Why the Hillary Clinton documentary got canceled (and other questions)

I’m involved in several longer projects at the moment, but I want to give a tease of the data I’m uncovering about one of them. The project — “What is ‘ neoliberalism’ really? Who are they and what do they really want?”

Bill Clinton, and to all appearances Hillary as well, are “neoliberals” — meaning New Liberals, or Not-FDR Liberals. “Free market” liberals.

In that research I found this great article by Charles Ferguson, director of the award-winning documentary Inside Job. If you remember, Ferguson was asked by CNN to produce a film on Hillary Clinton. He explains:

In late 2012, CNN Films approached me about directing a documentary. We discussed a number of potential subjects, and eventually settled on Hillary Rodham Clinton. The film would be ambitious, controversial, and highly visible. But I felt that it was important, that I was qualified to do it, and that I could be fair. CNN gave me complete control (“final cut”) over the theatrical version, and a generous budget.

“And then the fun began,” he adds.

I want to provide several pieces from this article — which I consider a must-read, by the way.

Why was the film canceled? Because both Dems and Republicans wanted it canceled.

Ferguson on why the film wasn’t made (my emphasis and paragraphing):

Frontpage / Shutterstock.com

Hillary Clinton (Frontpage / Shutterstock.com)

The day after the contract was signed, I received a message from Nick Merrill, Hillary Clinton’s press secretary. He already knew about the film, and clearly had a source within CNN. He interrogated me; at first I answered, but eventually I stopped. When I requested an off-the-record, private conversation with Mrs. Clinton, Merrill replied that she was busy writing her book, and not speaking to the media.

Next came Phillipe Reines, Hillary Clinton’s media fixer, who contacted various people at CNN, interrogated them, and expressed concern about alleged conflicts of interest generated because my film was a for-profit endeavor (as nearly all documentaries and news organizations are). When I contacted him, he declined to speak with me. He then repeated his allegations to Politico, which published them.

CNN and I decided to publicly confirm the film project to clear the air. Immediately afterwards, the chairman of the Republican National Committee announced that the Republicans would boycott CNN with regard to the Republican presidential primary debates in 2016. Shortly afterwards, the entire RNC voted to endorse this position. This did not surprise me. What did surprise me was that, quietly and privately, prominent Democrats made it known both to CNN and to me that they weren’t delighted with the film, either.

Next came David Brock, who published an open letter on his highly partisan Democratic website Media Matters, in which he endorsed the Republican National Committee’s position …

And on and on. Clinton wanted it dead. Republicans wanted it dead. Do read. Something’s going on.

But the article has other tantalizing bits as well. For example, these …

What are the Clintons really worth?

I’ve written before about Barack Obama wanting “Bill Clinton money” as a parting gift and Legacy Library bonus. I put “Bill Clinton money” at $80 million, as did Matt Stoller, enough to allow the Clintons to set the new upper bar for celebrity weddings, $3 million for Chelsea.

Turns out $80 million is old news. Ferguson:

The Clintons’ personal net worth now probably exceeds $200 million, and while earned legally, both the money’s sources and the Clintons’ public statements indicate a strong aversion to rocking boats or making powerful enemies.

I’ve seen Obama cash-out numbers (sorry, totally deserved post–public service income) set at $200 million. In light of the above, that seems low. Stay tuned.

Where does the Clinton Foundation money come from? What do they really do?

Here we go again. They say the Clinton Foundation does tons of great stuff. Ferguson again:

In June, I attended a dinner for Bill Clinton, which was educational. Clinton spoke passionately about his foundation, about African wildlife, inequality, childhood obesity, and much else with enormous factual command, emotion, and rhetorical power.

Cool. But then, oops:

But he and I also spoke privately. I asked him about the financial crisis. He paused and then became even more soulful, thoughtful, passionate, and articulate. And then he proceeded to tell me the most amazing lies I’ve heard in quite a while.

For example, Mr. Clinton sorrowfully lamented his inability to stop the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which banned all regulation of private (OTC) derivatives trading, and thereby greatly worsened the crisis. Mr. Clinton said that he and Larry Summers had argued with Alan Greenspan, but couldn’t budge him, and then Congress passed the law by a veto-proof supermajority, tying his hands.

