to be nice to you, while sharpening the blade behind their back. Again, this is just a working theory, but it’s something I’ve noticed.

But otherwise, it’s a great city. A bit hard to meet people, I’ve found. Lots of people are married with kids, and it’s awfully difficult to break into that when you’re new. (Though a younger nephew in Phoenix tells me the same is true there.) And a bit expensive. The cost of living in NYC is similar to that in DC, except for housing. In my neighborhood, in Long Island City, Queens, across the river from Manhattan, rent for a 700 sq ft one bedroom apartment runs $3,300. It’s worse in Manhattan, though better when you go further out in Queens. Still, I’d have to go pretty far out, in a neighborhood I might not want to live in, to pay the same I do for my condo in DC.

So, it’s back to DC. A lot of calculations went into my decision to move back. First and foremost, there’s more national political work in DC, and with Donald Trump as president, that work is needed more than ever. I can simply get more done by moving back. So I am.

I’ll be writing more about this likely in the days ahead. And may or may not be writing for the next few days during the move. Though I’ll still be tweeting and Facebooking — you can see those links below. Then I’m off to Chicago for a few months while I wait for my condo in DC to open up by early June. So stay tuned.

red-donateWith the election of Donald Trump, AMERICAblog’s independent journalism and activism is more needed than ever.

Please support our work with a generous donation. (If you prefer PayPal, use this link.) We don’t make much on advertising, we need your support to continue our work. Thanks.

Also, check out our Trump Swag store, where you can get your “Illegitimate” t-shirts and more. All the proceeds go to supporting our independent journalism at AMERICAblog.

Follow me on Twitter & Facebook:

20 Responses to “It’s moving day, I’m leaving NYC”

1. Wild Child says:

The trick is to be more persistent and stubborn than the opposition.

2. Houndentenor says:

I’m from the south so I’m used to people being nice to my face and then stabbing me in the back. That’s just how people roll where I grew up. I loved NYC because you mostly knew where you stood. I loved the Germans even more. They just said what they were going to say and then moved on to the next topic. No guessing. I liked it. I realize that your field may have been more cut-throat than mine, but then I did work for lawyers and banksters in between the singing gigs. I don’t know what gets more cut-throat than that.

3. LOL No, fortunately she has found a new home. Not in heaven, with a real person :)

4. Yep, she’ll be happy back in Dc. We have a big hallway that she loves to run in, and a park nearby, and my balcony that she loves to lounge on.

5. That describes my experience perfectly. And I still wonder if, in the workplace, people aren’t particularly nasty in NYC. That was my experience in various workplaces. Very nice people who then gladly knife you in the back. I’ve never seen anything like it to that degree.

6. Houndentenor says:

I lived in NYC for 17 years. It toughed me up a great deal. People are friendly there. That seems to surprise people from other parts of the country because the city has a reputation. The reality is that the rest of the country has gotten a lot less nice while New Yorkers have been through a lot together (especially you know what) and I think that gave NYers a sense of “we’re all in this together”. It is a hard place to make friends, but then that’s always hard as an adult. Everyone else is so busy and already has a full slate of work and family commitments. It’s possible though. I miss my NYC friends, the endless variety of interesting places to eat and things to do. I just couldn’t afford the rent any more and I never paid anything close to $3300 a month!

7. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

I wonder if the cat from hell is still there.

8. Zorba says:

Sasha will be fine. She was with John when he lived in Washington DC previously, and she has traveled with him to Chicago a number of times, sometimes staying with John’s parents for months without John.
    She is a well-seasoned traveler.
    And I agree that we need John in DC. :-)

9. tamarz says:

glad to have you back in our town. We need you!

10. mgiltz says:

Darn it! I’m out of town and can’t help lug boxes! Happy moving!

11. Demosthenes says:

Safe travels!

12. petewestcentral says:

The aerial shots of Chicago’s women’s rally blew me away. Cheers to Chicago!

13. Badgerite says:

Don’t forget Sasha.

14. I won’t be able to do the national political work that I love.

15. Yeah I like New York, and will write more in a few days

Bon boyage, mon ami.

17. goulo says:

That was interesting to read your thoughts on differences between NYC and DC! I lived in NYC a long time ago in a life far far away (disliked it at first, then grew to like it a lot) but indeed it’s an expensive city to live in!

Good luck with the move!

18. barbarajmay says:

I hope your move goes smoothly and your dog forgives you for uprooting her. I know that you had hoped to make a career in New York, and I imagine it’s bittersweet to be moving on. But you belong in DC. We need you in DC. Now finish moving, and get back to work saving us from this lunatic.

19. Demosthenes says:

Not to get too personal, but why did you not consider moving home to Chicago?

20. brel1 says:

Doubt NY has a monopoly on sharpened blades in the work place. Good Luck in DC in the Good Fight!!