Government Shutdown: Jon Stewart’s take (video)

Jon Stewart weighs in on the Republican shutdown of the government over their insistence that Obamacare, aka health care reform, aka the Affordable Care Act, be defunded.

Mitch McConnell: “The President’s more than willing to negotiate with Iranians, I don’t know why he wouldn’t be willing to negotiate with us.”

Jon Stewart: “If it turns out that President Barack Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard-lined, unreasonable totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not the Republicans, maybe he’s not the problem.”

jon-stewart-government-shutdown

64 Responses to “Government Shutdown: Jon Stewart’s take (video)”

1. Common Sense says:

Uh this guy! ! Think about it…Who the hell can afford odummer care! They did not READ what they PASSED!!

2. The_Fixer says:

I have been reading the back-and-forth here, Frederick Bastiat, and from what I have seen, Classical Liberalism/Libertarianism (I trust you’ll allow me to lump them together, seems to me that you did on one of your comments) is a great ideal in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work as advertised; not any more than pure capitalism, pure socialism or pure communism has worked as touted.

I think you’ll get a certain amount of agreement here about some of the principles behind classical liberalism, at least in the social realm. After all, we all want a minimum of government intrusion in our private lives. But we all accept a certain amount of it in order to insure some fairness for everybody.

Partly so in the economic realm as well. After all, it’s clear that the pure capitalism, with the financial markets being as close to unregulated in practice (non-enforcement of existing banking regulations is what I’m thinking here), is both dangerous and indeed increases the income inequality problem we have here in this country. Laissez-faire capitalism, which as I recall is a great ideal held by many Libertarians, is all fine and good until someone decides they are going to make faulty machinery, for instance, just to make a buck. There’s always the accompanying “bring ’em to court” suggestion by Libertarians as a remedy for that misbehavior. However, it’s kind of tough to do that with no regulatory framework in place. Try hiring a lawyer if you’re a poor person who has lost a limb to faulty machinery and has the bills piling up. No lawyer is going to take that case if there’s no regulatory or legal framework in place.

Free trade in concert with free-reign capitalism is another situation that lends itself to abuse quite handily. I’ve seen the effect in my own industry (electronics) of such an agenda. With rare exception, free flow of money and an unregulated commercial environment has allowed for jobs to be shifted to the next cheapest country in which to make products. First it was Japan, then Mexico, followed by Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and now it’s China. Who’s next?

With regard to health care, it seems that, based on my reading, a largely socialized health care system seems to yield the best results. I know people in Canada, and they don’t complain about it in the least – they like it and don’t understand why we in the U.S. favor a system that drives us into bankruptcy when we get seriously ill. In fact, it seems that the countries that have some form of a socialized health care system have the highest rates of life satisfaction. That goes for their government in general. These are successful countries, not only in terms of economics, but in terms of life satisfaction, and mental and physical well-being. Anders Breivik was a horrible anomaly in Norway. We have one of those at least once a year, sometimes more (and many more smaller shooting incidents by mentally ill people) here in the U.S. Caring for your people pays big social dividends, it seems to me.

I think it’s fair to point out that right now, the consumer is pretty much completely removed from the equation when it comes to health care. People either take what is offered from their employer, buy on their own (a nightmarish experience) or just do without. At least the ACA helps a few more people get some kind of insurance. While we know there are problems, I don’t think we can say with any certainty at this point that it will be an “epic disaster”.

One problem is that it still relies heavily on insurance companies. Another is that it is only a partial solution. As you point out, some people may pay more (although we really won’t know who and how much more until it goes into effect and has been running for a while).

By the way, we already have rationing of health care. I don’t go to a doctor unless a limb (or a piece of one) has been cut off or I have pain that is so bad I can’t stand it. I am self-rationing simply because I can’t afford health insurance (it’s not provided by my small employer). Quite frankly, the penalty I’ll have to pay is peanuts compared to the cost of real health insurance – as long as I stay healthy, of course. That sucks, but there is no way around it as far as I have been able to determine – so far. I take reasonable care of myself and am lucky enough not to require treatment of a chronic condition beyond diet and lifestyle regimes and nutritional supplements. However, I am at an age where things start to go wrong, and there are a couple of one-shot things that I do need done. While it would be nice if I could do them, the cost for me is prohibitive at this point.