Well, actually, the reason that the law passed by that overwhelming margin was because of the Clinton Administration’s strong advocacy, including Congressional testimony by Larry Summers and harsh public and private attacks on advocates of regulation by Summers and Robert Rubin.

Wow, I thought, this guy is a really good actor.

Which suggests that maybe the “Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation” might be doing something other than their promoted agenda. Who are those funders again?

One of the largest donors to the Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea Clinton Foundation is the government of Saudi Arabia.

And the Saudis are totally into charity work, right? Real Mothers Teresa. Totally not into anything we don’t like. Are you left wondering what the Clintons are doing in return? Me too.

What does this add to?

I don’t know. Tons more questions than answers, but questions that need answering. If you have information, please add them to the comments. I’m especially interested in:

Where does the Clinton Foundation / Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) get its money?
What Clinton Foundation work supports the global billionaire agenda?

Links would be especially appreciated. As always, thanks! And happy Thanksgiving. Me, I’m truly grateful for all of you. (Did I say the article is a must-read? Hope so. It is.)

[Updated for clarity. The umbrella organization is the (newly renamed) Bill, Hillary, and Chelsea Clinton Foundation. CGI is one of its subgroups/events.]

GP

To follow or send links: @Gaius_Publius

Gaius Publius is a professional writer living on the West Coast of the United States.

71 Responses to “Why the Hillary Clinton documentary got canceled (and other questions)”

1. Chris Herz says:

I worked for years in DC building homes and offices for these people. Of both factions. They are all crooks, they are all incompetent. Even to manage the construction of their own homes.

2. Bruce says:

Your avatar does you justice; and BS (Bush Shadow) BO is merely another Poppy Companyman, like ‘Em ALL since ’63.

3. Bruce says:

NihiLiberals: Killary, $3 Bill, ObamAssassin, Rice II, RepublicHun BananaHolder, FucKerry, RAWManuel, and the rest of the BushCompany Terrist Chicago Sleeper cell !

4. Jafafa Hots says:

She ran for Senate in NY because she…

I dunno.
    But we in NY needed a senator who knew the state and would represent our needs and interests. Meanwhile she was on the radio in Erie PA giving an interview, thinking she was in NY. Lying saying she had no ambitions, that this was not a stepping stone.

She wasn’t a NY senator very long.

I don’t like being used.

5. matthewcarmody says:

Did you ever ask anyone how and when Bubba became Poppy’s adopted son? It seems to me that his close relationship to the Saudis and their money probably came from the Bush family’s close relationship to the Saudi royal family, especially Bandar.

Maybe both sides are afraid that once the train leaves the station too many questions will be asked about Saudi money going to dynastic American families, the connections to 9/11, and maybe even why Clinton refused to investigate the Reagan/Bush administrations when he took office in 1993.

In any event I for one hope that 2008 is as close as Hillary ever gets to the White House unless she’s invited to dinner. Democrats complain that Reagan was too old for the presidency when he was elected; Hillary will be about a year younger than him when he entered the White House if she was to run and win.

We’ve had too many old, rich, white men running this country for too long. We don’t need a rich, old white woman to take their place.

What we need is a revolution. Not a bloodless coup, not a debating club, a revolution with people held accountable for the crimes of the past 33 years.

6. Bill_Perdue says:

Sanders will run as a Democrat. It’s unprincipled and reactionary to vote for Democrats.

7. Whitewitch says:

Indeed, sadly, here we are. I am dreaming of change.

8. Whitewitch says:

You did the right think lynchie…oh how I regret that second vote.

9. lynchie says:

You are right. I put great value on my vote and whether I think there is someone deserving of by casting a ballot for them. I voted Obama the first time and did not vote the second time. I viewed O’highness and Romneycakes as exactly the same, different hair and suit with one more smooth and lying than the other. Romney the spoiled rich boy, Obama the common man but both cut from the same cloth—suck the corporate tit for their own personal gain.

10. lynchie says:

Clintonoids are a neo-liberal form of hemorrhoids.

11. Jafafa Hots says:

right now in the USA, politics is a two-dimensional array of right-wing.

