It’s a horrible video. A woman was apparently waiting in line to go watch the Texas Senate debate and vote on new restrictions against abortion, and a state trooper searched her and confiscated her Maxi-Pads as being too dangerous to bring into the state senate visitors gallery.  He then started showing them to other people.

But guns are permitted into the state capitol.  Just not Maxi-Pads.

At the State Capitol here, a legal concealed gun is the equivalent of an E-ZPass.

To enter the sand-colored building, most people — schoolchildren on field trips, out-of-state tourists — must wait in line to pass through a security area outfitted with metal detectors and scanners. But those with state licenses to carry concealed firearms can enter in a matter of seconds. They simply hand their permit to a state trooper, who verifies its authenticity. No metal detector needed.

They also reportedly took away her diabetic supplies.  The woman, in the video below shortly after the incident, is in tears.

state-troopers-texas-abortion-maxi-pads

“In front of, all of these male troopers took away my maxi-pads, and made a huge deal out of flashing them around and showing… and then saying that I couldn’t go into the gallery, I couldn’t take maxi-pads into the gallery. I’ve never been… I’ve never been so humiliated in my life.”

291 Responses to “Texas state capitol trooper confiscates woman’s Maxi-Pad, but guns are okay (video)”

1. kcwookie says:

Unfortunately Jedi, I disagree. Nothing much will change in 14 because the system has been engineered to protect the already elected. I doubt you will see any significant change in Texas. To get the changes that are needed and wanted, it will take much more than most in this country are willing to do.

2. Sweet Crabby says:

Let me clear up a few things. One, there were no jars of urine or feces found. If there had been, the troopers would have known about it, and I spent a lot of time going around to the security checkpoints to ask the troopers there if they’d found any jars of body fluids. There were none. There were none in the secured area of the troopers space in the Capitol building. DPS put out an information release about these items, but no items exist and DPS has yet to explain the release, remove it from their page, or amend/correct it. I suspect that release was politically motivated, because with one exception, the troopers I met in the three weeks I was there were all very professional, very careful to remain separated from the issues being discussed, and careful, just careful. I learned that one box of tampons had been surrendered at the main entrance to the building. The troopers at the doors to the Senate chamber were forcing women to surrender the two or three tampons or pads that women normally carry when menstruating, not big boxes of projectile weapons.

Now, about this video: When the woman came into the room, I thought she’d been physically injured, perhaps fallen onto the marble floors. It seemed at first that she couldn’t breathe. We got her calmed down a bit, seated on a couch, and I motioned to have someone get video of her statement, which is why we see it now. This sweet, kind, older lady was humiliated by this experience but she agreed in advance to have her story distributed. When she left the line, she was escorted to the elevator by another trooper who told her to leave the building. She came to us instead. Shortly afterwards we were told that a Senator had spoken to the DPS commander and that no more surrender of personal sanitary products would occur.

Shortly before this forced surrender by the older lady, a younger woman had been told that after standing in line for six hours – SIX HOURS – she would either have to surrender her three Tampax Pearl tampons in their sealed packages, or step out of the line and forfeit her place. She was forced to step away from the space she thought she’d secured in the gallery.

I use the word surrender deliberately. These were not items that were confiscated like the box of tampons taken at the entrance to the building. These were obviously personal, obviously medical, and obviously necessary. For troopers to assume that they had the right to force women to surrender anything at all is indicative of a huge problem. I am thankful for the women who told their stories, and especially to this lady, for sharing her story with us all.

In Texas, what women do is presumed to be under the control of men. They assume. And we all know what happens to those who assume.

3. george jetson says:

Krafty Karl Rove got Bill Clements elected in the late seventies and again in the eighties. First Republican governor in 100 years.

As election day neared and things were looking dicey for Clements, Krafty Karl discovered a listening device hidden behind a painting in his office!

He blamed it on the opposition, Clements pulled out a squeaker, and the DPS later determined that Rove had planted the bug himself.

Karl also had a hand in unseating Jim Hightower as Ag. commissioner (Yeah, THAT Jim Hightower!) and replacing him with…… Rick Perry!!

So basically, everything that is wrong with Texas can be traced back to…..

