The Wall Street Journal apparently thought it would be neat to have former “Three’s Company” star Suzanne Somers write a piece for them as an “expert” on national health care policy, aka Obamacare.

Besides doing a bad job playing a bimbo, Chrissy, on 1970s television, Somers is best known for her infomercial for the “Thighmaster,” a device for women interested in slimming down their thighs in just minutes a day.

suzane-somers-thighmaster

So yes, the Wall Street Journal, when pondering which “expert” might have something interesting to add to the debate over the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare), they reached out to the creator of the Thighmaster, who’s apparently a bit of a right-wing nut.  And boy, did they pay for it.

Somers wrote a lovely seven paragraph screed about the evils of communism, or Canada, or something.  And then, to make things even more fun, she got a lot of it wrong. So wrong, in fact, that the Journal had to issue a long “correction” beneath her story.  Let’s just quote that correction in full, shall we?

suzanne-somers-correction

Ouch.  Can’t you just feel the truth slimming down?

Now, before you go and mock Suzanne Somers for knowing next to nothing about the Affordable Care Act, she starts her essay by reminding readers that she’s authored 24 books “mostly on health and wellness”:

As a writer of 24 books mostly on health and wellness and by using my celebrity to get to the best and brightest doctors, scientists and medical professionals in the alternative and integrative health-care world, I have come to the following conclusions:

First of all, let’s call affordable health care what it really is: It’s socialized medicine.

Her expertise on national health care policy is writing 24 books “mostly on health and wellness”?

I suppose then we shouldn’t count Suzanne Somer’s collection of personal poems, “Touch me.”

suzanne-somers-touch-me-poems

No, Suzanne Somers is resting her astute health care reform expertise on her two dozen aging and diet books, including such august titles as:

• Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty
  • I’m Too Young for This!: The Natural Hormone Solution to Enjoy Perimenopause
  • The Sexy Forever Recipe Bible
  • Suzanne Somers’ Eat, Cheat, and Melt the Fat Away
  • Suzanne Somers’ 365 Ways to Change Your Life
  • Suzanne Somers’ Get Skinny on Fabulous Food
  • Suzanne Somers’ Slim and Sexy Forever: The Hormone Solution for Permanent Weight Loss and Optimal Living
  • Stay Young & Sexy with Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement: The Science Explained
  • Bombshell: Explosive Medical Secrets That Will Redefine Aging
  • Anti-Aging Cures: Life Changing Secrets to Reverse the Effects of Aging

Joe Stiglitz and Paul Krugman look out, we’ve got a live one here!

Somers goes on to talk about her “expertise” in Canadian health care specifically – you see, her husband is Canadian – and how Canadian health care works just like Obamacare (she claims).  So if Canadian health care is lousy, then so is the Affordable Care Act.

We then find out that Somers’ Canadian sister-in-law has an awful story about not being able to see a doctor for two months (really two and a half months), while vomiting continuously the entire 74-day period:

My sister-in-law had to wait two months to get a General Practitioner. During this period she spent her days in bed vomiting continuously, unable to get any food or drink down because she couldn’t get an appointment with the doctor. When she finally did, the doctor said, “Oh you don’t need me, you need a specialist.” That took another two weeks until she got a pill that corrected the problem.

Really, is this what we want?

Huh.  Her sister-in-law vomited “continuously” for two and a half months straight, and during that 74-day period was “unable to get any food or drink down.”

Really?

Now, I’m not sure how it works in Canada, but in America, if you don’t drink for 74 days, you die.  Sometime in the first week (while you can go several weeks without food, you really can’t go more than a few days, to a week, without water).

And that’s not even counting someone who’s “vomiting continuously” for the entire 74 days – they’d be significantly more dehydrated, and presumably would perish even more quickly.  But suffice it to say, no one stops eating and drinking for 74 days, vomiting continuously the entire time, and survives to tell Suzanne Somers about it.

Since we’re all about Canada in this story, let’s hear from the CBC on the subject:

In general terms, the human body can go two to three days without water and, it is often said in survival guides, 30 to 40 days without food of any kind.

That’s a tad short of 74 days.