I can’t speak for anyone else here, but apparently a large part of the population likes the idea of a government-run health insurance system such as Medicare. I think it should be phased in. However, we’d have to do a lot before doing so.

First, we have to spend a lot of time rooting out the massive corruption in the government. Get rid of the campaign finance system we have and go with modest publicly funded system. Get rid of the revolving door between government and industry. Embrace sensible regulation (and get rid of the politically motivated rules and regs). Restore the equal-time provision.

Then, do some realistic engineering of a government-run health insurance program. Keep in mind that in Canada, health insurance companies have not been put out of business. People still buy supplemental health insurance. This is perhaps one of the more sensible ways to do this; a government-run insurance program that takes care of basic and catastrophic needs, private insurance to take care of the rest.

I think we have to drop the idea of a pure-anything form of government and that as a result, some element of socialized medicine needs to be implemented. Sure, I like total freedom, but to use a ridiculous analogy, should I be allowed to run naked through the streets simply because it’s what I want to do? No. And Medical-Industrial complex should not be allowed to run roughshod over us simply because ti is profitable for them to do so.

Sorry for the length and rambling (ironically, I am ill as I write this), but there are a lot that I felt warranted some kind of response. Take it as you wish.

3. Frederick Bastiat says:

Oh, look, it has its little proggie defenders. You must pass for intelligent among this group.
    You hang out here a lot right? Yeah, I thought so.

zero

5. Frederick Bastiat says:

The only think you offer is ad hom. It’s a cesspool in here.

If you can be an adult for just a second, indulge me.

My concern with current health care system is price. I lay that at the feet of third party payer system (product of tax incentives) that removes (totally or partially) the consumer from price. Medicare has the same effect. The result is overutilization. Providers don’t have to compete on price. Consumers don’t shop around.

Another problem are the coverage mandates. In many states you have to purchase alcohol/drug rehab as part of major medical. Don’t drink or do drugs? It doesn’t matter. There are thousands of mandates like that at the state level. New Jersey has the most, which is why it’s health insurance is so high. Iowa has the least, which is why it has much lower health insurance prices.

Lastly, the state insurance cartels that state legislatures and governors created do not allow the individual to purchase health insurance across state lines. In Alabama that means that there are two insurance with one of those being all but a monopoly. There is very little competition and choice.

Those who think we have a market in health care don’t understand what a market requires. There are no feedbacks when the consumer is removed from cost. There is no discovery process. All firms, health care professionals, and consumers operate inside of a centrally planned structure the precludes and requires certain actions.

The answer is not to further remove people from cost. The only way to control costs in that type of system is to deny and delay (read: ration). This is especially true for specialists, elective surgeries and access to new drugs and certain high-tech equipment.

The new law is going to create new problems. Sure, some people will pay less (not saying much!) but others pay more. There will be far less options. The administration says you can keep exact same plan if you want, but that is a lie. Many people are already getting letters that they are not in compliance. ACA makes it illegal to get a high deductible plan. You’ll be forced on the exchanges. Your old health plan will not stay the same. You will either pay more or have less coverage. Moreover, your employer may be forced to drop you due to cost.

And I haven’t even addressed how many people have already been moved to part-time because of this law. Others will lose their jobs.

It’s going to be an epic disaster.

Respond to me like an adult or don’t respond.

6. cole3244 says:

most people know when they are drowning you obviously do not.

i have never watched someone go under for the last time but in this case i will watch with satisfaction and glee and shed nary a tear.

7. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Angry and vanishing.”

The last I checked authoritarianism in on the wane among the left. Sure, there is the Maddow crowd, but they aren’t growing. Libertarian (classical liberalism) is spreading fast from what I can see.

“Old white bigots?” Typical. It can’t argue economics, philosophy or ideas so it resorts to the race card. Your race card is maxed out. It doesn’t work anymore. That’s what happens when the little socialist cries wolf too many times.

