I want your Obamacare exchange story today

The health care reform, aka Obamacare, aka Affordable Care Act, health insurance “exchanges” launched today.

That means people who are either uninsured, or who are self-employed and buy their own insurance on the individual market, can go online and look for new, hopefully better, health insurance.

obamacare-exchanges

Go check it out for yourself.

You can start via this Web site: https://www.healthcare.gov/

And for individual and family insurance, you can start here.

Then see how good, or bad, or affordable, or not, the coverage is and get back to me, either in the comments to this post, or by emailing me at contact at americablog dot com.  And make sure to tell me what state you live in, and your age, in addition to some details on what kind of coverage you have now, and what kind you can get with your local exchange.

Considering that the Republicans have shut down the government because they demand that Obamacare be killed – even though Obamacare was part of the President’s re-election agenda, and he got re-elected, while the other guy didn’t – it would be really interesting to hear how the exchanges are actually working.

Thanks, JOHN

166 Responses to “I want your Obamacare exchange story today”

1. Pbrown says:

Obama used the sick and the low income folks to further his communist agenda.
    to further separate us from our freedoms. Parents will do anything for their children, sick people need help and should get it. Sickness, fear and desperation distort our values and close our minds. This is what the Obama regime was counting on. Hence the refusal to compromise. Why would he? He has the american people right where he wants us. The needy are kissing his feet while he legally extorts hard earned pay from the working middle class. I don’t fully agree with either party. But I do know that Obama used this law to further separate us from our freedoms and as a pathway to one world government. This will happen when the middle class are broke and desperate. You can bet your ass that they know this law is unsustainable. They know exactly what they’re doing. YOu have to break down society to change the game people. This is how stalin would have done it. These are the conditions of receiving your free or subsidized healthcare. These are the parts that some of our leaders disagree with and our needy are blinded by the offering of treatment for their ills. We can’t blame them. What a clever SOB this guy is. The sheep have been led to slaughter. Talk about the perfect crime.

2. Pbrown says:

Hi John, You are dead wrong about several Points. 1) Obama was elected under false pretenses. He lied about Obamacare and the consequences there in. 2) After the law passed he changed it by exempting his cronies, congress, the senate and himself from the so called “law of the land”. You cant just change a law as you see fit in a democracy. 3) America is no longer a republic. Obama is a fascist (read the definition before you call me a liar). America is quickly reaching communist status (again read the definition before you call me a liar). Let me elaborate on this fact. Obamacare is a communist act. He wants equality healthcare “INSURANCE” equality for all. This will break the middle class sooner than later and here’s why. If a middle class family of 4 earns 60,000 a year they do not qualify for subsidies. Now that’s a cost of over 16,000 a year so now they have 44,000 to work with. Oh wait… They probably have a very high deductible per person because after all the 16,000 is for the bronze tier plan. But Obama says we have to limit our healthcare savings accounts so we better put back those deducts plus high copays (again get the facts before you call me a liar) in case of an emergency. So if your a responsible middle class family you just lost another 10,000 a year for healthcare expenses. So now the actual net is 34,000. Oh wait there’s more. INCOME TAX!!! 28% OF THAT 60,000 GROSS minus the child tax credit already took another 16,600 so now they have approximately 17,400 to run the household for the year. Based on comments that I’ve read lower income people don’t believe that this family deserves this income either. Well thats ok as long as those that don’t have get what they want. IF they don’t get what they want Obama will take that income away from this family too along with their home. Do I have to spell it out for
    you further or can you do this fact checking on your own. My guess is you’ll just call me names and keep calling america a democracy. In my opinion as a person who dug my way out of poverty the honest way to provide a better life for my family. This will not end well. I will not covet. I guess this is because I earned what I have. I would not deny anyone healthcare. The blame lies in government over spending that broke medicaid to begin with. Now we have to pay more. The end of middle class and this is clearly the aim of his regime.

3. ddillon says:

Your response to pj4me was snide. He has a legitimate point; Why does Obama exempt various select groups, while simultaneously requiring others to accept this mandate? It seems reasonable to expect fairness in the application of this mandate. Last thing, don’t repeat the old adage about ‘life is unfair,’ you will only validate all of pj4me’s comments.

4. Vicki Goodwin Robinson says:

We make less than $32k annually as my husband is the only one working, and were eligible for a refundable tax credit of $455 per month. After applying the entire tax credit to the monthly premiums, it brought our premium down from $503 per mo (silver plan) to $48 per month, $150 deductible (group), $2,000 max out of pocket (group) with copays of $5 primary doctor, $15 specialist, $0 xray, $4 generic. Dental and Vision is not included. My husband and I are both 32, we have NO coverage, no pre-existing conditions and we are in South Carolina which opted out as I recall.

5. Vicki Goodwin Robinson says:

Hmm, well I was going to add to my comment but I don’t see it anymore. Anyways I was also contacted by one of the carriers through the exchange and was informed that due to the Govt shutdown that not all of the plans are available for us to see. She said hopefully by October 15th all plans will be updated in the system.

6. Julien Pierre says:

Simply false. In California, prior to the ACA, adults without kids and not elderly or disabled could not qualify for Medicaid . These are the old qualifications :

Low-income adults don’t fit in that box.

7. 2patricius2 says:

That’s what really surprised me about the article.

8. Julien Pierre says:

I don’t think you will see the same coverage on TV,though.