Oh, but why stop there.  I asked a real American medical doctor about Suzanne Somers’ claim that her sister-in-law lived for 60 days on no food or water, vomiting continuously the entire two month period.  Here’s what the MD had to say:

She’s exaggerating.  Her sister-in-law couldn’t have survived 60 days “without being able to get anything down.”  She’d have died of dehydration, would have had massive electrolyte imbalance, would have probably developed Boerhaave’s syndrome (ruptured esophagus) from that much vomiting, probably at some point would have aspirated and either choked to death on vomit or developed aspiration pneumonia.

Also, that much vomiting could have caused other things, like rupturing blood vessels in esophagus, stomach, possibly brain.  If that didn’t kill her, not getting food for 60 days?  She’d go into ketosis which could be fatal and she’d also starve to death.

And there are even more ways that her sister-in-law would probably be dead from that phony ordeal.  Dehydration would lead to major organ failure (e.g., kidneys), electrolyte imbalance would cause cardiac arrhythmias, and more.

And if she was that sick, why didn’t she go to an ER? What kind of self-destructive moron would/could spend 60 days in bed, horribly ill waiting for one doctor? If she couldn’t see “her” doctor, she could have seen another or gone to a clinic, urgicare, ER or called 911.  Even if there were only one doctor in town, she could have had someone drive her somewhere else to see one.  If she were vomiting and starving for that long, no doctor would have sent her to a specialist.  He’d have taken a quick look and called 911 to get her to the nearest ER stat.

Somers is channeling Chrissy and Michele Bachmann.

Let’s delve further into this matter of someone who’s been vomiting for 60 days, and hasn’t eaten or drunk anything in two months, not being able to see any doctor at all in Canada the entire time.  That sounded a bit odd to me, so since I’m a Canadian health care expert too – I have Canadian Twitter followers! – I decided to ask my Twitter-in-laws if it’s true that you can wait two months to see a doctor in Canada when you’re deathly ill. Here’s what they told me:

In other words, you might wait weeks, or even months to see a specialist – like when I called a dermatologist in Washington, DC and told them I had a mole that was causing me concern, and they told me the next available appointment was in two months. And I have an expensive PPO plan.

But, in Canada, if you don’t care which doctor you see, you can see one immediately.  Just like in America.

(And even here in the US, you’d have to beg to get a same-day appointment in your doctor’s office, even to see some other doctor in the practice, unless you have an HMO, and even then you’re not getting the doctor of your choice.)

Here’s another Tweet from Canada:

Again, if you choose the doctor you want to see, you might have to wait to see them, but if you don’t care which doctor you see in the practice, you can see them sooner. Just like my primary care physician, who I adore, but who is usually booked about 3 weeks out, so I can either wait to see him, or go now to someone else in his practice. And here are a few more:

Right, so the way it works in Canada sounds exactly like it works in America. If you have a specific doctor in mind, you’ll likely wait several weeks to see them (and if they’re a dermatologist, months). But if you don’t mind which doctor you see, you can come in today, especially if you’ve been vomiting for 60 days continuously.

Oh, and here’s another crazy idea, if you’ve been vomiting continuously for 60 days, and haven’t eaten or had anything to drink is two months – go to a freaking emergency room:

The rest of Somers’ article is equally idiotic, including her claim that “all” we’ve heard about, since the Obamacare exchanges launched, is people finding that their health care prices have doubled and tripled. Well, yeah, if you watch Fox News I’m sure that is “all” you’ve heard. If, like the rest of America, you actually went out and got the facts, you’d find out that “all you are hearing on the news” is not “how everyone’s premiums are doubling and tripling.”

My monthly premiums will likely go down about $40 a month (and I’ll have prescription drug coverage which I’ve never really had before in any meaningful way).

Or if you’re my friend Tracy Russo, your premiums are being cut in half.

So I cry “bull” on Suzanne Somer’s entire piece in the Wall Street Journal, from her sob story about her amazing death-defying Canadian sister-in-law who ought to join the circus, to her bizarre claim that no one has seen lower monthly premiums with the Obamacare exchanges.

