Anti-Obama protesters in Arizona call President Obama a “negro”

Conservatives protesting President Obama’s visit to Arizona today referred to the President as a “half-white Muslim,” a “47% Negro,” and shouted “Bye bye black sheep!”

obama-figure-arizona-heckle

The Arizona Republic has more:

Deanna Bartram, a 17-year-old University of Arizona student from Black Canyon City, lashed out at people who call her racist for not supporting Obama. She believes Obama supporters use the “race card” against her because they disagree with her political message.

“Obama is ruining American values. He is ruining the Constitution. He needs to go back to where he came from because obviously, he is a liar,” she said. “I am not racist. I am part Indian. Obama’s half Black, half White.”

According to the Washington Post, one protesters held a sign reading ““Impeach the Half-White Muslim!”

Another protester yelled “he’s 47% negro!”

And another shouted the “bye bye black sheep” comment.

Arizona has a growing record of being one of the most racist, and extreme, states in the US.  Here are a few of the posts we’ve done in recent years about that state:

Arizona will identify immigrants who have crossed the border illegally by their shoes.
Arizona Medicaid cuts threaten the lives of 98 people in need of transplants.
Arizona to ban Mexican-American studies & English teachers with heavy accents
Arizona legislature demands immigrants and President of the United States verify their status
Then there’s Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Arizona state senator points loaded gun at journalist.
Arizona is also the state in which Gabby Giffords was nearly assassinated.

34 Responses to “Anti-Obama protesters in Arizona call President Obama a “negro””

1. DONT FALL FOR THE BS. says:

ALLLLLL, MANIPULATION!!!!!
    BLACK, WHITE AND HISPANIC NEED TO STICK TOGETHER IN ORDER TO FIGHT THIS EVIL.
    WATCH WHAT YOU SAY. YOURE BEING WATCHED.

2. Ybeth See says:

We can’t blame people for acting that way.
    boat prop

3. BillFromDover says:

Such a fine, fine display of self-avowed, white Christians… yes?

4. mike31c says:

Well to be fair, I call these bigots “Cracker asshole”

5. ArthurH says:

One of the other ironies in Arizona is that in 1964, when Arizona’s Sen. Barry Goldwater was running for president, he tried to explain his opposition to the Civil Rights Act on grounds that a person should have the right to deny access to his property anyone he deems not worthy. To show that such exclusion wasn’t strictly about blacks, he described a person refusing to rent an apartment to an Irish person. In his description he dredged up every derogatory characterization of the Irish (drunks, prone to fighting, etc.). Later in the week he apologized to the Irish for his description. That Obama’s white half is Irish makes the protests in Arizona doubly ironic/

6. ArthurH says:

Actually the term Native American Casinos was coined by the Casino Journal trade publication as the term Indian Casino could imply it was owned by folks from New Delhi or Mumbai. And the trade publication named Native American Casino is owned by a tribe based in Washington State but published in Orange County, Calif. Just to set the record straight.

7. BillFromPA says:

It’s actually refreshing to see these troglodytes just drop the pretense and let thier racism shine. Wingnuts have been playing Brinksmanship with race since Obama emerged as a viable candidate, they so want to shout N****r from the rooftops that it’s palpable.

8. Butch1 says:

Or one could use indigenous people.

9. Butch1 says:

He is a liar and by signing into law the NDAA he is “ruining the Constitution, in my opinion. You will note that it has the part about Indefinite Detention in it? His expansion of his powers with an Assassination Council where he also signs off on the murders of citizens of this country without even charging them demonstrates his ability to ignore our Constitutional rights and dismiss them with drone missiles. Perhaps he is acting more and more like a dictator with these new powers and that is debatable. You may also debate whether he is ruining American values or not, but I think two out of three is a concern we do need to address without the need to bring in his lineage.

10. mark_in_toronto says:

The more intelligent Americans push for progressive ideas, the more concentrated and toxic these pockets of non-intelligent whiners will become. I imagine they’ll eventually be pushed into one area (probably Texas or Florida – southward ho!) and will implode on themselves . . . much like the GOP has already done. Every little snippet of news like this pushes them closer to their demise. It just can’t happen soon enough for me.

Obama has done some wonderful things as president, but when it comes to keeping the status-quo of the corporate/banking/war-for-profit/plutocracy, he is not the problem. The problem is a system that has failed in every way except to perpetuate itself. Why people would blame ANY current president for what is happening is just misguided and plain stupid . . . and they are.

11. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

First Americans is used in textbooks.