9. Kitty says:

I’m from Ohio. It was exactly the same here as you’ve posted.

10. Kitty says:

Same here . . .

11. Sphyg says:

It was within the past year. Our premiums had doubled, so we switched to a catastrophic plan with a very high deductible to get us through the year. We’re both in our early thirties and healthy so it didn’t seem like a big risk.

12. I know all of that, but am still not understanding your point. That page says pre-existing condition exclusions are outlawed as of January 1 for new plans. You were trying to buy a new plan on the exchange – all of those plans outlaw pre-existing conditions. So how did it tell you that you had one? This isn’t making sense.

13. It was only a matter of time before the “evil rich Jew’s” name came up.

14. Hi, welcome to America. As you’re apparently not familiar, America is a democracy (well, officially a Republic). Laws like Obamacare are passed by our elected representatives in Congress, then signed by our elected President in the White House, and in the case of Obamacare, then given a legal/constitutional seal of approval by the Supreme Court, followed by another seal of approval from the electorate who last November re-elected the guy pushing Obamacare, and soundly defeated the guy who wants to repeal Obamacare.

You guys lost on this issue, fair and square, about ten times over. So it doesn’t really matter what crazy stuff you rant about. You’re free to dislike Obamacare – though I’ll bet you can’t correctly explain even three things the law does – but you’re really not free to rail about freedom when this legislation was democratically passed and upheld repeatedly. You simply don’t like America’s democracy, and that’s fine. The Soviets and the Cubans and the North Koreans and the Iranians didn’t either. You’re entitled to your warped anti-American views.

15. 1) That’s not what she said, good try though.
    2) I worked in the Senate, and no one – and I mean NO MEMBER OF CONGRESS – read any of the bills. NO ONE. That’s what they have staff for. Nor do members of Congress write any of the bills, NONE OF THEM. Their staff does that to. Now, your Republican overlords know that, but they like to lie to you, because they realize that A) you’re not very bright, and B) when they tell you the truth, you tend to side with Democrats. So all the Republicans telling you that Nancy Pelosi voted for a bill she didn’t read, voted against a bill they didn’t read.

This forum is based on the general notion that people aren’t dumb, and don’t need to be lied to in order to get them to agree with you. You might find it a bit uncomfortable.

16. dabbindan says:

If congress/presidency/Supreme Court were a mirror image (say the next election cycle) and the republicans passed and signed a severe abortion restriction law, would they budge if the democrat congress wanted it changed to pass the next fund the govt bill?

17. When did you buy the plan that’s being discontinued – I”m guessing it’s relatively recently, past two years?

18. Sphyg says:

My experience with healthcare.gov has been that there are so many folks desperate for affordable healthcare, that the system is overwhelmed. I managed to get an account started, and got as far as the point where you basically need to enter your tax information and decided to dig out all my w2s later. As self employed contract workers my wife and I have about 16 w2s every year. I did receive a letter from my current insurance saying it would be discontinued Jan 1 because it doesn’t meet even the bronze level standards set by Obamacare. My wife and I are excited to get better health insurance because we’d like to start a family and Maternity coverage is ridiculously expensive to buy on your own.

19. Sphyg says:

FYI Pelosi said the bill needed to pass out of committee so that we can find out what’s in it. It’s a stupid republican lie to infer that she was saying the bill had to pass the full congress before anyone would read it.

20. lynchie says:

You lie like a rug. If you lost healthcare when did it happen . Obamacare does not go into effect until Januray 1. go back collect your 50 cents for posting here, ask you Mom for some milk and cookies and chill

Have another drink and get back to us.

22. pj4me says:

Well, if Pelosi didn’t read it, and neither did Obama, and neither did anyone else in Congress, and Piglosi said we needed to pass it to find out what was in it, then you guys can all buy it before you read it!

23. pj4me says:

**** I swear that Obama must be a secret implant by Koch Brothers****
    No, he’s an OBVIOUS PLANT by SOROS. Get your facts straight! Everyone knows the puppet master is Soros and the puppet is BO.

24. pj4me says:

YOU ARE DEAD WRONG on this one: Considering that the Republicans have shut down the government because they demand that Obamacare be killed. FACT: OBAMA SHUT DOWN THE GOVERNMENT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO FORCE BOzo-CARE on those of us who do NOT want it. What happened to “If you like your doctor . . . if you like your health insurance”? BOTH ARE LIES. I LOST BOTH my health insurance AND my doctor because of BOcare. I’m FURIOUS! If you slobber all over Obama and his Obama care, then YOU CAN HAVE THEM BOTH. But why should I have to suffer? And if it’s such a GREAT insurance and health care coverage why doesn’t Obama want it for him and his family? Why don’t the Senators and Representatives want it? Why did the unions and big corporations want to opt out? Why doesn’t anyone want it? Why do all the “friends” of OBama get exemptions and waivers AND I DON’T?

If you do NOT want ObamaCare — go here and say so: Bombard your senators and representatives demanding an exemption just like BO gave to all his friends! I did. Go here -> http://justexempt.me/

25. runfastandwin says:

Yeah but if Florida had set up their own exchange the Feds would not have had to, and you would not be trying to log on along with 15 million other people. So it actually has everything to do with refusing to set up the exchange. I was all over the California exchange today with no issues, not even long wait times. And we have 3 times the population of Florida at least.