4. Jkiel says:

Heh — good one — but you are, of course, only reinforcing my point ;)

5. grandpamike says:

While I appreciate your points, and Texas was a blue state many years ago, but unfortunately it is Red now. As far as registered voters not voting, that is a problem in all states, and restricting, or trying to restrict voters from not only registering to vote, but enacting laws that restrict them even if registered is another problem, but if you noticed, these were all done in states that have Republican legislatures. Now, obviously I am not a female, but have followed the legislation passed in many, again, Republican controlled legislatures, that severely restrict females from making decisions on their own and also passing draconian laws restricting that right, so I find it hard to understand how any woman or minority, or LBGT, can actually vote Republican, yet they do.

Half the Texas legislature isn’t sentient. They don’t need a criteria that complex.

7. Jkiel says:

“Life” has far too broad of a definition to use in this situation. Is it “alive”? Sure, just as a plant, bacteria, or any other organism, is “alive”.

Tell me, is this life sentient at conception?

8. KingCranky says:

I’d suggest tick, a bloodsucking parasite whose only positive function is serving as food for birds.

9. Paula Alderson Beard says:

She was wearing an orange shirt, part of the opposition to the restrictive abortion bill. That is the only reason this shameful behavior happened.

10. Paula Alderson Beard says:

grandpamike, I appreciate your comments, and to the point, yes, these people were elected to office by those that went to the polls. My point is that low voter turnout is the cause of this result. Many Texans register and don’t vote, partly because we have had the oppressive GOP in power for so long, people don’t see the point in voting. What I am trying to do is convince those that aren’t registered or don’t vote that we CAN get these people out of office with our votes. We are working hard to get the word out about the upcoming elections and you simply can’t say that a majority of Texans approve of what happened in these Special Sessions. The whole state of Texas IS NOT regressive in nature and if you watched any of the news coverage of the thousands of women AND men that went to Austin to voice their opinions about abortion regulation, you would agree with me that the tide is turning.

11. jedi woman says:

At what point do we stop believing that story without asking questions. Who stood to gain from that? Not the women. The pro-choice side was gaining popularity so why risk it?

DPS, on the other hand, had PLENTY to gain by planting a story like this with a friendly reporter who they KNEW would report it as if it were fact.

Viet Nam taught conservatives a very powerful lesson: they had to control the press if they were ever to gain control over public opinion. It is NO secret that you cannot have a healthy democracy without a free press. So the right and its corporate backers went about buying up every media outlet from coast to coast. They packed the FCC and changed the prohibitions against monopolies.

The press once stood as the watchdog which monitored the abuse by powerful corporations. The press was once the “eyes and ears” of the voters and the consumer. NO MORE. Now the press and owned and operated by the very corporations the press was supposed to be watchful of.

Any person with a modicum of respect for our civil liberties should be very very concerned about our democracy, our rights, and the so-called press. We are no longer a people informed – we are a people dumbed down and entertained.

We are encouraged by our corporate masters to be at each other’s throats. Those with whom we have most in common – our neighbors – we have been skillfully conned into seeing as our enemies.

And the real enemy – these corporations that control our bodies, pollute our water and our air – are NEVER held accountable. Ever wonder why?

12. jedi woman says:

Where is the proof? That’s been used as an EXCUSE by DPS. I dunno, Shouldn’t REAL reporters put DPS’s feet to the fire and asked: When was this jar of feces confiscated?? From whom? Where is the record of arrest? Why haven’t we heard from the arresting officer? The protester who allegedly brought in the jar of shit?

I’ve said it before: It is not uncommon for law enforcement to act heavy handedly and then plant a rumor to justify their unacceptable/unprofessional behavior. AS USUAL – the press just accepts the explanation as if it were true. And it is common practice for the right to discredit their opponents when public sentiment begins to shift against them.

Why was this cock-and-bull story accepted on its face?? What did any of these women stand to gain from bringing in a jar of shit?? On the other hand, DPS stood to gain plenty from a claim such as that.

The Republicans were getting very worried that Wendy Davis was enjoying nationwide popularity. As were the TX pro-choice women showing up and demanding answers. The anti-abortion crowd was starting to look like the laughable fringe lunatics they are in the eyes of the public.