You’ve got your proggie narrative. You can reduce liberty advocates to absurd caricature in order to demonize us if you wish, but most of the young aren’t buying your demagoguery.

Sorry to have disturbed you. I suspect that you are about to start your third installment of your thrice daily ritual of prostrating yourself on your govt. issued prayer mat in the general direction of D.C. By all means, carry on…

8. Monoceros Forth says:

I shouldn’t though. I’m spinning out the end of a long day in a poorish mood and I’m hurling pointless insults at morons. It’s like kicking a sick puppy.

9. Monoceros Forth says:

“You think you layed a glove on me?”

I think I might have laid one. The desperate attempt at equanimity with a second smiley is telling. But you do have a point. Orson Welles put it best: never touch shit, even with gloves. The gloves get shitty but the shit doesn’t get any glovier.

10. cole3244 says:

the rants of an angry & vanishing segment of society.

your desperation is palpable even over the net and i feel your pain but enjoy the smell of death soon to envelop your kin.

maybe the res would be an appropriate place to send the old white bigots to live out the rest of their pathetic lives, what an ironic ending for a group that thought so highly of their place in american society.

11. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Mean, ‘Please don’t hit me.” You think you layed a glove on me? The only thing I have to say to that is, well, :)

12. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Move to europe in a second.” You mean to Portugal, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Greece, Belgium, France or anyone of the other states that have already imploded or on the verge of it?

Did you notice that their standards of living are falling? Have you seen unemployment rates? Have you seen the debt levels? Have you not been reading what has been going on? Just look at what has happened to Spain and Portugal this year alone.

The U.S. has a lot of socialism and corporatism. It’s not that much different than europe, except the labor market isn’t nearly as rigid. It’s not like we are comparing opposite systems. They are all different branches stemming from the same collectivist ideological tree.

“Authoritarians like Franco and Pinochet.” Yes, Franco and Pinochet were authoritarians, especially on civil liberties. But that doesn’t mean that progressives aren’t authoritarian. You guys don’t believe in free trade and free associations to solve the problems of society. You believe in top-down govt. central planning measures. Well, you are nothing more than cattle in that system as the subjects (notice I didn’t say citizens) in all of the foregoing countries that I listed are finding out on their own hides.

13. Monoceros Forth says:

Ooh, the smiley makes its appearance! Two keystrokes that essentially mean, “Please don’t hit me.” A bit late for that, dear.

14. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Solipsistic.” Are you just throwing out words to make yourself feel intelligent. Don’t be so hard on yourself. I doubt most of the govt. schooled rubes on this message board new that Frederick Bastiat was probably the foremost defender of classical liberalism in mid-19th century europe. Take heart for you are ignorant, but you are far from alone–at least not here :)

You are capable of learning? That’s nice.

I’ll lend you my set of Harvard Classics, if you will just ‘moooo ve’ along. BTW. It’s really a stretch to imagine you feel sorry for anyone, but your solipsistic, selfish sorry ass self.

17. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Tea hysteria.” Oh, that’s proggie speak for “me no agree with you.” I see.

I wasn’t aware that rule of law was primitive. I learn something new everyday from authoritarian progressives.

18. Monoceros Forth says:

“Oh, look, the economically illiterate socialist thinks that intelligence is distributed according to geography.”

Hell, it’s not my fault the South got to be run by a pack of Bible-thumping yahoos. I’m just pointing it out.

FAIL

20. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Likes my Wiki?” You think I had to look up who I chose as my screenname? Ha! I was reading his books in high school. It’s tragic that you weren’t exposed to the great classical liberals. It explains why you are so thoroughly brainwashed at present. You’ve got the mindset of cattle. It’s sad to me.

Sad thing about Obama is that his speeches are always three steps ahead of his lies.

22. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Cons afraid of change?” You are the establishment drone. The new system just takes us further down the Road to Serfdom. We already had a state managed care system before this law.

I’m the one afraid of change? I want to allow young people to opt-out of S.S. and Medicare and means test for everyone else. That’s real change.