26. MyrddinWilt says:

” No one forced them to work two crappy jobs. ”

I can think of a few. Paris Hilton, the Walton kids, Republicans, etc.

27. MyrddinWilt says:

The idea is to affect as little as is necessary. So if you already have employer provider healthcare that is likely going to be your best option for this year at least. Thats why employers who are providing health care now can’t drop out.

Well ‘can’t’ may be a little strong, but the tax rules are written to discourage unnecessary switches.

It really isn’t going to affect most of the people who are getting their panties in a bunch over stopping it. The only folk it will affect directly this year are people without health insurance or in the personal market.

28. Hoosier Healthcareless says:

I too am going to wait a bit until the frenzy is over. However, I’m not too optimistic about what I’ll find.

After business expenses my income is limited, enough to push me into medicaid if my state was offering it. Instead Indiana got a waiver from HHS to expend its “Hoosier Healthcare” program and unless the requirements have changed you have to be uninsured for 6 months to be accepted. I’ve had health insurance for years with an individual policy that was a significant expense for me, and it now seems I either have to continue paying exorbitant rates, (my rate increases have ranged from 17% to 34% every year for more than a decade), or take a chance I won’t need health care for 6 months. I still don’t know all the circumstances surrounding the new laws, but one thing I’m going to look into is if I might be better off foregoing some business expenses so that I raise my overall income to where the subsidies kick in.

As a side note, my most recent policy, (I’ve had to change 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years as costs soared, always to one with a higher deductible), which started in August of 2012 had a rate increase of 24% on July 1st. I was just notified that I could either endure another 18% increase on December 1st and keep my policy indefinitely, or continue paying my current rate and the policy will expire in June. This appears to be due at least in part to some of the new requirements of the ACA.

I really don’t know if the ACA is going to help me in the short term, but I am very optimistic that in time it will be a sea change for American medicine. I for one am tired of the outrageous costs, premium hikes that quadruple the inflation rate, and an insurance industry that puts profit above lives. I may not live to see it, but I view the ACA as the first baby step in what will eventually become a system where healthcare isn’t as as universally feared and loathed as it is now.

29. perljammer says:

This, from “New Health Insurance Marketplace Coverage Options and Your Health Coverage”, OMB 1210-0149:

“If you have an offer of health coverage from your employer that meets certain standards, you will not be eligible for a tax credit through the Marketplace and may wish to enroll in your employer’s health plan.” Later the document goes on to discuss various implications of using the Marketplace rather than your employer’s plan. If your employer plan meets the ACA coverage and affordability criteria, you probably won’t save money by using the Marketplace because you won’t qualify for premium tax credit, but you can use the Marketplace if you wish. If your employer’s plan costs you more than 9.5% of your household income, or if your employer’s plan doesn’t meet the ACA minimum value standard, you may be eligible for a tax credit. But regardless of tax credit eligibility, you are by law able eligible to participate in the Marketplace.

Please don’t confuse the regulations with the user interface of a hunk of software. If the web interface is denying you based upon the simple fact of employer coverage, then that is an error in the software implementation. I’m sure the government will get around to fixing it one of these days. I wouldn’t advise holding your breath, though.

30. Whitewitch says:

Exactly what happened at Comic Con in San Diego….and people grosed and complained…a little lady in Alaska with an old school computer beat us all with our multiple platforms and tricks….funny.

31. Whitewitch says:

Here…let me try again.

usually we, in polite society, do not refer to people by their color/species/race/etc; courteous people refer to them either by their name or perhaps by their title

Sorry dogdick nobody’s gonna toss you a troll bone.

33. chris10858 says:

I just tried again and selected three different questions like favorite food (pizza), first manager’s name (Beth), and my mothers birthplace (ex: podunk redneckville). Well, I’ve tried it several times with different questions and answers and am getting this error message below.

Im a hardcore liberal/progressive but Im perplexed and a little pissed that Obama Administration would not have foreseen a lot of people going online the first few days to check the program out. Therefore, I dont understand why they didn’t either do a better job at making sure things went smoother for simple technical issues like the one below OR they would roll it out to folks in stages so they wouldn’t be so inundated on Day 1.

Even Apple uses beta testers for their products before they Go Live launch of each product.

Now, this gives ammo to Cruz and rest of nutjobs on far right. Sometimes, I swear that Obama must be a secret implant by Koch Brothers, et al. to push Conservative agenda. Grrr….

34. ehmkec says:

Obama is going to have to go to the computer in his office and press cntl-alt-del. Select OFF and wait 30 seconds. Not 29 seconds like the republicans have been telling him. Reboot and everything is OK.

“while loading Obamacare” Is this a reference to David Vitter?

The worst of it is sickening anti gay hate—-which I noticed has somehow been scrubbed after I mentioned it earlier.

yep :-)

Poor ole’ dogdick18 doesn’t know that ‘troll’ is a preexisting condition.

ppppffffttttt

lol!

41. doglog18 . says:

Not it’s run by the fed….which are running 37 other states….it had nothing to do with refusing to set up the exchange. It had everything to do with a half ass site being thrown together in a couple of months.

42. doglog18 . says:

If I called him half black i wouldn’t have been PC we all know that…

43. judybrowni says:

We’ve debunked all of them, so far.

But I’m sure you have more, rightards always do.

44. doglog18 . says:

Which lie are you debunking…..I’ll wait.

