San Francisco State University is investigating allegations that an African-American university employee physically accosted a white student for wearing dreadlocks and “misappropriating” Egyptian culture.

A YouTube video shows a young African-American woman arguing with a young white man about his hair. The woman repeatedly puts her hands on the man to stop him from walking away, while mocking and chastising him.

The victim, 22 year old environmental science major Cory Goldstein, say the woman initially approached him and said “sorry, we don’t want people with your hair here.” He responded, “wow, that’s really rude,” and walked away. She then followed him down two flights of stairs, and confronted him again.

Interestingly, in the later video, Goldstein says he does believe in the concept of “cultural appropriation,” but feels dreadlocks don’t qualify. (I will say, something about the original video looks fake to me. The young man and woman almost seem like they’re acting. Though it’s unclear why they would act this out and then let the university investigate it as real, which would be a serious violation of the school’s honor code. Just wanted to mention it.)

Cultural appropriation is part of a longer list of new “microaggression” grievances spreading like wildfire at college campuses across the country. It’s a tactic typically used to silence and/or punish other people with whom you disagree. Some of the previous cultural appropriation grievances at other universities include using the word ingredients in ethnic food, and wearing pilgrim and native american outfits at a Thanksgiving them party.

And I did a little research on dreadlocks. They don’t come from black culture. In fact they’re a cultural appropriation of hair from the ancient Greeks and others.

These are via a wonderfully detailed wikipedia entry:

by default 2016-03-30 at 11.09.46 AM by default 2016-03-30 at 11.09.37 AM by default 2016-03-30 at 11.09.30 AM by default 2016-03-30 at 11.09.26 AM by default 2016-03-30 at 11.09.18 AM

The video of the confrontation, and Goldstein’s interview later, are below.

Follow me on Twitter: @aravosis  — Win a pony! (not really)

93 Responses to “Video shows white San Fran student accosted because dreadlocks “appropriate” Egyptian culture”

THANK YOU!! I was starting to think I was the only person who could see. IT IS CLEARLY STAGED! They don’t “ALMOST look like they are acting.” They DO look like they are acting. This pc stuff is so tiresome, but even worse when fake.
    So much like the many “racist” acts, such as burnt crosses and KKK graffiti are often exposed as staged by the groups who lodge the complaints.
    I’d say I hope they continue because it cancels their credibility, but too many fools fall for it, giving them some measure of success.

2. Glen Thompson says:

I agree with one of John’s comments that the video looks staged. I’ve watched it half a dozen times and notice things that are inconsistent. Only one person looks at them, others walk past without even glancing at them. If you witnessed this type of confrontation occurring would you not at the very least glance at them? Another area shows them, for a split second, actually smiling at each other. The whole thing does not ring true.

3. mcasey6 says:

Both terms are pretty broad, especially regarding privilege. Historically some white people (british aristocracy maybe) have had tremendous social privilege, while others (say, Poles or Irish) have been abused, killed, enslaved and crapped on about as badly as anyone on earth. People of color is REALLY broad, especially if it includes Native Americans, Indians, middle easterners and those of African decent. Some have been slave owners and runners, others slaves themselves. Some both. Some neither.
    If we honestly are categorizing people by skin color, things get extremely complicated fast.
    That being said, the racist f*ckers that beat you deserve the worst punishment possible. They don’t represent any race, including the human one.

4. Voodoo Chile says:

What a horrible person she is. The most noteworthy thing to me is how she was physically aggressive with him, but as he tried to get out of her grip she started crying out that he was physically assaulting her. Had it not been caught on camera, the story would have about some privileged white guy assaulting a woman of color.

5. Tim Shay says:

No Blacks can wear their hair Straight. Michelle obama you are racist with your straight hair. Go back to the Fro nigga

6. Tim Shay says:

Keep it up racist black people…. You’re going to get the Trump elected with all of your stupid petty racist bullshit.

7. quax says:

Because there aren’t enough actual problems to get excited about.

Elitist 1st world manufactured grievances.