I’m sorry to be disrespectful to my pro-choice Republican brothers & sisters – but the right is FAMOUS for its use of dirty tricks. The jar of feces sounds very Karl Rove to me.

13. jedi woman says:

I wish I could call it paranoia but, having defended people who’ve been arrested while peacefully protesting, I put nothing past conservative law enforcement today. Since 9/11, some cops assume they’re doing the right thing even if they frame innocent people bc they are “saving lives”. That’s an obvious fallacy and very dangerous to our individual liberties.

14. jedi woman says:

If we wait a few years these racist inbeeds will die out. In 40 years or so, whites will be in the minority. Latinos can’t do any worse than we have.

15. jedi woman says:

That shows how little you know about Jane Goodall. She was unapologetically PROCHOICE and believed that the root cause of environmental degradation is overpopulation.

Note to RWNJ: I know it isn’t in your nature – but, next time to your homework before citing someone you know NOTHING about. It is a very unwise move to cite a scientist when virtually NONE share your political ideology. Unfortunately for you, I meticulously fact check people on the right bc lying is a national past time for conservatives.

16. jedi woman says:

That’s why the right hates science. It blows away all of their myths.

17. jedi woman says:

No, I am using SCIENCE. ELementary biology. A fertilized egg is a fertilized egg – whether it be fowl or human being. The point is that we never consider any fertilized egg as the complete being – bird or fowl – until it comes to telling women what to do with their bodies. Then, SUDDENLY – a zygote = a baby. It doesn’t. It is a potential human being – NOT a human being.

18. jedi woman says:

In some instances it’s been done, in a way. Consider those men who knowingly go out to infect their sex partners with HIV. It’s only gotten by bc of homophobia and the misconception that HIV is a “gay” disease.

19. jedi woman says:

Considering that Obama is the anti-Christ, gay, Muslim-brotherhood-spy, radical-left-wing-Methodist, pinko-communist, Hurricane-Sandy causin’, gubbermint lovin, Jesus-hatin’, librul, abotion-lovin’, baby killin’, spawn-of-the-devil, Gosnell-supporter, dontcha think he could pull this off??

20. jedi woman says:

Or eating shellfish.

21. jedi woman says:

She isn’t exactly a young woman. Women my age were not all raised to love their bodies. Please keep that in mind.

22. jedi woman says:

Her age was my initial question but… It is rare, but some women don’t stop menstruating until their mid-fifties. Hormones can cause menstrual-like bleeding. But then, I thought: she could look older than she is OR she was too embarrassed to say her pads were for incontinence and used her period as a way to cover for her incontinence.

23. jedi woman says:

At least you are open minded – typical of a left wing man.

24. jedi woman says:

Actually – the tie to abortion is a stretch. Nerve damage leading to incontinence is common to people with diabetes.

25. jedi woman says:

Pun intended?

26. jedi woman says:

My momma used to say: “She who rocks the cradle rules the world.”

Yo! Conservative, anti-choice, nutters: Women are watching and 2014 is coming!!

27. jedi woman says:

Ahhhh, Texas!! Where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous!

28. jedi woman says:

Even if so – hers were still in their wrappers. So your point is?????

29. BillFromDover says:

I had to look up incontinence.

I believe my ignorant comment is an example of a blatant case for why men – especially politicians – have no business regulating the bodies of woman.

I stand corrected.

30. stormintheheartofthesun says:

All I need is a pump and a whole bunch of tampons. TAMPON CANNON IS A GO. THEY WILL FEAR THE RAIN OF COTTONY FEMININITY. …also, some fake blood might be called for.

31. Laura says:

Many woman and men are incontinent and find it quite embarrassing as it points out their utter lack of control over certain normal functions that they previously had no problems with. I used to work with the elderly and it is one of the most embarrassing things for them to face.

That’s why there needs to be science….

DPS did actually report that in their official press release, but offered no actual evidence of it. And I haven’t heard anyone actually say they saw someone, or heard of someone intending to try and cause such an incident.

34. Sheareader says:

You pulled this threat of urine/feces out of your ass.

35. devans00 says:

This situation is so maddening. The infantilization of grown Women makes my stomach turn.

It puts adult females on the same level as dogs and leash laws.