45. zephyr says:

The Wegman’s chain right now is telling workers in labor negotiations that they want to eliminate wives and children from company healthcare coverage. Bet they’re glad for the ACA

46. ArthurH says:

At the last Chicago Marathon the computer crashed as runners (me included) wanted to get the limited number of places in the event. The site was put up by Bank of America, a sponsor of the event, and they had no idea how popular the places would be. When they got the site up and running the site still misfired with some runners getting multiple places and some long-time participants in the event none. To say a computer crash is something inherent of government only shows the accuser is at best naïve and at worst ignorant of history.

Me, too. After I lost my group coverage in 2003 (the underwriter just dropped the professional organization to which I belonged), I was thrown onto the individual insurance market. And to my shock and surprise, even though I consider myself rather healthy, I was denied coverage by six different insurance providers, all for the same two reasons: Migraines and hayfever allergies. I’d sought doctor’s care for both of those because I occasionally need a prescription for the worst migraines, and seeing I was also getting sinus headaches and over-using OTC sinus spray, she also prescribed Flonase.

The denials made me eligible for the California high-risk pool. To get insurance comparable to what I had before, it would’ve cost nearly $2000 a month. For nothing but catastrophic coverage and a super-high deductible, my quote was around $650/month.

I simply couldn’t afford it. After moving to New Mexico in ’09, I checked the situation again, and ended up with roughly the same result — and the same pre-existing condition denials. NM has its own small self-employed/individual pool, and I tried to get in, but couldn’t get past their years-long waiting list.

Then came PPACA’s high-risk pool. With not-insane premium rates. That’s the insurance card I’ve been carrying for the last two+ years.

48. Whitewitch says:

Snork, giggle…you made me blow tea out my nose…is that a pre-existing condition?

49. slappymagoo says:

I’m sorry, doglog18, I had no idea that you were acutely aware of the financial situation of every poor person in the country, and could whittle down their problems so efficiently. The best thing is, with your rants, you don’t come across like an ignorant douchebag in the slightest. Nope. Each argument is more cogent and factually supported than the next, without ever sounding like angry stereotypical thinking of what poor people must be like. I want to be you when I grow up. Are there douche pills I need to take or can I learn, over time?

50. Whitewitch says:

Spoken like someone who works for insurance companies and knows the denial drill really well.

51. Whitewitch says:

Exactly Fletcher – we can’t use the first few days as a monitor for how it will go. Even Comic Con can handle the heavy demand of us crazy geeks when the tickets go on sell. I see this as a great sign that many are eager to try out the new plans.

52. Whitewitch says:

Thank you for sharing this…I think this is exactly why the Republicans fear the ACA….they realize most people just want to survive and have a healthy life…must be frustrating for them.

53. Outspoken1 says:

RE: Info regarding pre-existing condition

54. judybrowni says:

Dogleg feels like telling lies, and we feel like debunking them.

55. Whitewitch says:

Pssst jennnnnnn, I am pretty sure he is an ass…but that is not a proven fact of course. May I help you with the key word that gave him away? He is referring to the President of the United States as a “half-white” person…usually we, in polite society, do not refer to people by their color/species/race/etc. We refer to them either by their name or perhaps by their title.

56. judybrowni says:

I made too much money for Medicaid and Medical (California), but not enough to buy health insurance.

Until Los Angeles County early adopted it’s own Obamacare plan and for the first time in years I’ve got healthcare.

57. Whitewitch says:

Okay…let go of the man’s pant leg – he has now wet himself and is “disarmed”. Good job – very good job.

58. Whitewitch says:

Wow you are unhappy if people do work two crappy jobs and if they don’t work. Which is it? And int his economy education has little or nothing to do with finding a job, keeping a job and whether you have to take 2 part time jobs just to get by.

Heartlessness often comes with the types of statements you made above.

May I share my statement, which my mother taught me…”There but by the Grace of God(dess) go I”. It means, in cause you can’t understand, that each of us could be in the shoes of the poor or the helpless and we should rejoice that we are in those shoes and help those who are.

59. jennnnnnnnn says:

why do you have to attack someone just because they are telling you something contrary to your opinion? doglog isn’t an “asshole” he’s just being honest about how he feels…you can whine about your “crappy” life and that’s ok, right?? NO WONDER THE COUNTRY IS SO SCREWED UP…..

60. Whitewitch says:

Double Exactly!!!

61. Whitewitch says:

Hey I like that “O’Care” it is way better than Obamacare…it sounds like “Ohhh we care” – Sweet. You are right though – he has failed on educating people re the new ACA, however, in his defense, and you know I don’t defend him often, every time they have done or tried to do a marketing thing…the Republicans whine so loud about the education process it drowns out the explaining.

62. jennnnnnnnn says:

that’s untrue…I tried to sign up…one of the questions is does your employer offer coverage…if you say yes, it says you are not eligible…lets all get our facts correct before we post and further confuse people!

His comment history looks to be nothing but right-wing trolling.

64. Whitewitch says:

Wait JoeBob…that was a nice article and accurate…what happened to Fox…okay who is playing a trick by setting up a dummy Fox site…come guys – fess up.

P.S. Thanks for sharing – very nice.

My good news is that you WILL be forced to pay for my stuff—-by law.

Could be O’Care afterbirth .

Doglog does conjure up an apt description of said troll. My guess is that he has a precondition called sun sensitivity that keeps him forever trapped under that dark, dank bridge.