It really is shocking to think that someone so qualified to opine on this topic could end up being so wrong: suzane-somers-thighmaster

PS In tomorrow’s Wall Street Journal, Mr. Roper explains why immigration reform is totally gay:

mr-roper

62 Responses to “How Murdoch-ized is WSJ? They’re publishing Suzanne Somers as anti-Obamacare expert”

1. Bomer says:

Yeah, I did the math on what he made in one year just on cash payments and he was no where near the poor house (if I remember right he was comfortably clearing over a million a year on just cash payments). And considering that when I worked for him in the early part of the 2000s he was still using equipment from when he bought the practice back in the late 80s so it wasn’t like he was dumping money into the practice (but he had enough for 3 cars and two houses with one being a lake house). I think the only bit of new equipment was the Visual Field testing machine. It was only shortly before I left that he bothered to get the examining chairs reupholstered because patients were starting to complain about how ratty they were. Went back a few years ago (think it was 3 or 4) and he had finally broken down and replaced all the prescreening equipment; I was a little miffed when I saw that considering the old crap I had to work with and the excuses he would give as to why he couldn’t get newer machines.

2. olandp says:

I do my Dermatologist’s hair. He was complaining about all of the back taxes he had to pay under the Clinton tax increase and I had all of that I could take. I told him that I would trade with him any day of the week, if I made enough to have to pay I would do it gladly, and wouldn’t complain about it one bit. He has never complained again to me. If an Ophthalmologist isn’t making enough money and is on the way to the poor house, he is a lousy doctor and businessman. For some people there is never enough money and they are always put upon. You are lucky to get away from there.

3. Bomer says:

I really couldn’t say how much money he made. All I know was the he was constantly complaining that he was on his way to the poor house and that’s why I couldn’t have a real raise or benefits (although I did get free eye exams).

4. vickif says:

Suzanne Somer is a liar. I know that’s a lie as my youngest son came home from Las Vegas last year and the next day he was throwing up and couldn’t stop. I ended up taking him to the Emergency Room and he was there for twelve hours and he was so dehydrated they put him on glucose-I think that’s what it was. He had an infection and that was making him throw up. He was in the hospital for 4 days. So there is no way her sister-in-law could throw up for days.

5. BillFromPA says:

I’d like to think that the Wingnut Media is harming itself with the public at large with this dumbing down. Naturally the ‘Baggers eat this up, but we’re in real trouble if lefties and independents don’t see articles such as this as being ridiculous.

6. olandp says:

You forgot to mention that the ophthalmologist’s practice generated several million dollars a year, the doctor himself making well into seven figures. Ophthalmology is the most profitable area of medicine in this country.

7. SusanS says:

Representative Tom Price quoted an article in the New York Post yesterday during a Congressional hearing on the ACA. Republicans believe that Murdoch’s publications are credible.

8. misfitsoda says:

I prefer the American system where I stay at the hospital for 5 days and go bankrupt whether I have insurance or not, thank you very much you SOCIALIST.

Thirty years ago socialized medicine in England saved my life. America is in the dark ages listening to plastic bimbo about medicine.

10. cole3244 says:

you do realize i was being facetious, but i get your point.

11. UFIA says:

Suzanne Somer would have told Murdoch’s “press” the whole story if she hadn’t had to be at the gym in 26 minutes.
    Read all about it in Suzanne Somer’s 25th book on health and wellness:
    “The Canadian sister’s miracle weight loss regime.”

That sister wasn’t retching or dry-heaving but spent her days in bed vomiting continuously, so let’s go with the very, very low estimate of one fluid ounce of vomit regurgitated per minute.
    She would have produced a steaming gallon every 128 minutes, or, rounded generously, twelve gallons of puke per day. 84 gallons per week. She could have filled about twelve bathtubs with her bitter gut-spewage per month and could have ended up with a minimum of 72 bathtubs worth of vile, heaved up matter in the time that it took for her to get qualified medical help with a pill.

That is, if she had that many bathtubs abailable, and a bucket brigade away from her bed to those tubs. Else, her bedroom, even if it was a large bedroom, would have been filled to the ceiling with those stomach contents overflowing and hip deep in the neighbouring rooms, beginning to exit the building.

