Anonymous may have just crashed NSA’s Web site

The Web site for America’s super secret spy agency, the National Security Agency (NSA), is down at the same that a Twitter account reputedly associated with the Internet action group Anonymous claims credit.

The NSA is the United States’ electronic eavesdropping agency. When it comes to intercepting phone calls, and other methods of spying electronically, the NSA’s your agency.

At some point this afternoon, some reports suggesting as early as noon Eastern time – six hours before this story was written – the NSA Web site went down:

nsa-web-site-down

Here’s a site that helps to pinpoint when it went down – it’s says around noon ET:
nsa-web-site-down2Now what’s interesting is that a Twitter account loosely tied to Anonymous is claiming credit:

Ironically, we were just writing about the NSA last night, when the former head of the agency, Michael Hayden, found himself the victim of some eavesdropping while sitting on an Amtrak train talking to a reporter by phone, and a passenger sitting behind him heard the entire conversation and tweeted much of it.

The passenger was my friend Tom Matzzie, a longtime progressive activist and now clean energy entrepreneur:

32 Responses to “Anonymous may have just crashed NSA’s Web site”

1. wokar1996 says:

learn how you can make 100 bucks a day at home!! quickly go here surveymoneymaker dot net

2. misfitsoda says:

Gotta support anonymous.

3. The_Fixer says:

Good point. Yeah, they do value money above human life. I would love to see Cheney destitute and have a certain amount of sympathy for the idea of forcibly making him so. However, I wonder if that would help change things right now. For every one Cheney down, we’d have a thousand more ready, willing and able to take his place.

Because the government values money so much, that would only complicate things, I fear. Everything seems to be measured in money these days. Probably because so few people have a lot of it, and so many people have so little of it. The people and entities who have a lot of it can buy influence with it. I could go on and on about that, but will spare you :)

Part of what true activism is, of course, changing the conversation. If activists (Anonymous, or those of any stripe) wanted to, they could make it about money, but they wouldn’t be changing the conversation. The point of justice and integrity in government would be buried under the fact that someone had a financial loss.

What they are ultimately after is justice, of course. It’s unjust to concoct a rogue intelligence apparatus in an effort to lead us into an unjust war. It’s unjust to interfere with other countries’ political systems so that we can expand the Military Industrial Complex. It’s unjust to monitor the conversations of everyone in the country in the guise of providing security. The Patriot Act was an unjust overreaction to a terror incident. I could go on with examples, but I’m sure you get the point. Clouding the issue by stealing their money would make it solely about money, because, as you say, the state values money above all; an outright theft would cause them to waste no time framing it that way in the press.

As I say, I’d love to see the greedy, moneyed pricks who have damaged this country pay dearly. At some point, it may come to that. But I think we need to try a different set of tactics before resorting to what amounts to massive Robin Hood-ism.

A raid of patriotic protest. The state values money far above human life…..thus an anarchist’s perfect target.

Cheney made hundreds of millions in blood money. I would be nice to see it drained and sent into oblivion.

6. The_Fixer says:

Well, the NSA entrusted a contractor with their secrets. Edward Snowden had security clearances, and apparently, a conscience. One can seldom predict when one of your employees, who meets the criteria for obtaining a suitable security clearance, is going to develop a conscience. He may have walked away with information, but he also was cleared to have it. Doubtless there are process problems in the NSA’s program. But they aren’t a bunch of boob security guards like you find at your local mall, either.

Competence? Well, they did have the brainpower and facilities to crack some advanced encryption. So they can’t be all that stupid. But do note that even the smartest of people make stupid mistakes like put off patching software. Easy to do in a computing environment that is complex. Not to mention the fact that computing, if it were being compared to human development could be compared to a 3 year-old who hasn’t been toilet trained yet.

Yes, Keith Alexander’s “battle bridge” is ridiculous and wasteful. And yes, good tools will not make incompetent people smart. But I hardly think that the NSA is full of a bunch of rank amateurs. There are some very smart people there, and what makes them dangerous is the fact that they have such little oversight and an attitude that they can do no wrong.