12. Bill_Perdue says:

Agreed.

13. dula says:

They’re definitely not leftist. I was just pointing out that usually the Democrats are just another arm of the Republican Party…left arm in name only.

14. Roger Miller says:

the main reason that many democrats do not make a big fuss about the banks and businesses is the money that they receive when re-election time rolls around. now granted the gop receives by far the largest portion of “big money” given out, but the dems also receive some funds. this money is very important to the dems that are trying to get re-elected. i agree with your premise that neither party does almost nothing to stem the tide when it comes to the actions of the companies and banks. but i believe that the higher up you get in government the more you revert back to your core beliefs. i have always believed that congressmen need fund raising every two years so they are trying to feed at the trough all of the time, and i believe they are influenced more by the money than other branches of government. the senators have more time to relax a bit and cultivate relationships to secure funding. they still need money but are not quite so rabid and can be a little more thoughtful. the president certainly needs a huge amount of money but can rely on many others to help with fundraising. to me this means that most presidents can spend more time working on issues that are important in their beliefs.

15. Ford Prefect says:

Most excellent, GP. Given the brazenness of HIllary’s influence peddling, I’d say we have many such stories to look forward to. With any luck, she’ll make a cool billion and say, “To heck with this POTUS stuff, I’m gonna enjoy all this money while I’m still young enough to do it in style.”

16. Ford Prefect says:

I hate it when people tell me I can’t complain. I can and I do!

17. Ford Prefect says:

There are exceptions worth noting. Seattle just booted a long-time Democratic incumbent from their city council, replacing him with a socialist woman. Well worth the vote that time. There are times when it matters, even if infrequently.

18. Ford Prefect says:

There’s a song lyric I like:

When someone comes to eat me alive, I like to see their teeth.

At least then it’s clear who we’re fighting. It’s deeply troubling that anyone would have to think in the terms of your comment, yet here we are.

19. Ford Prefect says:

And to think that after eight years of dealing with Obama-bots, now we’ll have to contend with Hillary-bots. Clintonoids works too.

Democratic politics are awesome, aren’t they?

20. Ford Prefect says:

And corporate, as are all Neo-Liberal “charities.” See Gates Foundation. Self-serving all the way.

21. LanceThruster says:

Now I want to see the doc even more. I’m tired of family political dynasties.

22. Monoceros Forth says:

It was the MSM who made Kucinich a laughing stock.

I suppose you’re right in a way, now that Kucinich is drawing a FOX News paycheck.

23. Just_AC says:

You know who I would rather vote for? Alan Grayson

Another stalking horse. Totally wasted effort.

Nope, you’re still participating in a rigged game and are endorsing the outcome. You have no complaint about how it turns out.

26. Zorba says:

Indeed, Becca. “Boy bloggers.” Really???

27. Zorba says:

Exactly so, Becca.

28. cole3244 says:

well said.

29. cole3244 says:

dean was a threat as you said so he had to be driven out.

30. GeorgeMokray says:

The Gates Foundation and the Clinton Foundation are technocratic, top down interventions by inexperienced know-it-alls who have no practical knowledge of the conditions that are proposing to address. All of their solutions are top-down, hierarchic, and hegemonic propositions which are designed to bolster and promote the present power structure.

Canonization should be deferred until the saint or sinner is gone from this world. And that’s doubly true of the Clintons, be they saints or sinners or some other expression of “neoliberal” (WTF?) boondoggle. It’s too soon, as the expression goes.

What’s so fascinating about the whirl that surrounds Hillary and her former-president husband is that they remain the topic of discussion, sometimes condemned and sometimes praised, for reasons that require way too much interpretive explanation. They are, let’s face it directly, the Ultimate Conspiracy in the hearts and minds of so many that a docudrama (it wouldn’t really be honest journalism, now would it?) about them is too hot to handle.

The fun thing is that whether they are the good Ultimate Conspiracy or the bad Ultimate Conspiracy depends on the commentator. It’s like debating the value of Napoleon — good for France or bad for France? No one can win that debate but everyone can ventilate their gut feelings without restraint. I was for Hillary before Obama fooled me and now I’m Hillary-curious but not really ready to say “ready for Hillary” and also not ready to swallow every defamatory accusation hurled at her. Defamatory politics is best left to the Republicans, they’re really good at it.