I want to get rid of all subsidies, mandates, collectivized risk, govt. guarantees, public-private partnerships, and regulations designed to create barriers to entry. You want to keep them so long as they are for progressive ends.

I want to scrap the current monetary system that has resulted in undue wealth concentration. I think the Federal Reserve, fiat paper currency, and rigged interest rates only benefit finance. You want to keep the current system in place.

I want all foreign-aid to end and to close down most if not all foreign bases around the world.

I want to end many govt. departments, including Dept.’s of Interior, Education, Energy, Commerce, HUD and a few others. I would move their few legitimate functions into other departments.

I’m the one that’s afraid of change? Your “change” is not real change. It’s just window dressing on the same New Deal/Progressive era/Great Society construct that both parties have played around the edges of for many decades.

sigh :-)

Listen up troll, messing with Monoceros will only make you look more of a drooling fool than usual.

25. cole3244 says:

enough said.

Thanks for the tea hysteria….very funny. Speaking of primitive urges: piss off.

27. Frederick Bastiat says:

Oh, look, the economically illiterate socialist thinks that intelligence is distributed according to geography. Socialists are so cute at that stage of mental development.

Maybe you are from one of those repositories of intellectualism in D.C., Chicago and Detroit. I read just the other day that over half of the adult population of Detroit is functionally illiterate. Chicago is almost as bad. I forget, didn’t proggies control Detroit with an iron grip for nearly half a century?

Your ideas fail and you aren’t that smart. It would be best if you leave the thinking to those of us with ability.

Indeed.

“It’s the orifice at the opposite end” AH, that’s why you see only s**t ahead.

But a terrible mind is a good thing to waste.

31. cole3244 says:

you lived in the south and you still live in the past just like all the cons who are afraid of change and what the future might hold.

i am attracted to rainbows while your ilk still worship the white sheet brand of activism, be gone because your kind are on the short lease to extinction and the sooner the better.

32. Jorge_C1970 says:

Oh, I know Bestia… It’s what we call dumb people in Spanish. Hell yeah, you are absolutely right about you been a bestia!

33. Monoceros Forth says:

“I lived in the South for decades.”

There’s a shocker.

34. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Southern D’s left D party.” No, many of them stayed. I lived in the South for decades. For some reason, proggies don’t grasp that there are a lot of racists in the D party, too. Proggies only make up 20% of your party. Get your noggin’ around that.

“Anti-intellectual?” This coming from a person who doesn’t understand economics, nor do you have any intellectual curiosity on the matter. You haven’t read history from competent, economically literate historians. You imagine that you got an education at govt. school when you only received schooling. It’s sad that you don’t grasp the difference.

“Fascist.” Again, Mussolini correctly identified the New Deal as fascistic, especially the First New Deal (1933-1936). Look up the cartelization schemes that your New Deal braintrust. Look up what lead New Dealer Rex Tugwell said about the so-called Italian Experiment (fascism). He said it was the most brilliant piece of social organization that he had ever seen. He was jealous.

Fascism is a type of state collectivism. They thought in terms of service to the state and imagined that society and economy could be managed to good effect by the government. Sound familiar?

35. Monoceros Forth says:

It’s just so pathetic, isn’t it? I mean, the whole idea of “European style socialism” as an insult! Who else but someone living in a former slave-holding shithole would think that was bad?

36. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Yawn.” It’s not your mouth that the govt. wants open. They want that closed unless you are babbling the establishment line (you shouldn’t have a problem there). However, I don’t think you are going to like the ACA when you see its full effects. It’s the orifice at the opposite end that will have to be spread wide in order for you to take what the govt. is going to thrust into you.

37. Monoceros Forth says:

“I am referring to social democracy or european style socialism.”

I’d love that! Dammit. If I weren’t a paycheck away from bankruptcy all the time I’d move to Europe in a second. If nothing else the food would be better.

I really wouldn’t pretend to be an opponent of authoritarianism if I were you, sparky. Declaiming against socialism tends to be something that authoritarians love to do. Just ask Generalissimos Franco and Pinochet.