36. Zorba says:

Umm, another thing, though, Lin. You do realize that there is a profound difference between jars of urine/feces, and maxipads, tampons, and diabetic supplies? It didn’t happen to you. Maybe you would have been embarrassed, or maybe you would have been totally humiliated. You cannot really know. And, BTW, do you believe that tampons and maxipads are more of a danger to the legislators than concealed handguns, which people were allowed to bring in? Because, if you do think so, then very frankly, you are a total right-wing lunatic.

37. Lin says:

Umm two things though. One, it doesn’t say anything about anyone being a democrat or republican. Two, people were coming with maxipads, tampons and jars of urine/feces to throw on the legislators so it wasn’t just a random thing. I would be very embarrassed if it happened to me but I’m just sayin a little perspective helps…

38. Jafafa Hots says:

If you can put up with a grouch, ’cause the news these days makes me moody.

39. pszymeczek says:

We keep regular soda – generally ginger ale – at home for that, too.

Yep, Texas manhood cowering before the mighty tampon.

You really, really, really like that feces and urine part, don’t ya sweet pea.

42. Deirdre says:

Not all women use pads for the advertised reason, Bill…after a certain age many use them for incontinence, especially those who didn’t abort their pregnancies.

Lions and Tigers and jars of FECES oh my!

OMG you are funny. Obama’s war on pads.

It does, if not that then the mixed fibers would

Yep

Tarts are a way of life in texas

48. QuitBeingIdiotsNotAllsReal says:

You people thought this was a real story? lol

49. BillFromDover says:

Oh, c’mon… how long is it gonna take for (Christian) women to re-learn their place in a man’s world?

50. BillFromDover says:

” it is yours not theirs.”

Yeah? Convince them!

51. BillFromDover says:

Doesn’t the Christian Bible say something about stoning her to death for attempting to pull this bullshit while unclean?

52. BillFromDover says:

And the glue was something called George Bush?

53. BillFromDover says:

Not to mention that she looks like she passed by menopause at least 20 years ago.

Is this something from the Onion?

54. Abra says:

Oh, piss off. You know who’s making this state stupid? Fucking straight, godbothering, white, conservative men.

Place used to belong to Mexico anyway.

55. BillFromDover says:

Are Pop Tarts forbidden there, also?

56. Abra says:

Hey. I live in Texas. The big cities are not in the least as you describe.

Cut that shit out. Our lawmakers are not truly representative of us. We got gerrymandered like you wouldn’t believe back in ummm 2003? 2005?

Go look up a map of Texas voting districts. There’s one that stretches across a couple of counties.

TL;DR: not our fucking fault, and something like 48% of this state voted blue last election, so shut the fuck up please.

57. BillFromDover says:

“You don’t want your beautiful state laughed at by the whole nation, do you???”

Way too late!

58. Abra says:

We’re taught from the day we can speak that being a woman is a horrible, shameful thing.

I’m not going to get into a whole rant here, but seriously, men don’t have periods. We do. (apologies to the trans* out there*) And instead of it being just a normal thing, it’s this horrible nightmare of shame and secrecy.

I’m not afraid to bleed, either, mister knowitall, but I’m guessing you are either male or had some superextraspecial upbringing. The rest of us were taught to hide our blood, lest we upset some very tough guy who would freak the fuck out.

The rot Texas politics actually started back in the 80s, with Tom Delay and crew. Rick Perry was just the opportunist in chief. He’s still outsmarted by Bevo the UT cow mascot.

Moms, don’t let your daughters grow up to be Texans.

Let’s go for weasel.

It must be incredibly frustrating. The days of Molly and Ann seem long gone.

Good for you sister….now get some power and make a difference.

Bingo!

My what an astute racist you are.

Almost, Kansas is right up there

Thank you Mam!!

“UNUSED Maxi-Pads are not human waste” But Honus is—-projection.

Up your Honus Textard!

70. KingCranky says:

Nope, nothing there that specifically bans firearms from the Senate gallery, and seeing as how the Representatives and Senators themselves carry guns on the floor, during hearings and speeches, the law seems rather toothless.

Just to bear out that assertion about legislators carrying during hearings and speeches, from the article John linked to regarding guns in the Texas lege

“At recent hearings of the House Committee on County Affairs, Representative Jonathan Stickland sat listening to testimony while wearing a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol.”