32. Bill_Perdue says:

Their ‘left arm’ – those who still insist on being gulled – is being slowly amputated with a dull, pitted knife. If they’re really leftists they’ll get out. Now. If not, not.

33. Bill_Perdue says:

And your point is?

The left wing or the old norm of the Democratic Party is dead and gone thanks to the Clinton’s and finished off by Obama. Warren and Sanders are lone wolves against all odds.

35. Kevin Schmidt says:

It was the MSM who made Kucinich a laughing stock. If you had actually listened to what he had to say, you would have voted for him.

One of the other ‘great lies’ they’ve foisted on the commoners has been to portray politics as a dichotomous spectrum — left or right, progressive or conservative — when in fact it’s a multidimensional array of positions.

What I’ve noticed over the last 20-30 years hasn’t just been how each of the two major parties portrays itself to the electorate, but rather what has been taken off the table as non-debatable. The adoption of certain assumptions. Top among these:

– Capitalism is good and not to be questioned as an economic system.
    – Regulations are always suspect.

– The social safety net is too generous and must be curtailed.
    – There is no urgency in dealing with chronic wage stagnation, high unemployment, or declining standards of living for the 99% because these all help to preserve the wealth of the plutocratic class.
    – There’s nothing wrong with having a massive income gap between the 1% and the rest of us.
    – Progressive taxation isn’t important.

– Democracy must take a back seat to capitalism and corporate interests.

In short, moneyed interests are given precedence. And again, both parties agree on this.

Couldn’t have said it any better.

38. Kevin Schmidt says:

Not Warren, she is the corporate goon squad killa!

39. Kevin Schmidt says:

Manning is not yet 35, so is ineligible to be president.

40. FLL says:

Certainly I don’t want to see Warren’s chances of being reelected to the Senate in 2018 decline. Your best point is in your last paragraph. In my reply above, I said that electing progressive Dems to the House is key, and the point you make in your last paragraph offers a good rationale. If the Republicans control Congress after 2014, it moves the national political spectrum to the right, making it difficult or impossible for progressive Democrats to succeed in the 2016 presidential primaries. If the Democrats control Congress after 2014, the national dialogue is moved to the left, giving progressive candidates much more opportunity in the 2016 presidential primaries.

Exactly Just another Luigi derangement comment.

42. Kevin Schmidt says:

Wrong. The most principled thing is to vote for a third party candidate like Bernie Sanders or the Green Party candidate.

43. Kevin Schmidt says:

Let’s not forget the false narrative they are already pushing on us about Clinton being the only Democrat (DINO) who can beat the Republicans in the presidential race.

Good one Gaius. The Clinton’s story is like a rumbling, road kill carcass on a hot asphalt August day.

45. Kevin Schmidt says:

The final blow was inflicted by Dean’s campaign manager, Joe Trippi, who blew $20 million in Iowa, and left Dean’s campaign broke.

46. MyrddinWilt says:

It would be a good thing if it didn’t come with a cost.

Kucinich has made himself a laughing stock on the national scene with the Presidential runs. Ron Paul made everyone aware that he is a kook. Bachmann destroyed her career. Anyone who runs for the top job is going to be seen as an ambitious pol with more ego and ambition than brains. And that is probably right.

At the moment Warren is a very effective liberal voice in the Senate and I don’t want to see that thrown away without a return.

Bernie Sanders is more than capable of carrying the progressive flag in 2016 and it won’t damage him.

The only reason we didn’t get a public option rather than Obamacare is that Joe Lieberman threatened to join the GOP filibuster if it wasn’t removed. The biggest mistake Al Gore ever made was choosing that lying sack of corporatist shit as his running mate.

I would prefer Obama to run way to the left of where he is but that doesn’t really bother me at all when the Congress is skewed far to Obama’s right. My concerns on Obama are limited to policies that the GOP and right wing Dems might agree on and he would not veto. Any policy that gets through Congress is going to be more to the right than either of us would want.