38. pappyvet says:

Fine. Then lets vote on a clean continuing resolution to fund the federal government and end the shutdown then get right to it.

39. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Why does Bastiate hate rule of law.” It’s Bastiat, and that is the name of one of the great classical liberals (not to be confused with modern liberals who are in fact very illiberal) in the history of western civilization. Your govt. school didn’t educate you.

I love rule of law. That’s why I hate it when R and D presidents abuse executive orders which are not to be used to make law. They concern administrative functions, troop movements and clarifications if they are to be used legitimately.

When a president changes a law 15-times (and counting) he is not acting within the law. He is trying to legislate, which is the function of congress. The executive is only to enforce law, not make it or amend it. Separation of powers is crucial if a republic is to avoid devolving into dictatorship.

I think you want a king. It’s a very primitive urge. Do seek help.

Yawn

41. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Get everything they want, especially by my definition of socialism.” I am referring to social democracy or european style socialism.

Look up Norman Thomas and Socialist Party USA. Read through the party planks. Mr. Thomas is one of Jon Stewart’s heroes. Thomas is famous for saying that they (socialists) would achiever every plank of the socialist party platform under the banner of liberalism. Tragically, he was proven right.

The term liberalism was turned on its head by authoritarian progressives at the turn of the last century. They are peddling top-down socialism. You are nothing more than cattle in this system. You have been conned by concealing vocabulary.

42. cole3244 says:

i’ll try and educate a non intellectual on just one of your comments.
    those southern dems left the dem party and are now gopers not unlike yourself, another words stupid, bigoted, and anti intellectual, did i miss anything fascist.

43. pappyvet says:

It is difficult to negotiate with someone who believes that I am a socialist in a country where 20% of the people own a remarkable 89% of the Nation’s wealth leaving only 11% of the wealth for the bottom 80% (wage and salary workers). So if there is socialism afoot,I suggest you look up. As far as willingness to compromise, sure! Lets pass the budget and then we can talk about anything you like.

Do go on o’, condescending one. Likes your Wikipedia I see.

45. Monoceros Forth says:

I’d love for socialists to get everything they want, to be honest, especially by your definition of socialism. You do understand that in the civilized world “socialist” is not an insult? Just because you live in some right-wing ideological dungheap doesn’t mean the rest of the world has to call that dungheap a paradise.

46. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Fascist sympathizers.” LOL! The economics practiced by your party is Keynesianism. The American popularizer of that school of thought was J.K. Galbraith. The latter had a lot of nice things to say about fascist economic organization.

And for that matter, Mussolini was quoted in an issue of the N.Y. Times in 1933 praising the New Deal as consistent with fascist organization. Go ahead and look that up.

“People of color not have right to vote.” It was southern democrats who fought against that the last I checked.

“Fascist mind.” You mean fascist that think that society and economy can be directed by govt. central planners to good effect? I would say that they have that in common with you, but that would be a low blow.

Run along and play with your peer group in the street.

47. Frederick Bastiat says:

That’s quite a refutation. I would say you are a new breed of ignorance, but your ignorance is all too common. The govt. schools didn’t do you any favors.

48. cole3244 says:

interesting take from a fascist sympathizer.

obama won a mandate in 2012 during the election although it doesn’t surprise me that you would think that obama has to compromise since cons don’t even believe people of color have the right to vote so an election supported by the non white citizens is obviously voided by the fascist mind.

proving once again that a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

49. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Bastiat is a Republican drone.” It does amuse me when proggies show their shallow education.

Frederick Bastiat is a name from history that any education person would immediately recognize. He was the foremost defender of classical liberalism during the mid-19th century in western europe.

“Lacking sense of humor.” Oh, it thought it made funny?

I think D’s and establishment R’s will have their own death panels in a few years time. Libertarians don’t have the stank of both party establishments.

What is very amusing to me is that you think you are not establishmentarian. Liebowitz, I mean Stewart, suffers from the same delusion.

50. Jorge_C1970 says:

This is amazing; A NEW BREED OF MORON!

51. pappyvet says:

Absolutely !