68. doglog18 . says:

Medicaid, while it gets federal funding, – and thats all we need to know. So who is the half white person who defunded medicaid.

Buzz off you pathetic troll.

70. doglog18 . says:

What does efficiency of an ER have anything to do with Obamacare of medicaid.

Obamacare addressed no healthcare concerns, just insurance, same number of docs and hospitals.

71. doglog18 . says:

Oh you poor thing….Is an asshole to you know someone who doesn’t want to pay for your stuff. Well I guess the shoe fits.

72. doglog18 . says:

You sound like you need a handout. I’m glad I don’t know you either

73. Redkiowa92 says:

Have not been able to sign up to check anything yet. Hope they fix these computer problems soon.

Hint: the snarl of a junkyard dog called log—dead wood.

I’m so glad I don’t know you. You sound like an appalling person.

And there will ALWAYS be assholes like you.

Exactly, there’s nothing free about an ER visit. I lost my life savings in just 4 visits.

Exactly!

79. Monoceros Forth says:

I suppose the governor of Alabama is half white. I mean, what are you talking about? Medicaid, while it gets federal funding, is largely a decentralized, state-by-state program. It’s Republican governors who are refusing to expand their Medicaid programs.

Agreed, Obama is a major fail on marketing O’Care. We’re superposed to wait a few years and then stampede toward the mystery meat.

81. doglog18 . says:

I’m sorry who took 700+ million out of medicaid. I’ll give you a hint – he’s half white.

82. doglog18 . says:

Sorry driving up healthcare cost on the middle class it the last thing I think about when it comes to caring.

“where you’re working two crappy jobs” – No one forced them to work two crappy jobs. Those people we call shoulda whoulda coulda people.. Didn’t go to school, had a kid out of wedlock, have no tangible skill – Your problem.

“and you don’t qualify for Medicaid because according to your state’s government” – so their not poor.

yes poor people could ALWAYS fer medicaid.

I’ll wager ‘doglog18’ actually has an insurance-disqualifying pre-existing condition and just doesn’t know it. Or if he does, thinks that nothing would ever interrupt his insurance coverage.

As I learned a decade ago, even something as ridiculously simple — and insignificant — as hayfever allergies can result in coverage denials.

What most people don’t realize is that unless you’re Superman and have never had to see a doctor for anything other than a routine visit, any gap in coverage whatsoever, for any reason — disability, being laid off and unable to afford COBRA, having a job that doesn’t offer employer-paid health insurance — usually meant you were considered uninsurable in the individual market.

84. Bookbinder says:

I’m employer insured but i checked it out in California anyway. Very smooth. Great quotes on silver which would be affordable with just a little stretch. Very pleased if I go off on my oqn again

Happened to me, too. I’m going to wait until next week.

I finally got to that point, too, and ran into the same error.

I’m going to go back to my original Plan A, which was to wait a week. It’s not like it has to be done today.

87. UncleBucky says:

Poor you! Hard being Libertarian you, eh?

88. UncleBucky says:

Me, too. I didn’t make a decision yet, but in the next week, I will.

In Illinois, it’s a piece of cake.

I know what you mean.

Plus there’s always this thread of “undeserving lazy people” getting good stuff for “free.”

The thing I find most dismaying is the casual cruelty and near sociopathic lack of care about what happens to one’s fellow human beings.

90. perljammer says:

Yes, there is a lot of confusion. Employer health coverage *affects* eligibility, but does not make an employee *ineligible*. There are terms and conditions attached for employees with access to qualifying employer-provided plans, but those employees will indeed be able to use the Marketplace if they so desire. Here’s what the notification from my employer said:

“[Company Name] is not discontinuing your health coverage or encouraging you to buy health insurance in the Marketplace. We are required by law to send you this Notice, but we also think it is important that you know about the new Marketplace, for several reasons:

“While you (as an employee) will be able to buy insurance in the Marketplace, you will not be eligible for a premium tax credit or for reduced cost-sharing if you have employer coverage available that is “affordable” and provides “minimum value.” (These terms are defined in the attached Notice.) Our group health coverage does provide minimum value, and it does meet the affordability test for all employees.

“If you later terminate employment with [Company Name], you will likely find it less expensive to buy health insurance in the Marketplace than to extend your coverage under COBRA. COBRA will still exist but you may want to compare your COBRA coverage and rates with Marketplace policies and rates.

“If you elect to terminate coverage under the [Company Name] Health Plan and buy health insurance in the Marketplace, you would only be eligible to enroll in the [Company Name] Health Plan during the annual open enrollment period or due to a qualifying event.”

91. UncleBucky says:

Is Florida messing with the internet tubes? ;o)

92. slappymagoo says:

I’m surprised he didn’t tout the efficiency and affordability of an ER visit.

93. Interesting, a number of people have mentioned that.

94. TampaZeke says:

Republicans have always been of the “more for me, none for thee” variety.

95. TampaZeke says:

Same here in Florida.

96. TampaZeke says:

I’m in Florida and having problems too. How did you get past the security question page. I wasn’t given questions and couldn’t create ones of my own.

97. I don’t get it. I keep reading this, but I thought we were told that 90% of people can’t apply? Only those of us on the individual market or with no insurance at all?

98. TampaZeke says:

I can’t get past the security question page. When I click on a
    security question it’s blank. It wants me to answer a question without
    knowing what the question is and I can’t proceed until I do it.