8. TheAngryFag says:

Trigger Warning: Reality doesn’t come with trigger warnings. Deal with it. #sorryboutit :)

9. Tom Ryan says:

To me it seems like there’s a tendency to over focus on the descriptive words. The more important thing, to me, is that there is a genuine respect for a person. Even if they’re very different than you, that you respect them as a person and don’t have contempt for who they are.

I think this is universally challenging, as it is common human nature to view things that are different from your view point on a lower tier, setting up direct or implied contempt.

But if one can remember to have respect for another person, no matter how different they are, that can have a dramatic impact on the world.

10. Caseyjr says:

Maybe this was some kind of “social experiment” video, like Sam Pepper’s inappropriate butt-grab pranks.

11. Caseyjr says:

Your reply should contain a trigger warning, some communities may be offended. /s

12. countervail says:

A cadet in the Amandla Stendberg, “you can’t do your hair that way,” cultural appropriation police.

13. Baal says:

Indeed, otherwise culture becomes stagnant. Jazz would be crap-dull without the harmonic concepts of Europeans like Bach, Mozart, Bartok, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum, concepts of voice leading that go back to early renaissance choral music, and without African and Afro-Latino rhythmic ideas. Fortunately geniuses created jazz without giving a rat’s ass where an idea came from if it sounds good.

As you say, a basic human right. Never heard it put that way before, but if you don’t mind, I’m going to use the phrase the next time it comes up (just like if you played something I liked I would go off and practice it to try to figure out what you just did).

14. Baal says:

The music was all around him and he liked it. So he copied it. Just about every musician is influenced by others.

15. Want Dreadlocks hair styles?

16. emjayay says:

Bonnie “Bonita” Tindle. By the time I typed SFSU into Google “SFSU dreadlocks” came up.

17. Brittney Miles says:

Cultural appropriation is a thing, it exists. It is far more nuanced than we typically encounter it but can be seen in the political and economic disenfranchisement and exploitation of marginalized groups (for example, yoga being economically fruitful in a western context, decontextualized from its roots, and a million dollar industry with no credit, acknowledgement, financial benefit, or service given towards it’s roots).

18. Brittney Miles says:

Black hair is political. Additionally, locs in recent history has served as hair of the oppressed and as inherently political, and religious. Locs are rarely just hair, particularly for black people. The examples you list are reflective of culture, however they can be styled in ways tied to culture…which isn’t inherently political depending on social politics. Plus, black people also can naturally have straight, blonde or red hair. This chick was wrong af and this was unacceptable but you reason you list isn’t why.

19. I know his name because he did a video explaining his side of what happened. The news did not have either name when I wrote this.

20. heimaey says:

I love how even some America Blog readers just can’t shake their racism.

21. michael says:

What is the girls name? Seems odd that writer knows his name and not hers or is that being hidden to protect her racism? Yes there are a lot of racist blacks out there or do people just want to bury their heads in the sand as though that isn’t part of the equation.

22. Rockerbabe says:

Cultural appropriation? Really? When was the last time anyone saw an American of African descent with straight blonde hair? Or straight red hair? African-American women appropriate white cultural beauty trends all the time and few if any white women get upset. These folks have way too much time on their hands.

23. But the weird thing is that the media is now interviewing their friends. This has gotten out of control if it’s a prank.

24. emjayay says:

Some student interviewed in that article said she’s a student. Maybe she works for the school in some part time work-study job or something, but I’m guessing not the Director of Diversity Training or anything.

25. emjayay says:

This was obviously one little bitty teeny event of virtually no importance, just interesting socially and politically and all that.

26. emjayay says:

I’m not surprised. I left off in 1991.

27. emjayay says:

Black – colored – Negro – Black.

28. emjayay says:

Well my non-European is about place of origin, not appearance. But you gotta include Russians in that, and that’s not in Europe (although let’s face it, it’s really all one continent). And then a whole lot of Israelis are European and or Russian. Let’s forget the whole thing, if we can somehow.

29. emjayay says:

I’ve never been a “people of color fan”. I’m not colorless. Some Chinese are as tannish pink as I am. It’s just all we have. Non-European would be more accurate, but that’s kind of like what everyone else was when I was a kid, “non-Catholic”, which can have a bit of judgement to it.