And

“When Gov. Rick Perry gave his State of the State speech in February 2011
    in the House chamber, he stood a short distance from Representative
    Chuck Hopson, who paid close attention with a .22-caliber five-shot
    revolver in his right boot and a .357 Magnum within arm’s reach in a
    drawer of his desk.”

And, in the case of Democrat turned Republican…….

“One recent morning, minutes before the House would officially convene for the day and beneath the august framed portraits of Francis R. Lubbock and other Texas figures, Mr. Hopson stood on the House floor at his old desk. Asked if he was armed at that moment, he replied, “I have a North American Arms .22 Magnum.” And was it loaded?

“Of course,” he said. “What good are they if they’re not loaded?”

So when does the “unlawful” part of that statute kick in?

And how does your spin detract from the idiocy of confiscating feminine hygiene products while allowing firearms into the same gathering?

Yep, rapists should have their penises put down a garbage disposal.

Mr. Normal? ROTFL!!!!!!!

I bet most of them are small dick’d Nazi cops.

“I already have a few….” Let’s start with a tape measure and publish the results in the local newspaper.

These Texas morons are like brown shirt Nazi’s—-there I said it.

“These police officers should know better.” But this is Texas

Bingo

The rot starts at the top with Gov. Moron Rick Perry and de-evolves from there on the way down.

In Texas that is clearly the case.

The laughing has already commenced: Texas, the laughing stock of cattle country.

81. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

Sometimes my husband was in his own little word. We were at the Mall of America when I started a hypoglycemic episode. I’m normally very well controlled, but I wasn’t that day. My husband really didn’t know what to do. I had absolutely no glucose with me, so I told my husband to go to the food court to get me a Coke. He brought back a Diet Coke. I was in pretty bad shape by then, and a passing woman new immediately what was happening. She had some Starburst in her purse. She gave them to me, and I got back in working order very quickly. This is a rather long way of saying that Starbursts work too. Also, those glucose tablets are awful.

82. DogFreak says:

@Jafafa…I love you. Will you marry me?

83. pszymeczek says:

My husband carries LifeSavers candy or SweeTarts.. They work just as well as Glucose tablets.

84. pitbullgirl1965 says:

And still women vote Republican.

85. BusyTimmy says:

Or they can finally decide to vote for their own interests. They’re enjoying their moral majority.

86. GingerMan512 says:

Have you been there? Yes if you have a CHL you can bypass the metal detector line to get into the BUILDING. There are separate metal detectors for the house and senate chambers.

Oh… and this:

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
    HOLDER.

(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the
    authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless
    of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.

87. Coletta says:

ALL women should leave Texas! Tell the Texas men, “No more sex for you! Go screw your horses or your dogs! Goodbye!” The women living around or near the border states should do the same thing if some of them come across the border for sex. If some men do get a lay, charge them 3X the going price!

88. Sophia Reid says:

Obama? Thank Rick Perry, he’s the one who’s trying so hard to push this bill. Get your facts straight.

89. Cynthia dexter says:

Throw Viagra pills at them

90. Nicole Lenz says:

2014 is coming!

91. lynchie says:

There is no extinction going on. In a few years you will be outnumbered by the latinos, mexicans and chinese. Texas number 1 in the world in stupidity. Number 1 in teen pregnancy (good job with that abstinence horseshit). Number 1 in people who don’t have health care. Oh hell the list is too long. You make my points for me.

92. lynchie says:

Wrong

93. lynchie says:

No need for abortion if you asshats would wear a condom. But no you believe your right is to spray your seed and impregnate all women even if rape is required. As far as being torn apart they don’t insert a blender to perform an abortion, though I can think of a good place to put one in you.

94. Barbara Nichols says:

Her priorities are just fine. That was abusive to her civil liberty in all respects.

95. Barbara Nichols says:

SPOT ON! Talk about restricting a person’s liberty! It’s disgraceful! What do you think would happen if the guards stopped the men to check their wallets for condoms and confiscated them? Do you honestly think THEY would stand for it. NOPE, as well they shouldn’t. UNSEAT your legislators! They are abusing your constitutional liberties!

96. lynchie says:

The old “just following orders” defense.