I’m dead in the water until this glitch gets ironed out.

99. TampaZeke says:

Same here! I can’t get past the security question page. When I click on a security question it’s blank. It wants me to answer a question without knowing what the question is and I can’t proceed until I do it.

I’m dead in the water until this glitch gets ironed out.

100. Yes, though I can only imagine explaining that to people.

101. Yeah, larger state, servers probably overwhelmed since it’s the first day

102. How did it deny your for a pre-existing, those are gone as of Jan 1? It was a glitch then?

So you did find a good plan, at a good price?

Even World of Warcraft, with nearly a decade now of experience with server loads, player demand, and development, with its latest patch suffered much the same things. Frequent crashes, hour long queues to log in for some servers, and other glitches. Anyone who thinks that the government developers should have gotten it right the first try without a hitch is delusional, and simply doesn’t understand how internet development works.

104. chris10858 says:

I just tried to apply for a family member in Ohio and got all the way through but the system said that my security questions were improperly formatted? Hmm… I made sure all three were one word answers.

105. 2patricius2 says:

Interesting. Even the writer for Fox News says it is a great program.

106. 2patricius2 says:

Wasn’t FL one of the states where the state refused to set up an exchange and HHS had to set it up?

107. 2patricius2 says:

That’s interesting. I haven’t used a PC for the last 2+ years. I had one at work. I use a Mac OS X operating system on my home desktop. I don’t know what system I had on my work computer.

108. Monoceros Forth says:

Mean, very mean, Naja! (Good shot, though!)

109. Monoceros Forth says:

That’s what I was getting at with my allusion to Square Enix. Even with previous experience with handling a massive online game and multiple beta-testing periods, their roll-out of Final Fantasy XIV was marred by hideously slow login times and frequent server outages often lasting hours at a time.

And this is nothing new. The history of the software industry abounds with troubled product launches. Yet somehow when it happens to a government service it’s proof that the public sector can’t do anything right, not like those sainted private corporations.

Actually, a pretty common problem for any business that doesn’t adequately anticipate the sheer demand for their product. Even the largest tech companies have had their websites go down due to unexpected traffic load.

If they did that, they’d have to shut down the whole thing and re-design it from the ground up a year later and re-release it as Obamacare Reborn.

There’s poor and then there’s the other kind of poor, where you’re working two crappy jobs just to pay the rent and try to keep your kids fed and clothed, and find out the only insurance you can buy would cost upwards of $1000 a month…and specifically excludes your one kid’s asthma medication as a ‘pre-existing condition’…and you don’t qualify for Medicaid because according to your state’s government, you make too much money. Plus, you’d have to sell the car that takes you to those two jobs because it’s an asset and you’re not allowed to have those before qualifying for Medicaid.

Seriously, before PPACA and its Medicaid expansion, you had to have virtually nothing before you’d qualify. And in many states, they had enrollment limits as to how many people they’d take in a given year.

So no. Poor people couldn’t “always” get healthcare through Medicaid.

113. Drew2u says:

“1. Set up an account. First you’ll provide some basic information. Then choose a user name, password, and security questions for added protection.”

Did anyone else laugh at the last part – nice way for the NSA to collect more data!

How dare you get an incurable illness on my dime!

Except the price didn’t stay lower. Inflation on health care spending was going up at twice the national rate of inflation for everything else, right up until the passage of the Affordable Care Act. Then it magically started coming down.

Insurance has always been based around a risk pool, and the more people in the pool, the lower insurance rates are for everyone. It isn’t about only including people in the pool who aren’t going to need to make claims – that system has failed the American people obviously and horribly.

116. Elizabeth says:

I have had a very positive experience over-all. I filled out the application but it was denied from a pre-existing condition. I called the agent listed for the plan and he explained that some of the quoting tables? were having difficulty but he sent me the info I needed and based on the policy type I requested and my income level, I would have exactly what I need and for an amount my pay-grade can afford. I found it easy to use the exchange.

Well, right now it (11:30a MDT), it looks like their servers are overloaded. No surprise. I actually was going to wait a week to apply. But we’ll see.

118. perljammer says:

Yeah, the whole “we have to pass the bill to find out what’s in it”, followed by “we have to wait until it’s implemented to find out how it works” approach is a head-scratcher. Given all that, I expect there to be a lot of rough spots and unintended consequences that (hopefully) will be hammered flat over time. Bureaucracies work best when the the rules are clear and the roles and responsibilities are well understood by both the governors and the governed. Unfortunately, that doesn’t appear to be the case with the present state of ACA.

119. chris10858 says:

Update: I just tried it again. I was able to create username, password and secret Q&As but then got these screens.

Im looking for coverage in Florida

120. chris10858 says:

Asan IT guy myself, I figured the website would be swamped and prob crash a lot in the first week or so. IMHO, they should have set it up so that for each day, only certain groups of people could apply.

For example, for the first two weeks, on Monday, only people with last name of A-F can apply. Tuesday, G-N, etc… that would have helped to bottleneck the number of people inundating the website. Im surprised their IT guys didn’t realize they would not have enough capacity to handle the demands to the site during the 1st week or two.

Of course, this just gives some ammo to Tea Baggers that ObamaCare somehow will not work well.

Hmmm.. perhaps the IT guys are Republican? LOL

121. chris10858 says:

Im here in Florida and have been unable to try to signup since about 2am last night. I just tried it again and it keeps getting locked up midway through the username creation process.