30. emjayay says:

That was odd. I figured that hippie skirtboy was just off a bit on Planet X.

31. heimaey says:

That’s the thing about minorities asking to be called something – it changes, it’s not always gonna be what it is right now, and that is absolutely fine. We’re all figuring this out, and in the end it’s a small gesture that so many people fight tooth and nail, but then end up just doing it and it becomes second nature and they wonder what all the fuss was about later on.

32. keirmeister says:

Man. You’re right: this is staged.

1) The kid can’t act and does some horrible “homeboy” arm movements.
    2) The sound and video are too good. Although most modern phones have steady-cam, this had a “production” feel to it.
    3) When the young man starts to aggressively pull away, the woman has a smile on her face. If she were really upset with him, a black woman would not be smiling when a “white boy” starts getting physical with her (even if she started it).
    4) Despite the words being spoken, no one appears particularly angry in this exchange.
    5) “Stop disrespecting me!” Really?!? I’ve seen people clean chitlins with more conviction than that.

33. heimaey says:

Someone sounds an awful lot like a girl attacking a guy for having dreads right now. ;)

BTW – I do not subscribe to the critical theory school of thought. That’s what you’re saying about me – nice red herring. It is also a passive agressive marxist slam against me for being what you consider too liberal. I do like you but the hypocrisy you’re throwing around lately is short-sighted. You’re losing long term readers daily for a reason. You’re better than this!

34. Honey, don’t tell me you’re not attacking me, and then pull “my republicans roots” on me. It’s a low blow and it’s offensive. And it’s yet again a tactic to try to shut people down rather than hear their side. This is why I so object to this entire school of thought — it’s so built on silencing people, and using your safe space to make everyone else unsafe.

35. SkippyFlipjack says:

Ah.. you’re saying that he’s defensive because a black woman says he touched her inappropriately (which she did) not taking sides in who touched who. I missed that on first read. Regardless of who initiated most if not all the physical contact I can see how he’d be uneasy right now.

36. SkippyFlipjack says:

It brings me back to a recent era when “PC” was sort of funny and not just the excuse Republicans give for why they can’t act like assholes anymore. Iranian people became people of Iranian descent, a formulation which changes the nature of the characterization. Probably for the better but a little unwieldy and easily lampooned.

37. heimaey says:

LOL OK. No one is saying anyone is guilty – it’s just acknowledging the existence of a racist system. Methinks you may be going back to your Republican roots with all this stuff, esspecially the hard anti-Bernie propoganda (and flat out lies – that calculator – wow! what a joke). Which is fine – just own it.

Also automatically accusing me of being passive agressive to shut someone up by using critical theory is also, in itself, critical theory – (think about it – you don’t agree with me and make me think about people outside my own experience – you are punishing me) so if I’m guilty so are you. I’m sorry but liberalism is not that – it’s about being sensitive and caring, and moving forward. No one is perfect but to acknowledge how black people can be sensitive about dreads because of their experiences is not that hard – it’s just not wanting to grow and change, which is the opposite of liberalism and progress.

38. SkippyFlipjack says:

Right, I think it’s respectful and not terrible, just not perfect. To get back to the original point, I assume you’re not a fan of “colored” :)

39. sane37 says:

I prefer it over the N word, which I have been called while being beaten. “People of color” at least is descriptive and it sets us apart from the “people of privilege” (aka white people).

40. Especially at the beginning.

41. Yes, but are Iranians POC? It caused quite a controversy in the US, from what I’ve read, when people started calling them that. And nowadays, the kids call Palestinians POC. But then aren’t Israelis as well, which undercuts the entire theory of why the left calls Palestine an LGBT, et. al. issue? And then if Middle Easterners are POC, then are Greeks and Italians? And what are Asians — are Japanese POC? Do they even want to be? I agree, it’s a term that seem to invite a lot of disagreement even among potential POC.

42. I know it is. That’s the beauty of crit theory — it’s written in a way so that anyone who disagrees with you is automatically convicted of the crime you wrongfully accuse them of (which is usually a crime that doesn’t even exist). It’s really quite beautiful in its sinisterness. Very “if you’re not guilty, then why won’t you submit to the search?” Or rather, if you’re not a witch, why are you worried about being weighted down by the rocks around your waist?