97. lynchie says:

In their view they are only “women” not recognized as good for anything but making babies, getting beer and cooking some large piece of meat. I agree with Julia L. women have to grow up and exercise their rights. Men just aren’t up to the task. As long as they can get away with shit like this with no push back they just get more emboldened.

Not to say it is a guarantee, but statistically speaking, an older white woman from Texas, it’s probably a safe bet she that is a Republican, even being pro-choice. Hopefully no longer.

99. keirmeister says:

So you’re saying EVERY woman who enters the room to protest should have their maxi pads and medication confiscated? Does this sound like a reasonable response to an isolated report of someone bringing in jars of waste?

And…although someone did indeed link to a story about these supposed jars of waste, are we actually supposed to believe this is true? The whole story reeks (hmm…just now realizing the pun) of Rovian tactics to me.

Jars of waste at a protest. I dunno, that doesn’t pass the smell test.

(sorry, I had to)

On top of rank incompetence, DPS has also been heavily politicized. So really, when not messing around like frat boys, they’re just doing what they’re told. If their orders include going out of their way to humiliate and intimidate as many pro-choice protesters at the Capitol, that’s what they do.

101. Julia L. says:

All Texas women should leave the state and see how all those “macho” (NOT) men like their stupid, assinine rules!!! You know, it’s you women who helped get these jerks into office…vote them out the next time around!!!! You don’t want your beautiful state laughed at by the whole nation, do you???

102. Whitewitch says:

Thanks Texas Granny – I am so happy to hear you are proud and willing to speak out. I have been to Texas and find Texans to be quite welcoming. I am sorry that you state and its citizens are being painted with such a wide brush of distaste when it is just a vocal group of haters. Take care!

103. Whitewitch says:

P.S. It is now reported that there was no urine or feces confiscated…and an unused tampon is not feces…you know that right peyton….

104. Whitewitch says:

A mann can’t tell the difference between a used pad/tampon and a unopened unused one…is that what you are saying. Cause then these men need to go to some kind of training. The more important fact is that they would allow guns, but not maxi-pads/tampons. What if a tampon hits a man he shrivels to nothing…I would be more afraid of the gun toters.

105. Whitewitch says:

Nope…not all of us believe as you do. Imagine…people who believe differently than you. Shocking, but a reality. Get over it.

106. Whitewitch says:

Many older women use pads for urine leakage which is a often a result of childbirth – MORON. When you have to endure the effects of having children then you can judge why an older woman might have such things in her purse. Probably why she was embarrassed as well dork. AND they are not babies while in the womb.

107. Jean Donahue says:

Please, Ladies, have the last word at the ballot box.

108. Peyton says:

Used ones Jezabelle. That was the ridiculous part that set off this whole situation

109. Whitewitch says:

Based on her age I would say it is not about embarrassed about her normal functions, but the shame that has been allowed to be put on women for thousands of years for having such function – which by Christian tenants are punishment for original sin.

110. Mike_in_the_Tundra says:

Well, technically sugar and yogurt aren’t medications, but any insulin dependent diabetic knows to carry some source of glucose. I carry a liquid form, and the TSA has never questioned it. These police officers should know better.

111. Whitewitch says:

Shaming women is the lowest of the low. Don’t these men have any mothers? Would they like them treated this way.

112. Jill says:

Ms Goodall would be bored with Texas…it is full of normal, freedom loving people, pursuing their happiness. She would be fastinated by all the uncivilized animals that live in our biggest metropolitan areas. The city animals assault and kill each other everyday. They are making themselves extinct by killing off their offspring before they are born. They destroy their own neighborhoods when they don’t get their way. Yes, she could write books about them.

113. KingCranky says:

Every story I’ve read says that if the person has a concealed carry license, then it’s legal to take the firearm into the gallery.

Now, if you can post any statute outlawing a CCL holder from taking their gun into the gallery, then post it.

114. Sheareader says:

I propose that the women seeking entrance to the Texas State legislature wear necklaces made of tampons or carry maxi pads shaped into guns.

115. Malamute says:

Are you nuts, what does President Obama have to do with Texas politics??? Your racist hatred is showing.