None of this takes into account the massive barfing any accidental onlookers and the (necessary) hazmat and superfund clean-up workers would have involuntarily felt overcome by, further exacerbating this general “upheaval”, causing this wave of regurgitation to radially spread at an estimated average speed of five miles per day until one day, months later, crawling to a stop in the thinly populated expanses of the formerly great white north’s wilderness.

Damn you Obama!

12. No copay. I remember when I was in Canada, decades ago, campaign and canoeing in the boundary waters above Minnesota, and I got seriously ill – some kind of nasty gut thing, dysentery, something, but not good while camping in the middle of nowhere pre-cell-phones (not that there’d be coverage). So we quit the trip one day early, and went to some small town near the border, I asked around, maybe at a pharmacist, they recommended a local doctor. I got an appointment that day. Saw her. She said yeah it was likely a stomach bug or something, prescribed some pain killers, I asked her how to pay, I didn’t have insurance in Canada, and she told me “don’t worry about it.” AT the time I thought she just wrote the bill off, I didn’t realize that everything was basically free (though is it free for foreigners, maybe she did just write it off.)

13. The_Fixer says:

I won’t be giving them a pass on this.

She is completely uncredentialed, has had no experience even working in the health care field, and has absolutely no administrative experience in it, either.

Might as well have my neighbor who works in IT comment. His commentary would be just as valid (maybe moreso, he’s a smart dude).

14. Mickey Bitsko says:

Excellent suggestion. Oh, and Potrzebie!

15. emjayay says:

Never read it but those guys once had a weekly news opinion panel show on PBS for a while. They were all stupid and insufferable pompous pricks. Pretty soon it shuffled off to somewhere like Fox, and then I guess sank.

At least the left tends to be fact driven, even if they can sometimes go too far to try and make a point. The right makes shit up, and we’re supposed to just accept blatant bullshit as the valid counterpoint to reality.

17. Lordwhorfin says:

Ok, so we are in clear psychic link today. Thanks for putting it better than I did!

And y’know what? Moore may be somewhat out there and engage in a touch of hyperbole, what he says in his social commentary happens in nearly every case to be true. Sure, it has Moore’s personal spin on it and he does like to grandstand (that boat trip to Cuba for people needing healthcare comes to mind), but he doesn’t make up BS out of thin air.

And Sharpton was definitely a rabble-rouser and firebrand, but he’s a very different man these days. As for Jesse Jackson — when did he ever flat-out lie about the plight of African Americans?

Meanwhile, Sommers is given a national media platform in the WSJ to assert something that is biologically impossible and make phony claims about how awful the Canadian healthcare system is. Bachmann and Gohmert are elected to Congress and appear on national TV to be unrefuted as they assert ridiculous wingnut nonsense. Death panels and birtherism are treated as if they’re legitimate positions based in reality.

19. Lordwhorfin says:

And whatever one may think of aspects of their careers and work, Al’s quite the amazing analyst of a lot on MSNBC, and Moore, for all his polemics, is right far more than he is wrong, and not nearly as fact-challenged as ANYONE who writes for the WSJ Op-Ed page. Sure, he’s a lightening rod, but Breitbart he is not.

Jesse Jackson is a civil rights hero, regardless of any of his other failings-all humans have feet of clay.

Spelling edit

20. Republicans love, love, love to tell me about Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson whenever we talk about their “crazies.” And regardless of your views on any of those three men, none of them has been elected to national office, and none of them is a leading voice in the Democratic party.

21. Bill Stephens says:

I am a Canadian, in Kelowna, B.C. Recently I was at my doctors for a regular checkup, he sent me for blood tests that day. Called me two days later and told me he was concerned that my red blood cell count was low. Referred me to a GI specialist, saw him within a week, he had me undergo a colonoscopy and a CT scan all within 10 days!!
    That’s how our health care system works!! Fast and efficient if it could be serious. Sometimes a bit slow and cumbersome if it’s not life threatening, such as a knee replacement. By the way, there was no cost to me at all. We have no such thing as a co-pay, or a limit on costs.

22. I assumed he was, but I doubt that would stop the Wall Street Journal from publishing something new from him.

23. cole3244 says:

everyone is an upgrade over palin and her ilk, but somers is not dissimilar.

sometimes my attempts at humor are lost in translation and some are overly argumentative i have a hard time distinguishing the two.