It’s a passive-aggressive theory that was concocted to shut people up in a manner that requires the least possible expenditure of brain cells. You’re a nice guy, but the theory is bull, anti-intellectual, and illiberal.

43. SkippyFlipjack says:

I’ve always disliked the phrase “people of color” frankly, and this is an example of why. It lumps together disparate people based on their non-whiteness, which does make some sense in this society where white people traditionally hold most of the power, but leads to this implication that “people of color” has a single culture to appropriate. “People of color culture” would mean, like, the culture of most of the world, so you might as well be saying just “culture”. So when he says “colored culture” referring specifically to the discussion of dreadlocks, so “colored” sounds a lot like “African American” and some would take offense to that.

44. Yes, but you didn’t read my comment very carefully :) I was clearly quoting her, and explaining why the kid would be nervous after being “accused” by a woman of “touching” her. Even though the video makes clear that’s bogus, it’s still a serious charge that would make a guy nervous.

45. It didn’t strike me as super weird at all. Do you remember the video of the young reporter trying to film the “safe space” protest, wherever it was, when the prof got in his face and called in the “muscle”? The kids there were screaming that the journalist touched them, as I recall — even though they were in fact touching him. It’s common practice.

46. Will says:

Absolutely, the dreadlock guy especially – he sounds like he is reciting from memory.

47. I agree. Except that I can’t figure out a good reason to stage it, especially now that the university police are involved. You deserve to be expelled if you commit a public hoax that claims a crime was committed against you, and you let the university policy continue to investigate that “crime” without saying anything. That’s the weird part that made me report it without being convinced it’s a hoax.

48. Will says:

I totally agree with you, it read a bit “off” to me and especially the dreadlock dude comes across as a bad actor who is reciting rather than reacting to the situation.

49. Annapolitan says:

That kinda struck me as a throwback to an earlier era, too. But is there a less-awkward, more sensitive way to refer to groups of people of color? “Communities of people of color” seems a bit awkward and a mouthful. POC community?

50. batteur says:

Weird. Seems so obviously wrong that someone like that would know not to use it.

51. SkippyFlipjack says:

As a Bay Area person I can assure you this is not a thing. It’s very hard navigating the socially polite language of the day, to be sure, but this kid did not do it skillfully.

Correction: The linked story now notes that nobody involved with this incident was a university employee.

It may just be the hair on the back of my neck, but something about this whole incident feels…staged.

53. SkippyFlipjack says:

Yeah, I don’t think it’s done with malice, but “colored” is a very dated term. I’d almost bet he was raised down south; very weird for someone in the Bay Area to use that term. Comedians make good use of the narrow and silly distinction between “people of color” and “colored people” but language contains lots of subtleties.

54. batteur says:

I assumed that this was some Bay Area bleeding-edge-of-PC type of thing, and that if guys like that are using it, it must be acceptable now– at least in those circles. Testament to how detached from reality these people are, perhaps…

55. heimaey says:

I don’t know anymore – I’m giving him the benifit of the doubt since he seems like a bright, sensitive, kid. I’m guessing, and maybe wrongly, that he meant the people of color community by that.

56. SkippyFlipjack says:

That moment when she says “don’t touch me” is super weird since she had already blocked his way and grabbed him, and he clearly seemed like he was just trying to leave. Pretty sure she’d be the one with legal trouble (beyond the phone-whacking part).

57. SkippyFlipjack says:

“Colored community” absolutely is not.

58. heimaey says:

People of color, or POC, is a common and acceptably used term now.

59. SkippyFlipjack says:

Be sure to watch the second video above, the interview where the dreadlock-guy doesn’t exactly do himself any favors, twice referring to the culture of the “colored community”.

60. hiker_sf says:

The black woman describes herself as a cinematographer and journalist among many other things. And she is affiliated with SFSU.

SFSU also has a very robust social media department.

61. hiker_sf says:

Except that black composers, singers and groups were discriminated against and denied profits during that age. I’m comfortable with someone invoking ‘cultural appropriation’ when financial profit is involved. It most other cases, no.