Why can’t Bastiatie understand the rule of law? Why does Bastatie hate the Constitution so much. Why is Bastiatie a paid troll?

“you people” = troll

Spare me. Bastiat is a Republican drone lacking a sense of humor. No profile troll

55. Frederick Bastiat says:

“Obama talk to Iranian leaders.” That’s because U.S. govt. and west has put a stranglehold on the Iranian people. They are suffering because the U.S. foreign policy in the M.E. is controlled by Israel. They don’t like any govt. that isn’t a puppet of the west.

The new Iranian president is trying to bend over backward to Zionist groups within Israeli and U.S. government. I hardly call that intransigent and hard-line.

I call an administration that refused to compromise on anything about ACA intransigent and hard line. Laws can be amended and changed. They aren’t set in stone.

The current wanna-be king that occupies the presidency has illegally changed ACA 15 times without congress changing the law. The president, who allegedly understands the constitution must know that the executive is not supposed to make law, it is to enforce/execute it.

Why can’t proggies understand rule of law? Why do they hate the Constitution so much?

56. Frederick Bastiat says:

It’s as if you people think that compromise means socialists get everything they want.

Why has the president illegally changed this law by executive fiat 15 times already? Doesn’t he know that congress is supposed to make and amend law. Does he think he is a king? Do you want a king.

Spare me your strawman about “no legitimately elected Democrat.” I will concede that they are all economically illiterate statist drones, but that doesn’t mean that they didn’t legitimately win the presidency. That’s not the point though. The point is why won’t the president and his party compromise? Why won’t the president follow the constitution and stop issuing changes/exemptions to the law by executive decree? Why can’t proggies grasp the concept of rule of law, not rule of men?

57. Frederick Bastiat says:

Spare me. Stewart is an establishment drone.

This law is garbage and there was never any compromise. Reid refuses to compromise. The White House refuses to compromise.

The president has implicitly admitted that many of the criticisms of the law are legitimate given that he has unconstitutionally changed the ACA 15 times by executive decree. The executive is not supposed to make law. It is supposed to execute/enforce law. Evidently, this is too much for proggies to digest.

If Stewart wants to see hard-line intransigency he needs to look no further than his warped ideology. It brooks no dissent.

Who knew? The Republicans are the death panels.

59. chris10858 says:

As I have long said… Prez Obama and other Dems in DC keep falling under the mistaken idea that if they treat the Republicans fairly and with good faith, the Repubs will reciprocate. That just isn’t reality. This is all out war and Repubs are willing to use every dirty trick in their arsenal. Dems have to grow a pair and learn how to fight back.

As ever, the core of the real GOP objection isn’t that Obama won’t talk to them.

It’s that he and Biden won’t resign immediately so Boehner can assume the Presidency. According to the Republicans, there’s no such thing as a legitimately elected Democratic president.

61. fletcher says:

Saying that Obama can talk with Iranian leaders and not Republicans is just another way for the Republican right to pander to their base by reinforcing their claim Obama is a Muslim (despite earlier trying to tie Obama to the minister of the Protestant Christian church Obama once attended). Some Republican operative probably thought he was being so clever. But the unintended consequences may be that some will think that if Iran is easier to talk to than Republicans that maybe Republicans should replace Iran on Dubya’s Axis of Evil.

62. silas1898 says:

Obama’s jaw keeps getting in the way of their fist.

63. HeartlandLiberal says:

And keep in mind, the GOP is engaging in this kamikaze mission in
    order to save Americans from being able to buy health care insurance, in
    a program designed to keep that insurance in the private health
    insurance market. A plan originally conceived and advocated by the
    Heritage Foundation, one of the premier Right Wing conservative think
    tanks. The same program passed into law in Mass. when Romney was
    governor there.

They are waging a scorched earth war on government so that literally
    tens of millions of Americans will continue to be unable to have
    adequate insurance to help them have adequate access to health care.

64. pappyvet says:

The President has never been the problem. The myth that he has not “reached out” is just that.
    The wingnuts idea of reaching out after so many have the idea of no compromise is for the President to reach out and do as they say.