What I want is to first get to a position where it actually matters whether a Democratic President comes from the left or the right of the party. To do that we have to first win the House and keep the Senate. Then we have to start winning with actual Progressives.

47. dula says:

True. I don’t know why Republicans can’t just be happy with the knowledge that they successfully forced the Democratic Party so far right. They have welcomed neoliberals under their wing, so they shouldn’t be afraid of their own left arm. Maybe they’re worried that their dumbed down electorate will start voting for the other conservative party.

48. Houndentenor says:

I remember what they did to Howard Dean in 2004. What was so awful in his speech/rally? He got a little excited. He didn’t embarrass himself or say anything wrong. He was firing up the crowd. You’d think he’s lost his mind the way the so-called liberal media reacted the next day. I wasn’t even that big a Dean fan and I was completely baffled by the media coverage. but he threatened the status quo so he had to be driven out of the race. I think that’s what any real liberal is going to be up against running for national office.

Republicans aren’t the only enemies of the public interest. Glass-Steagall was repealed with bipartisan majorities, with President Bill Clinton himself declaring the law to be “no longer appropriate.” Even as the economy was going to hell in 2008, Clinton tried to claim that far from actually causing the crash through unregulated financial markets gambling, the repeal — in his opinion — mitigated the financial crisis.

Most reputable economists and analysts point directly at the GS repeal as the cause of the capital investment and real estate bubbles, the economic crash, and the current extended ‘long depression.’

This pro-banks position and opinion epitomizes the neo-liberal philosophy that says corporate interests, especially banks and investment firms, can do no wrong. That they do not need policing. That the regulations formerly constraining these monied interests need to be removed — despite the fact we’ve seen with our own eyes the repeated unsustainable and destabilizing economic bubbles that resulted.

This is the one thing the neo-conservatives and neo-liberals agree on — and hence why it’s been just about the only business our government has managed to bestir itself to accomplish for the last generation. Yes, in terms of social policy and foreign relations, they differ. But when it comes to business and finance? They only argue about the details of implementation, not about whether it should be done or not.

BTW, not all bloggers are male.

50. caphillprof says:

Give me a wake up call when there are working class people in the streets doing anything other than enabling Walmart. I don’t want to miss it.

51. caphillprof says:

As if a person you uses the term “boy bloggers” isn’t already in the pay of the Republicans.

52. Monoceros Forth says:

Another Clinton Derangement post.

I think it’s a bit deranged to expect that we owe Sec’y Clinton any allegiance just because she’s Hillary Clinton, as if she were something special and not just another corrupt politician.

53. Bill_Perdue says:

The only real exceptions make are when socialists are on the ballot or something like Prop 8. On Tuesday, the
    4th of November, 2014 and on Tuesday, the 8th of November, 2016 vote socialist,
    write in Chelsea Manning or just sit it out as a protest vote

54. cole3244 says:

i don’t need to read the complete article to realize we have lost the game and there is no one electable that is left of center or cares about anyone that isn’t considered elite and that includes the corporations.

electable also means that the power brokers won’t allow them to run, if you look at what clinton did when in the wh you know he was and is no friend of the 99%, to think hillary is cut from a different cloth is to believe in santa and the tooth fairy, she may be female but she is no friend of the left, what remains of it anyway.

55. Luigi DaMan says:

Oh good. Another Clinton Derangement post. “Wow. This guy is a really good actor.” Why hate the Republicans when posts like these do it for them. I see nothing in the facts here (not the author’s little pet peeves) that seem at odds with today’s realities. The Saudi government has lots of money, but they got it from oil, so let’s not ask them for help. Okay. Got it. That makes sense. Of course, other big contributors to the Clinton Fund include Bill and Melinda Gates (“curse you, Seattle!), The Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (curse you, Children!), and UNITAID (curse you, World Health Organization in Geneva, who, by the way, is one of the leading funds tackling the prevention of HIV/AIDS).

Grow up, boy bloggers.

56. Whitewitch says:

I like that Nicho…so often I hear if you don’t vote you can’t complain later…if there is NO ONE to vote for…then I can complain loudly until I join the revolution – where is the revolution anyway…

The most principled thing is to not vote at all. When you participate in a game you know to be crooked, you endorse the outcome as the right outcome — whether you like the outcome or not. The popular adage is dead wrong. If you vote, you can’t complain about the result.