24. chris10858 says:

Hi Suzanne… if you are truly a health expert and celebrity, why did you not fly your sister in law down to the US during this 74 day period and pay for her to go see an American doctor? You must be a cold-hearted b*tch to let her suffer and not offer to fly her down for some good ole American healthcare.

25. Blogvader says:

Probably one of the same geniuses who thinks we shouldn’t vaccinate kids.

Ugh.

26. Maybe she can tell us how John Ritter would have died from a burst aorta under the Canadian system as well! (facetious)

27. Peter says:

The other thing I want to mention is that I am tired of the fair and balanced sportscaster approach to news. How about we revert to truth and have the talking heads that laughingly refer to themselves as reporters start responding in kind when these people spout crap that is either blatantly untrue or so twisted by cutting room edits and soundbites to apparently mean the exact opposite of what was said. Faux news I’m pointing at you.

*shrugs* It’s enough to say that Sommers is an ignorant fool who, like many abysmally stupid people, has no idea just how moronic she actually is.

I’ve met her sort before — including some on the fringe-y far radical left — who have built this bizarre fact-free world construct in their minds, full of notions and beliefs that simply do not bear up under any kind of logical scrutiny. Sometimes they get together with like-minded loonies and spin out even more bizarre scenarios.

The difference, of course, is the craziest on the left don’t get published in the Wall Street Freaking Journal. Or elected to Congress. Or take over most of a major political party.

29. emjayay says:

I don’t see the upgrade from Palin, or the even more similar Michele Bachmann. All apparently birds of a feather.

Yes, my sister told me about the brother-in-law of a co-worker’s cousin in Canada who was bleeding from the rectum and had to wait over a year for a colonoscopy. So he finally had to come to the US to get one.

31. Whitewitch says:

Excellent rule of three!

The Wall Street Journal is now owned by Murdoch’s wingnut media empire.

We should be surprised they’d put an ignorant has-been actress’s factually-challenged account in there as if it’s from an ‘expert’ on healthcare?

33. Peter says:

I love the way she says to call it socialized medicine. I wish this country provided socialized medicine for all its citizens.

These idiots speak of it as if it is something bad.

Having lived in the UK for 11 years and experienced it first hand it was amazing. I could get an emergency appointment with my clinic the same day if necessary, Routine tests were done at a hospital outpatient center within a week, specialists can be seen quickly in an emergency, the emergency rooms, while crowded performed the same triage that can be seen at any US hospital.

Having fallen ill while I was away on holiday, after returning home and not getting better, I went to the emergency room, when I described my symptoms, I was seen almost immediately, was admitted and put into critical care where I spent the next 5 days. After recovering in a standard ward for 2 or 3 additional days I was finally discharged and received all the meds I needed in a take home package and scheduled for a followup in a week.

All this with no bills, no charge for meds until I had to refill them, which, when I had to do cost me £5 each for a 30 or 90 day supply.

Yes, socialized medicine is an evil thing.

34. Whitewitch says:

Ahh the infamous shithouse rat, my personal fav! I could be a great columnist for the WSJ as I have no expertise at all…

35. Whitewitch says:

Pssstt….I think Mr. Roper is deceased….sadly not the same can be said for Suzanne – except in the head of course.

36. Peter says:

That is why I love the opening screed from the first episode of HBO’s Newsroom. It is so true.

37. emjayay says:

I read all the comments at WSJ. Most amplify what John and commenters said here. It’s absurd that the WSJ published this at all.

The first sentence after claiming her expertise based on 24 ridiculous books is completely wrong. The ACA isn’t remotely socialized medicine or a Ponzi scheme. It’s the most un-socializedmedicine-esque system on earth.
    Then it goes downhill: her sister in law didn’t know about emergency rooms and walk in clinics all over the place? All those doctor relatives, and she puked for two months and couldn’t eat while miraculously not dying? Her dead 75 year old girlfriend must have had some guaranteed short-term terminal cancer and probably had every normal treatement already, or ignored it until she was at death’s door while maybe using coffee enemas or whatever she got from one of Suzanne
    s books and then got the same treatment she would have gotten anywhere. Only retirees have pre-existing conditions? And most people in the US who are retired are 65 and on Medicare, the most similar to the Canadian medicare system we have here.