When I try to go through the process again and create the same username, it says my username already exists (it is a very long, complex username.. so no way someone else already has it). I then try to login with the username/password info I created but that doesn’t work either. When I tried the Forgot Password option, it said it sent me a link via email but that hasn’t come thru to my email either.

Im not worried… it’ll eventually work out. Just wanted to report per John’s request.

122. chris10858 says:

I blame President Obama and his people at the White House as well as the Dems in Congress. We progressives mean well for the country and our ideas and values are often to the benefit of most Americans but I swear, Democrats in DC couldnt sell a glass of water to a thirsty guy in the desert. We are horrible at marketing our values to the American people and the President us just as bad.

123. fletcher says:

Loading your pants? Now that’s a preexisting condition if ever I heard one!

124. fletcher says:

The demand must have been high for the site to go down. The same thing happened in some states to get rebates under the Cash For Clunkers program a few years ago. Return later and it will be up.

125. fletcher says:

That’s because in Illinois they realized that those who need affordable healthcare the most are more likely to be using an older computer operating system. In Illinois you can get through down to Windows XP. In some other states you need at least Windows 7.

126. tsuki says:

Not in Florida.

127. dula says:

Wow your radical Republican brother accepted a settlement for his injury…what about tort reform?

128. perljammer says:

You are absolutely eligible to purchase insurance through the exchange if you choose to do so, irrespective of whether your employer offers a plan. I’m surprised you didn’t know that, but maybe I shouldn’t be surprised given the piss-poor job the govt has done in providing information about how this all works. But then, if your company’s HR department was on the ball, they would have informed you of your options just as my company did.

129. Monoceros Forth says:

Which Republican governors want to kill too.

130. doglog18 . says:

“I find it staggering that the Republicans have shut down the government in an attempt to deny poor people health care.”

I find it staggering that you didn’t know poor people could always get healthcare…Called medicaid

131. MyrddinWilt says:

I received a message from HR telling me that the exchanges exist.

However I am not personally eligible to purchase health care through the exchange because my employer offers a plan. So my healthcare is unaffected, just like 90% of people who already have insurance.

Not that it would anyway as I live in Massachusetts and we have had the same scheme ever since the Democrats forced Romney to accept it. Romney first tried to claim credit for it in 2008, then ran against the same scheme at the national level in 2012.

While my health care isn’t affected in the long term, I now have the option to move to another job or another state without risking loss of our health insurance. And we are not affected by lifetime caps on treatment which are easily reached when a drug that costs less than $50 to make costs $50,000 a year.

I find it staggering that the Republicans have shut down the government in an attempt to deny poor people health care. Worse, they are doing it for no other reason than to deny Obama a political victory, they have endorsed the same scheme in the past.

132. Monoceros Forth says:

You should be happy then! More people enrolled means a larger pool and a smaller share of the shared risk for you.

Oh, well. Anyone who fills every other sentence with lamentations about MA TAX DOLLAHS isn’t going to be much use in a discussion.

133. voltronforce says:

Well the Michigan one’s website is broken. If you go to create an account, there are no security questions to select from.

134. HereinDC says:

In essence…..doglog18 is saying you’re SOL. Muther fucker…..pick better parents if you don’t want pre-exisiting condtions.

135. HereinDC says:

By the way , you wrote: “…..make a poor person pay 100 bucks a months for a bronze plan (cheapest). Then get no coverage…..”
    So they are paying a 100 buck a month and get nothing? Really? N O T H I N G? ZIP, ZILCH, NADA? Really? Not even asprin? Please cut and paste on here where you got that information. REally, on the web site it say you pay 100 bucks a month and you “GET NO COVERAGE” ? Really? Or did you make an error when you wrote that sentence…..

136. James JR says:

I’m in my 50s, and my younger brother is about to turn 50. He is a Fox/Limbaugh Republican. He was injured on the job and finally, after being out of work for more than a year, received a small settlement for it. He is out of a job and is going to have difficulty getting another one. I don’t talk politics with him to avoid arguments, but I had to mention that under the dreaded Obamacare he should be able to get basic coverage at least. I was astonished when he said, “yeah, that’s a great thing. Its really going to help me out.” He also mentioned that he was glad it allowed his daughter to stay on his ex-wife’s plan while she’s in college.

There is reason for the Republicans to fear this. It’s cracking through the anti-government shell my brother has been trapped within, and I’m sure he’s just the tip of the iceberg. A return to compassion after 30 years of anger and division is how I explain the insanity now occurring in the House. They cannot process it.

137. HereinDC says:

You lack more that a little empathy.

Don’t give up. It’ll be back within a couple of day.s ;-)

I’m on Medicare where things remain about the same although there may be some minor adjustments down the road. I might be tempted to change my supplemental later but for now, all’s well. As things stand, the Affordable Care Act regulations on Medicare are already in effect and, sure enough, my co-pay on my generic diuretic for blood pressure went down to $1.81 a month. I can’t ask for better than that with a straight face.

140. doglog18 . says:

So your version of compassion is make a poor person pay 100 bucks a months for a bronze plan (cheapest). Then get no coverage until they pay another 10K. I may lack a little empathy but have a full glass of common sense.

141. HereinDC says:

doglog…..
    But you DO have a pre-existing condition…. YOU HAVE NO HEART. Your parents genetically did not pass on the
    gene of empathy. Hopefully it skips a
    generation and your children will have the compassion and empathy gene that you
    don’t have.