7. The_Fixer says:

Hacking a public web site may not be hard (for some people). Covering your tracks is another matter. Especially when you are dealing with the NSA, that’s kind of their speciality, I would think.

How do you know that they didn’t get to the drives that collect our E-Mail? We don’t know that. Judging by the fact that the site was down for at least 6 hours, it certainly at least got the NSA nervous. I wouldn’t be surprised to find it down for a day or two while they evaluate just how far they penetrated the system.

Draining people’s bank accounts takes things to a whole new level, suddenly a protest turns into a for-profit enterprise. I don’t think that Anonymous has that in mind. It’s a protest action. I get your point, these are despicable people. But doing that would not help their cause, only hinder it.

You may view this as a prank, but I can assure you that all of the people involved do not view it as such.

8. AdmNaismith says:

Hacking a public website isn’t THAT hard. This is fairly hilarious, but it’s not like they got to the drives that collect all our e-mail.

I want to see Anonymous draining the bank accounts of Dick Cheney and drug cartels, stuff that really hurts criminals.
    These pranks are fun and all, but it hardly gets these guys where they live.

9. Butch1 says:

I think the government stepped on their own “organ.”

10. Butch1 says:

Good! “What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander!”

I’ll play saw

good one!

13. Susan Williams says:

I Love Love Love you Anonymous! Keep up your great work!

14. Tom Czerniawski says:

Thank you Anon. Long live the fighters.

15. Tom Czerniawski says:

The NSA allowed a low-ranking contractor to walk away with their secrets. I don’t think they’re the most technically competent bunch – despite Keith Alexander’s “battle bridge” and the experimental Vesuvius quantum supercomputer they’re getting from D-Wave…

16. Bill_Perdue says:

Good for them.

17. The_Fixer says:

Seriously, if true, this is telling. The people at the NSA are seriously good at hacking into other people’s web sites. This means two things:

1) Anonymous has got some very skilled hackers. They’re no one to screw with.

2) The NSA, who knows about security vulnerabilities with common software, is not too good at patching them. Or they’re not as smart as we’ve been led to believe.

Now we wait for the other shoe to drop. What, if anything, in the way of information did Anonymous get when they broke in? And what kind of effect will it have on our intelligence gathering capabilities?

I suspect that this could get very interesting in the coming days. Especially if the NSA says “Didn’t happen” and Anonymous proves that it did by releasing some of whatever they got their hands on, if anything.

18. The_Fixer says:

I can join in as soon as I get a new motor for my Emenee chord organ. Once they’re back on line, maybe the NSA can tell me where to get one?

19. chris10858 says:

That’s a good idea… not that Im advocating for anything illegal but if Anonymous were to begin attacking the Tea Party donors like the Koch brothers and the GOP itself, I wouldnt shed a tear. :)

20. Jim Olson says:

Sc-hayden-freude?

21. Sabe_Moya says:

News item: Government selects NSA website and IT security team to fix the Obamacare website.

Couldn’t happen to a more worthy agency.

Will Disqus report me for saying that’s fracking hillarious? Yes, they probably will
    . . . as soon as it’s back up. Bwa-ha-ha!

24. pricknick says:

More likely some of those countries we’ve been eavesdropping on took out some revenge.
    Once you use a program against others, they know how to use it too.

25. Maria Aragon says:

Fine, now do something about the Koch Brothers’ extensive network of manipulation while you’re at it, Anonymous.

I’ll accompany you on the kazoo.

Agreed. Laugh-out-loud moment for me there.

28. Whitewitch says:

Thank you AnonyMouse…I love you – sometimes you actually make me proud. Go get em “kids”. Keep them down as long as you can! Every minute makes you stronger.

29. Dave of the Jungle says:

“No word yet from the Republicans as to whether the NSA need now be defunded as their Web site doesn’t work.”

That’s funny.

30. DrDignity says:

The goddess has sense of humor & irony!!

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer agency. I will be playing the world’s saddest song on the world’s smallest violin for them.