What Churchill really said in 1944 in a speech to the Royal College of Physicians in London:

“The discoveries of healing science must be the inheritance of all. That is clear. Disease must be attacked, whether it occurs in the poorest or the richest man or woman simply on the ground that it is the enemy; and it must be attacked just in the same way as the fire brigade will give its full assistance to the humblest cottage as readily as to the most important mansion. Our policy is to create a national health service in order to ensure that everybody in the country, irrespective of means, age, sex, or occupation, shall have equal opportunities to benefit from the best and most up-to-date medical and allied services available.”
    Suzanne Sommers is exactly the same thing as Michele Bachman, but fortunately with no political power. I was tempted to write something sexist and ageist there, but then I thought of Louie Gohmert. But then, aren’t they really in a special class of passionate but totally credulous aging completely done up right wing women?

38. cole3244 says:

i have to give the wsj a pass here, somers is an upgrade over most of the anti obamacare crowd (palin etc) although she still is laughable as an expert, she played a fool on threes company and she carried that into her real life.

after the way she & her husband handled her compensation disagreement with the three’s company producers and she got fired no one should take her advice on anything.

ps – i hate the term blond bimbo but i looked it up in the encyclopedia and suzannes picture was the example, who knew!

39. fletcher says:

An editor worth his/her salt could have edited Somers’ article down to a single word: “Duh!”

40. PeteWa says:

Vomiting
    by Suzanne Somers

Vomiting
    In secret places / no doctor has time for
    In silent places
    My sister vomits more and more
    In sad places
    Seventy four days without health care

Vomiting
    In the morning / illness still clings
    At midday
    Vomit confusion crowds upon her
    At twilight
    As she begins to wither away
    In the evening
    When I see her and I hear her / vomiting all

etc. etc. truly, it never stops.

To be fair, even in pre-Murdoch days, the WSJ’s editorial writers and columnists were crazier than shithouse rats. The news would be if that had now crossed over into the news department. Back in the day, I knew newspeople from the WSJ, and they were pretty embarrassed by the opinion pages.

But she’s fully qualified to give the bimbo point of view which, understandably, most WSJ-readers take to be factual. It goes with the Murdochery of it all.

43. I went to Suzanne Sommer’s sister-in-law’s house, and she had granite counter-tops!!

This is worse than Benghazi!!1!

44. The_Fixer says:

Like I can find anything this woman says to be credible. She hawked a spring-loaded gizmo to build up your thighs, spent oodles of money with plastic surgeons and acted like a dolt on a TV show.

This is hardly the mark of a health care expert. Her screed was stupid, and never should have seen print.

45. ArthurH says:

I’m surprised that WSJ accepted Suzanne Somers as a healthcare expert for reasons other than her politics. I remember have the WSJ razzed actor Jack Klugman when he testified before Congress in favor of an orphan drug bill. In his testimony he noted a member of his family who suffered from a rare malady that had yet no cure. He had read extensively on this disease which he described in detail before Congress. WSJ sneered at Klugman as not and expert, especially since Klugman had insisted that an episode of his “Quincy” TV series be built around the disease and it had recently aired, prompting his invite to testify. Of course, Klugman was a political liberal and well, according to the WSJ, you know…

46. fletcher says:

Quite true, Mickey. But according to Mad Magazine (with your name you must have some connection to the mag) Ringo Starr would have done a better job as the mystery girl in the sports car in “American Graffiti.”

47. Hue-Man says:

Number of doctors per 100,000 population: U.S. 2.4 Canada 2.1 per World Bank http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.PHYS.ZS

My family doctor is in a multi-doctor (20 or 30?), two location practice which has after-hours walk-in clinic (5 to 7) and weekends (9 to Noon). The times I’ve had to, I’ve seen another doctor within the hour (the appointments clerk knows it would be a 3-hour wait for non-emergent complaints at the ER). If someone waited 60 days to seek medical treatment, a mandatory psych evaluation should be ordered!