Not to mention that she’s just a stalking horse. It keeps the “progressives” busy from now until the primaries. Barring some cataclysm, Hillary will get the nomination. Anyone who even threatens that outcome will be taken down by Hill&Bill, Inc. and their corporatist goon squads.

59. Whitewitch says:

Yeah well I think I will take the batshit crazy teabagger over someone who proclaims to be my friend and who claims to care about how the world is for us serfs. At least then I can point and yell and say HEY that GUY IS BATSHIT crazy without being jumped by those who allegedly believe like I do and yet still support a Republican in style, if not in name.

Unfortunately, the corporatists are already assembling a cast of scarier-than-shit candidates among the GOP ranks. This will allow the Democrats, their water carriers, and apologists to start their, “Well, I hope you’re happy living under (insert name of batshit crazy teabagger here)” scare tactic. I’m already sick of the 2016 election.

61. Whitewitch says:

It is my sincerest hope that Ms. Clinton does not run. In all but name she is indeed a Republican (you know what republicans were before the end times thing). I can not and will not vote for her – I don’t care who the Republicans run – I simply will not vote for her. Which is beyond sad. After 8 years of President Obama – I just don’t think that the middle and lower classes could withstand another 4 to 8 of anyone served on the Wal Mart board of directors, believes that the people should be run by Corporations and who is really really a conservative.

We are in a corporatist dictatorship. What we call elections are really wars of dynastic succession — much like the War of the Roses. It’s not about the welfare of the peasants (us). The peasants (us) are important only as serfs and cannon fodder.

63. Bill_Perdue says:

From the point of view of the left Warren is an excellent candidate for Democrats. Like
    the Clintons and Obama her approach is timid reformism in public and right wing when it comes to votes and policy. We’d love to have her run as an example of the ongoing right turn of the Democrats.

Warren voted to confirm John Brennan to run the CIA. Brennan is a war criminal. ” President Obama has expended extraordinary efforts to protect from accountability all Bush-era officials responsible for torture, rendition and warrantless eavesdropping, programs that numerous human rights groups have insisted constitute war crimes and violations of U.S. criminal law. … The president’s nomination on Monday of John O.
    Brennan, a Bush-era C.I.A. official, to head the C.I.A. illustrates how complete this disturbing process now is.” http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/01/07/the-right-or-wrong-experience-for-the-job/by-nominating-john-brennan-obama-is-ignoring-war-crimes

Warren also voted for the confirmation of Obama’s billionaire friend Penny Pritzker as
    Secretary of Commerce. ” Why ‘unions don’t like’ Penny Pritzker – Pritzker’s nomination as Secretary of Commerce shows how the Democratic party is leaning towards the rich… She raised some $745m for Obama’s 2008 presidential run, and was influential in 2012 as well, though quieter. Perhaps the campaign’s tough tone on wealth soured her, or
    perhaps the appearance of closeness to someone who, as Jodi Kantor and Nicholas
    Confessore in the New York Times noted at the time, was engaged in some of the
    same shady practices as Mitt Romney – and had her very own subprime scandal to
    boot. ” http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/05/20135873932733462.html

And she’s a zionist, a supporter of racism and colonialism. “Warren’s statement on Israel consumes far more space than any other foreign policy issue on the page (she makes no mention of China, Latin America, or Africa). To justify what she calls the “unbreakable bond” between the US and Israel, Warren repeats the thoughtless cant about “a natural partnership resting on our mutual commitment to democracy and freedom and on our shared values.” She then declares that the United States must reject any Palestinian plans to pursue statehood outside of negotiations with Israel. While the US can preach to the Palestinians about how and when to demand the end of their 45-year-long military occupation, Warren says the US “cannot dictate the terms” to Israel. … Warren goes on to describe Iran as “a significant threat to the United States,” echoing a key talking point of fear-mongering pro-war forces.” https://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/02/26-8 and http://english.al-akhbar.com/

“Progressive Democratic Hero Elizabeth Warren Enlists to Serve
    AIPAC’s Pro-War Agenda” by Max Blumenthal http://english.al-akhbar.com/

64. Reasor says:

Agreed. Working class people in the streets changed the dialogue and forced the addition of the term “one percent” to the nation’s vocabulary; Warren could accomplish much with just a primary candidacy.