142. heimaey says:

Today is a good day (furlough aside).

143. NomadBear says:

I had a sorta similar problem when I tried to buy PhotoShop online last week. The Adobe website kept telling me that my credit card info was not correct. Of course, it was. A couple minutes later I got a call from my credit card company’s Fraud Dept asking if I’d charged something for $1.00 from Adobe – so I know the credit card info I’d entered was accurate. Bottom line: Adobe wouldn’t let me Give them $700 but they did charge me $1.

It’s not just a problem with “the government,” even big computer-related companies like Adobe have the same kind of problems.

144. Bret says:

They should have anticipated a flux of visitors and planned accordingly. The site has completely crashed now.

I can deal with the server being busy, but what I don’t get are the erroneous form errors that keep popping up.

145. 2patricius2 says:

I got through to the local IL information and resources quickly and without a hitch.

146. UncleBucky says:

There are closet Libertarians…

147. 2patricius2 says:

That’s what happened when I worked for a private corporation and we had a new contract. It took a while to work out the kinks, to hire and train more people and to expand our network capacity. Then things worked a thousand times better.

148. Brian says:

About the same as everything else the government does, nothing!!!

149. doglog18 . says:

No thats not how its works. Well as of 3 years ago. We kept people with pre existing conditions out or charged them more to keep the price lower for the rest of us.

150. DTarrantTexas says:

No surprise – the website is down.
    “The System is down at the moment.
    We’re working to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Please try again later.
    Please include the reference ID below if you wish to contact us at 1-800-318-2596 for support.”

151. Monoceros Forth says:

“Why should I pay for your preexisting condition.” Cos that’s how insurance works in the first place? Boyo, your money is going towards the medical bills of a huge number of people you don’t like, gummint or no gummint, just like your money is spent on a whole lot of car accidents you didn’t get into. Suck it up and stop moaning.

152. doglog18 . says:

I don’t have a preexisting condition and never had a lifetime cap. Why should I pay for your preexisting condition. But hey if you think 270 bucks a month with a 3K deductible is good insurance by all means.

153. Monoceros Forth says:

A bit, though not in a serious way :p

154. perljammer says:

If everyone who expresses dissatisfaction with a government-provided service is a Libertarian, there are more Libertarians than anyone suspected.

155. Bomer says:

FF 14 player too?

156. Monoceros Forth says:

Yeah, they should have gotten Square Enix to design their server architecture.

157. UncleBucky says:

Libertarian?

158. UncleBucky says:

Huh?

159. UncleBucky says:

I was with Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL since 2000. I saw my premiums go up, the deductible go up, and the greed exceed my patience. When it hit a magic number, I went to Humana. Same story. THEN I heard that when you first enroll in individual health care insurance, the first year and sometimes the second year are artificially lower. Then reality kicks in. Yeah. I had one surgical need in 2002. And then yeah, reality kicked in. Even though I was physically OK, I think I was demographically not OK with these people.

A few days ago, I chatted with an advisor at the Exchange for Illinois. I chatted with “L” of Texas:

I copied the response:

“These four different plan levels are designed to meet the health and financial needs of various people with different circumstances. The level of coverage is the amount that your plan will pay for each health care service you use. As with all health plans, you must pay a monthly premium, but it is important to know the out-of-pocket costs you owe for services when you get care. Plans with a higher premium will cost more to obtain coverage, but will also have lower out-of-pocket costs when a health care service is used. Among all of these plans, the bronze level offers the lowest premium, and the lowest level of coverage. As the plan levels increase from bronze to silver to gold to platinum, both the premium and the level of coverage will increase. Just keep in mind, that this new Affordable Care Act is going to go by your annual income. This means, no more holes in your pockets.”

And today I find that maybe I can enroll in Medicaid. To HELL with the for-profit or not for profit corporate health care industry. I hate what we have become since 2000. However, the ACA is mitigating a bit my general distaste. Well, we shall see.

An anecdote. In 2008 or so, I was taking my Mom to a doc in the hospital where we usually went. I stepped up to the board which listed doc office numbers. A person stepped in front of me (kinda like cutting in line) so I couldn’t see the board. I spoke to him. “Oh, you must be a pharma representative!” He replied, “How did you know?” I said: “Well, you stepped up here betweeen me and my doctor.” He got a funny look in his face knowing he had sinned. Hah. True story.

Ugh.

160. HereinDC says:

AND…..if you don’t like ACA, …………then call your insurance company today: Tell them you want to be denied coverage for your preexisting condition, you want the lifetime cap put back on your policy and you want the return of the yearly cap of your prescription drugs.

161. Cletus says:

My story is I’m planning on calling all my redneck, hand-to-mouth living in-laws today and ask them if they’ve signed up for Obamacare yet…

162. Reasor says:

It’s day one. Of course the servers are going to be busy.

163. brian says:

That’s what happens when you rely on government. I had the same error

164. brian says:

My story is…. Please wait while loading Obamacare
    Rates!!!!

165. Bret says:

Whoever the hell coded that site didn’t know what they were doing. The first time I attempted to sign up it said the server was busy and to try again. Which I did. And I got that response 3 more times. Then I started getting an error that said 2 or more of the security questions couldn’t contain the same answer (which they didn’t). I attempted 2 more times and got the same error so I finally gave up.