48. Mickey Bitsko says:

Correction to an otherwise great commentary: “Besides doing a bad job playing a bimbo, Chrissy, on 1970s television, ” Actually, Ms. Somers was perfect in the role.

49. … 3 decades without a hit tv show….

50. Bomer says:

Once upon a time I used to work for an ophthalmologist in Dallas and he was almost always booked solid 2-3 months in advance (sometimes 4). It was his own private practice so there were no other doctors there and if a patient, or new patient, didn’t like their wait times their only other option was to try and go someplace else. (This was the early 2000s or so and hasn’t changed much since then.)

My grandmother, however, can call her primary doctor and get an appointment usually with in the same week she called, often on the same day, and the only problems there is scheduling them around me getting access to my mother’s car so I can drive my grandmother to the appointment. Now, if she’s trying to see a specialist then she tends to have to wait a few weeks to a month or so depending on the specialist. My grandmother has Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO (government employee-retired policy) and Medicare.

51. rextrek says:

well Thank you fro letting me know that SS is ANOTHER on a Long List of Asshole celebrities to NEVER watch anything they are in……

52. keirmeister says:

Suzanne Somers is 67 years old. Google a recent picture of her. That woman has seen more cuts to her face than Pinhead from “Hellraiser,” trying to look like she did when she worked with Joyce DeWitt.

Anyone who can afford that much augmentation and elective surgery has NO authority lecturing anyone on health insurance. She’s obviously doing well enough to not have to worry about such things.

53. HereinDC says:

John. I have Aetna. I chooseGeorgetown Hospital: they accepts Aetna and I live close to Georgetown, It does take a couple weeks to see my main healthcare Doctor ( who I’ve had for almost 20 years). for an appointment with him…..so I choose a whomever is ever available for quicker appointment. Well, Guess What. Since Georgetown U in a teaching college……guess who supervises that attending physican who comes in to see me…….My actually Doctor!

54. Monoceros Forth says:

What’s especially ridiculous is that Canada isn’t some far-off foreign land that you can freely make up lies about because few people will ever see it for themselves. It’s right upstairs! Surely if it were some communist hellhole where you have to get onto a six-month waiting list just to get your temperature taken we’d know more about it? Wouldn’t every health clinic anywhere near the northern border be flooded with Canadian refugees desperate for the treatment they’re not getting in Canuckistan?

55. heimaey says:

If I have to see my PCP today because I have an emergency, like say I have a really bad stomach bug or something, chances are 90% or higher that I’ll just see the nurses. Which will be fine. If it’s something really severe it’s possible that I could see him but at that point I’d probably have to go to the emergency room. Do these people really think you can just go in and see any doctor at any time you want? Maybe *they* can as she might have her own personal doctor, or she may work for Goldman Sachs who have their own in house physicians that travel the world with them.

56. heimaey says:

She oughtta know Ponzi schemes though.

57. A_nonymoose says:

Suzanne Somers / Health Care = Jenny McCarthy / Autism

58. caphillprof says:

Americans generally have no idea about life in other countries and the ideas they do have are based on jingoism or propaganda and are not reality based. It’s never dawned on most Americans how this country’s international rankings have slid in the last 50 years (with the exception of incarceration, torture, and extreme inequality of wealth). Part of the troubles with healthcare is that most Americans have no reality based notion about healthcare in Europe or Canada.

59. Testor15 says:

Have you noticed the lowering quality of articles and reporting in the WSJ since the sale to Fox News became owners? I have very little respect for the WSJ so bringing in an aging TV personality from 40 years ago fits.

60. dommyluc says:

I believe going three minutes without oxygen can have an extremely detrimental effect on the brain. I assume that’s what happened to Ms. Somers. In that Stalinist republic of Canadiastan, of course.
    Keep fucking that chicken, right-wingers. Keep fucking that chicken.

61. SkippyFlipjack says:

Rule of thumb: three minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food.

I think Somers’ account of Canadian healthcare makes it seem, frankly, amazingly good! You can subject yourself to three months of continuous vomiting without medical care, go see a specialist and they give you a “pill that corrected the problem.” That’s miraculous! What kind of pills does Canada have access to that we don’t?