62. TheAngryFag says:

If it’s real I hope they fire her. That’s uncalled for. “Cultural appropriation”, like the terms “privilege” and “microagression” are the new words Liberal PC Assholes (as Carlin called them), use to try to control people, shut them down, and censor them. Pure and simple.

63. Annapolitan says:

Saw that! I’m glad bystanders and the video viewing public are getting wise to these types of tactics.

64. batteur says:

As a white jazz musician (and a progressive) I can tell you that the people who own the music are the people who committed the years and decades it takes to learn how to play it. I see these nimrods with their political theories as outsiders aggressively trying to claim an ownership of the arts, which they did not earn.

This whole idea of sourcing everything about yourself and your work, based a modern interpretation of what is ethnically correct, is total fucking bullshit. Being influenced by art/culture/whatever, regardless of origin, is a basic human right.

65. emjayay says:

Yeah.

66. heimaey says:

Yeah – except that’s the definition of white privelege – to not believe something exists because it doesn’t affect you personally. (and I say that lovingly too!)

67. emjayay says:

The NYC cops just did the Do Not Resist thing to a pretty much non-resisting US mailman (hey, he was a man) seen on video yesterday. I’m sure everyone has seen some report on this already.

68. Annapolitan says:

It shows him trying to leave and her pulling him back/blocking his exit. Imagine if the situation was reversed?

She does at one point say, “Do not put your hands on me” but it sounds like one of those situations where she’s trying to frame the interaction as though she’s not the aggressor.

Like all those videos I’ve watched of cops who are just wailing on a suspect who is face down on the ground, motionless, maybe handcuffed. They’re shouting “Stop resisting!” because they are trying to frame the incident from the get-go as one where the suspect was struggling with them. Doesn’t matter if there’s video showing the opposite. They’re already constructed this narrative where they have justification for beating/tasing/shooting someone.

Anyway… I’m sure glad there’s a video!

69. sane37 says:

She’s the one grabbing him. She grabbed him a couple of times before he pushed her away.

Did you watch the same video?

70. emjayay says:

I’ve been trying to write a snappy comeback but you know how hard it is to do in writing without it being misinterpreted, although you just did. (or much worse, but that was last week and not you, but it was here and one of the most egregious things I’ve ever seen on a blog, and it happened to me. I didn’t even think about that until I started typing but it seems it’s hard to get over something so out of place and out of line. OK, I’ll stop now. Never too early for a cocktail.)

Hmmm…(not quite stopping)….not totally unlike the little attack on hippie boy up there, now that I think about it.

71. The_Fixer says:

Yes, I remember people saying that about Elvis and any musicians that incorporated the more raw blues into their works. I remember it being said about Led Zepplin (and boy howdy, they sure “borrowed” a lot). Fact is, music is a field that incorporates previous works and styles to form new works and styles – it’s an inevitability. There are only so many notes, only so many chords, and only so many ways to arrange them. Kinda like hair, I guess.

Yes, Rachel Dolezal, now that’s where one can draw a line.

72. I just couldn’t disagree more. (And I say this lovingly :) Who cares where the hairstyle came from? I couldn’t care less that straight guys culturally appropriated gay style. And I couldn’t care less if straight guys know that they took it from gay people. You’re assuming people get it, that they accept that it’s important to acknowledge where it came from. And I’m asking why — why does it matter at all? I have no idea why I am what I am. I am a mix of American culture, Greek culture, boomer culture, Gen X culture, French culture, gay culture, Chicago culture, midwest culture, Georgetown U culture, DC culture and so much more. I have no way of knowing what parts of each I took or borrowed or absorbed. And other than some occasional intellectual curiosity, I don’t much care either. You think cultural appropriation exists as a concept, I don’t.

73. The_Fixer says:

Who cares? I don’t, and think that if a person cares much about this, then they need another hobby.