12. I’ve known Obama is half white trash, but I never held it against him. I don’t care about heredity. What should count in this country is “not who he is, but what he can do” — Benjamin Franklin

13. I agree that most Amerinds consider themselves part of a tribe, not as “Native Americans”. Because we really don’t have a term for it, “American Indians” remains an inadequate description. “First Nations” seems to work in Canada.

As an amateur genealogist, I’ve come across tons of stories like this in the families of people I’ve done research on. And it isn’t very often they pan out true. Nobody likes to think they just come from a long line of German farmers, but more often than not, something like that is simply the case.

I’m still trying to prove out one friend’s line. Her mother swears that they have a lot of Native American heritage, but the closest I can find actual documentation of back to the 1700s is a distant cousin outside of their main line. Which very well could be the source of the story. Myself, my 5x great grandmother was Penobscot, so that makes me, what, 1/128th Native American? ;)

There are a few really good DNA testing companies now that offer basic ethnicity information for about 100 dollars.

15. emjayay says:

I think Oprah for example thought she was part Cherokee and had African roots with some famous noble warrior group or something but genetic testing showed both were wrong.

16. emjayay says:

Yeah, same here. I think it’s just traditional and shorter. 2 syllables vs. 6.

17. emjayay says:

These are some of the same stuff I see repeatedly in YahooNews comments and elsewhere reactionaries comment. Often “dictator” appears also. I don’t get it. Seriously, does anyone here have any idea where any of these accusations come from? I know, ignorance and racism in general, but what is the basis of all the specific accusations?

In the real world of course the two presidents in recent times who really did shred the Constituion were Reagan and Bush II.

Most of the native Americans in the northeast didn’t identify as such until they realized there were casinos involved.

Percentage of Americans with known Native American heritage is around 1.5%. Percentage of Americans with known Irish heritage is somewhere around 10%. Percentage of people who feel it necessary to say “I’m not a racist.”, about 98% racist.

20. Thom Allen says:

Odd. Most of the Native Americans I know are in the northeast. But, now that you mention it, the two who I can think of who live in the southwest did call themselves “Indians.” Though one says, “I’m a Injun” just to get a reaction.

I don’t care if they vote, but it terrifies me that they reproduce.

I live in an area with a lot of “native Americans” — and they call themselves “Indians.” Go figure.

23. Thom Allen says:

“I am not racist. I am part Indian. Obama’s half Black, half White.” Part Indian? Where were your ancestors from? Bangalore? Bombay? Delhi? Calcutta?

The Native Americans I know usually don’t say “Indian” or “Native American” much. They say, “I’m a Cree,” or “My grandmother was Sioux.” Bartram may belong to the Valley Girl Palinista tribe. Bachmann branch.

24. kurtsteinbach says:

Has anyone else noticed that all the people in America saying there is no
    discrimination anymore are the very people who keep proving that it is
    indeed alive and well and living wherever the GOP is in America ….

I guess the problem is not confined to nuts in Florida. It’s in Texas,
    Louisiana, and Arizona. Maybe it’s the South? South, Southeast,
    Southwest, the Heartland, the Bible Belt, oh yeah! Maybe it’s something
    in the water?

Reading this and considering, it doesn’t surprise me when, during the dash across Arizona my wife and I made this past Sunday to get married and back home on Monday, we kept seeing great big billboards for Ron Paul 2012.

26. cole3244 says:

these people are not racist they just act like one.

27. Larry says:

I lived in Arizona for a few years, and in addition to being home a lot of old white retirees (read racists), it’s got a very ‘live and let die’ attitude. There’s very little sense of community, outside places like Tempe and Tucson. They’re trying to make an Ayn Rand paradise, where survival of the strongest is a celebrated virtue. If you’re white, have money and no personal challenges, you do well in Arizona. Otherwise, not so much. I’m back in California now, and am many times more successful personally and professionally, and I attribute much of that to culture and opportunity – both are things that are set by the community.

28. Tony Mac says:

This is the face of the Republican Party and it’s message to all Americans…if you ain’t white like us…then get the hell out of Amerika…Make them own it…damn cowards…everyone of them…

29. Dedicated to my native state’s inhabitants, who possess
    neither the brains nor the gonads of a gnat. My sincere
    apologies to the Gnat Kingdom

30. schwarzerhund says:

It must be the heat. Same goes for Florida.

Except for the Grand Canyon and maybe Sedona, Arizona creeps me out.

32. TheOriginalLiz says:

universal franchise is a mistake – some people are just too f*cking stupid to be allowed to vote

33. Monoceros Forth says:

She’s probably “part Indian” in the way that three-fourths of the white American population claims to be “part Irish” when St. Patrick’s Day rolls around.

34. eproduces says:

So, i can only assume that Ms. Bartram would have no problem if someone told her she just needs to go back to the “Res”, where she came from.