Triangulation is a Clinton family specialty. Make the bastards triangulate their way back to the left for a change.

65. Bill_Perdue says:

Q “Where does Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) get its money?”

A Walmart

“On Sunday, however, former President Bill Clinton asked the chief executive of Wal-Mart Stores if he would open a store in Libya. “If the new president of Libya asked you to open a store in Tripoli, would you consider it?” Clinton asked CEO Mike Duke at the opening panel of the Clinton Global Initiative.” http://www.cnbc.com/id/49149511

“NEW ORLEANS, March 15, 2008 – The Wal-Mart Foundation today awarded a $500,000 grant to Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) commitment-makers at its inaugural meeting at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Wal-Mart Foundation grant will fund college students’ and universities’ commitments to make a difference within CGI U’s four main focus areas: energy and climate change, global health, human rights and peace, and poverty alleviation. These awards were announced today by President Clinton and Margaret McKenna, president of the Wal-Mart Foundation.” http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2008/03/18/wal-mart-foundation-awards-500000-to-clinton-global-initiative-university

“The Wal-Mart Foundation will support CGI’s Outstanding Commitment Awards through grants totaling $200,000. In recognition of the Foundation’s continued leadership in the area of climate change, the entirety of the Wal-Mart Foundation grants will be given to student commitments focusing on energy & climate change” http://press.clintonglobalinitiative.org/press_releases_cgiu/president-clinton-announces-outstanding-commitment-awards-funded-by-the-pat-tillman-foundation-and-the-wal-mart-foundation/

66. FLL says:

I agree that the election of progressive Dems in the House is key, but I don’t think that a run by Warren in 2016 would be a negative for her or the country. The national dialogue could do with a few new ideas. And yes, Warren would be a good choice for vice-presidential candidate.

67. BTW This is a really good article, I enjoyed reading it.

68. FLL says:

If you want to uncover someone’s genuine motives, it’s usually no more difficult than examing their lifelong record. Since the 1980s, the Clintons have allied themselves with the Democratic Leadership Council and described themselves as “New Democrats,” meaning pro-corporate Democrats. A person’s entire lifetime of advocacy in one particular direction is a pretty good indicator of what they will do in the future, regardless of their statements to the contrary. Hopefully, someone like Elizabeth Warren will do the national dialogue some good by shining a light on this.

69. I hate NeoCons and and I despise NeoLiberals. I will be supporting Elizabeth Warren for President. We don’t need anymore corporate sell outs.

70. MyrddinWilt says:

$3 million is a lot for a wedding. But there are solid commercial reasons for spending that sort of money on corporate hospitality. Which is essentially what the event was.

I am not surprised that both sides wanted the film nixed. The GOP was worried that it would be a hagiography and as far as the Democrats are concerned there is no upside, only possible downside if it turned out to be a hatchet job.

I would like to see Bernie Sanders run for the Democratic nomination but he is not going to beat Hillary. I can’t see Warren being a contender either and a run would damage the standing she has built up in the Senate. Plus as Markos points out, it took a huge amount of persuasion to get her to run for Senate, she ain’t going to run for President in 2016. She would make a very credible choice for veep if a male gets the nomination over Hilary.

2013 is way to early to be fighting the 2016 Presidential race. The future of Progressive politics will depend on how many Democrats are elected to the House and whether they keep the Senate in 2014. The only reason that we are doing this is that on the Democratic party side we have a long list of credible top tier candidates. The nomination race seems set to be a fairly tame affair with Clinton as the front runner and Biden running on the off chance she stumbles badly. In the case of an unexpected emergency they can call up Gore or Kerry.

The GOP contenders are all trying far to hard. They are third rate and they know it. Their nomination race is going to be a really nasty affair. Their best bet might be to write off the race and run the choice of the Tea Party faction in the hope that it gets buried in the defeat.