74. heimaey says:

I’m not saying people can’t wear what they want or do anything to their hair that they want, but at the same time we can’t not be aware of the hairstyle’s place in history in the Americas. Like I get why some black people may think it’s cultural appropriation – racism is real and white people have a history of being able to pick up and then walk away from things that are culturally significant to black people. So if you are white and you choose to wear them you should be sensitive to this fact, and know the history – and this kid did. He was aware and what he said made perfect sense. It’s just common curtosy to ackowlege this. But if anyone gives him a hard time about it – screw them.

75. Yes, we can all agree about her :)

76. Uh oh, did I misappropriate your college culture? :) Thanks, I changed it :)

77. emjayay says:

It looks like it was for an online report by students in the TV and Film department, or whatever they call it these days. It has always been a big deal at SFSU.

78. Yeah, well, he’s a white man in college and a black woman says he not only has racist hair, but he defended his racist hair and touched her inappropriately. You can imagine why he’s on the defensive now.

79. emjayay says:

Actually there is a ages old argument about for example Elvis appropriating black blues (Hound Dog, etc.) and white blues and jazz players appropriating etc. etc. On the other hand, the earliest black jazz and blues musicians were playing European instruments in European based musical forms.

There’s really nothing to argue about with any of this. Now, Rachel Dolezal…..

80. heimaey says:

No idea. Maybe they were asked to recreate it to go viral after it actually did happen?

81. Annapolitan says:

The video begins with an already in-progress conversation, which may have been going on for a few minutes before someone decided to record it. And some of the things said may sound rehearsed because they had been said multiple times before. So that may have lent to the impression that this seemed staged or rehearsed. (Still, I take your point.)

I’m really uncomfortable with the actions of the young woman who seems to think that she can put her hands on this student, Cory Goldstein, and confront him! (And there was a silent second man there observing the confrontation who seemed to be a cohort of the woman. It’s possible that his presence was intimidating to Goldstein?)

The second video: who is questioning this man further about his hairstyle? It sounds like he’s really on the defensive here having to articulate his choice of hairstyle and the entire history of ‘locks.

82. emjayay says:

SFSU, not SFU. Also, USF is something else. (I’ve gone to both).

83. I have to disagree about the second half of your comment. It’s hair. Who cares who wore the hairstyle first? I honestly didn’t care that straight people appropriated gay culture with the rise of metrosexuals. It only bothered me because it’s now (sometimes) impossible to tell who’s straight and who’s gay! Culture appropriates. That’s the entire point of it. It travels like a virus around the world. And it has nothing to do with who’s oppressed, or who’s denying what about whom. It’s hair!

84. There is a fakeness to it, but I can’t figure out why they’d do it, and then why they’d let the university investigate — that means making false comments to a university investigation, and that’s a huge violation (as it should be). I agree, it feels like bad acting. But then why would anyone fake something like this?

85. That’s really interesting, Trinu.

86. trinu says:

At Yale they harassed a professor until she felt the need to resign, because she said in an email that she didn’t think it was racist for little girls to dress as Mulan.

87. And who knows — maybe the greeks and the Hindus borrowed it from Africa? I mean, who cares. :)

88. The_Fixer says:

Regardless of the genesis of the video, I think Cory Goldstein has a point. To claim that wearing a particular hairstyle is cultural appropriation is silly and perceiving offense when none is intended.

John points out that this likely came from Greek culture. In that case, did African Americans appropriate Greek culture? Do white blues musicians appropriate African American culture when they perform that music? I really don’t think so in either case.

My response to the young lady would have been “Don’t we have more important things to talk about than hair?” We have much bigger fish to fry.

89. Ty Morgan says:

If this whole thing is real, it’s total bullshit. Cultural appropriation,” microaggresion greviences” , who comes up with this crap?

90. trinu says:

Years ago as a student activist I pushed for professors and staff to put up “safe space” stickers on their offices. Back then, it was a way for them to say to LGBT students, “If you want to talk about LGBT issues like how to navigate a future career as a queer person, or even issues in your personal life, you can talk to me.” I’m extremely disappointed at what the “safe space” movement has become.

91. heimaey says:

The video seems fake – they look like they’re acting like you said. No one “owns” dread locks, but at the same time to deny their importance to African Americans and decendents of slaves over the past 500 years in the Americas is a fair complaint.