116. kevan_mericle says:

The person who did this to this lady should be fired from his job, along with any other police officer or politician who watched this happen and did nothing!

117. Sheareader says:

I don’t think she was embarrassed to have normal body functions–I think she had been shamed by the disgusting actions of the guards. I think your priorities are suspect.

118. jill says:

Now that is an open-minded comment! LMAO!!

119. LiaMac says:

Just another way to control women. Wonder what her political preference is?

120. Jill says:

Really, you are comparing human beings to turkeys….a fertilized turkey egg is a dead turkey in an egg shaped box, yuck.
    I don’t understand everyone’s focus on the maxi-pads. The trooper clown took her diabetic medications!!!! This is the crime here!

121. ArthurH says:

Just another sighting of the species Mental Midgitus Rex. In Texas the legislature tries to hold down costs so jobs like screeners go to people who may not have the smarts or disposition to be screeners but are willing to accept the low pay. So such behavior should not surprise. I even saw a screener with a metal-detecting wand to roll it continually under a well-endowed woman to delight his coworkers as it buzzed from the underwiring in her bra. The screener was lucky the woman didn’t have telekinetic powers because if she did, the look on her face indicated the screener could have evaporated right before our eyes.

122. Not afraid to bleed says:

The fact that these trooper clowns took her medications is the real crime here. What self respecting woman is embarrassed by normal female functions? Does she send someone to the store to buy them for her, too. I don’t believe this propaganda.

123. jollyholly says:

I just think it is curious that she is more embarrassed about normal female functions than the fact that they took her medications. Interesting priorities.

124. mdl62 says:

Thank you for demonstrating what it’s like to have arrogant males share their expertise with women on subjects they have no experience with.

125. mdl62 says:

Thank you Paula. You took the words right out of my mouth.

126. mdl62 says:

Because it wasn’t. Troopers confirmed that there were no jars of anything. Try getting the facts before spreading the lies.

127. mdl62 says:

Bet on it!

128. mdl62 says:

There were bus loads of paid out of staters brought in by the anti-choice side. You are spot on.

129. mdl62 says:

That is BS.

130. Vicky Johnson says:

I don’t know about the pad thing, i think she should have used it first then let them take it,or just start peeing or bleeding all over the floor. What really bothers me is the way people in charge think they have the right to tell a woman what they can do with their own bodies. Men do not know what women go through or why they might have to do what they do. I would love to see a man switch places with a woman and see if they are strong enough to handle what they go though. I believe it is every woman’s right to do what they feel is necessary to them! just because you personally don’t believe in something does not mean others feel the same. I don’t care if you are a republican or democrat, no one should have the right to tell you what you can do with your body. it is yours not theirs.

131. Anomaly 100 says:

This is the result of the Texas Tampon Massacre.

132. nc_mike says:

We’re headed to a society where respectful political discourse is headed to violence in the streets soon. Everybody get your guns!

133. ComradeRutherford says:

I think we should ban 30-round magazines on all assault tampon weapons.

134. ComradeRutherford says:

Sorry, no, you can not be a police officer if you are a Democrat.

And did you know that Republicans also are union members??? Astonishing how reality proves you wrong all the time…

135. nc_mike says:

cells are cells. Exactly when they turn into life is highly debatable and a religious argument. This is why there needs to separation of church and state.

136. mdl62 says:

I call BS. Even the troopers said that was untrue. Get your facts straight instead of listening to your lying anti-choice friends.

137. nc_mike says:

To all republican men, women are property.

138. nc_mike says:

Need to declare a penis a weapon.

139. nc_mike says:

And that’s all she wrote. Period.

140. JezabelleDisreali says:

Sadly, I wouldn’t put it past them.

141. JezabelleDisreali says:

Ridiculous for women to bring in necessary items? How dare those women!

142. jedi woman says:

At what point will you people realize that this is a tactic often used by the right to discredit peaceful, non-violent protesters. It is used ALL THE TIME to discredit the anti-war movement. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if those who were supposedly carrying feces, etc were actually law enforcement moles trying to stir up trouble. Been there – seen it.

143. jedi woman says:

That was an excuse. I wouldn’t put it past these people to have planted agitators in the pro-choice crowd just as they plant violent people in the
    anti-War crowd. It is a common tactic used by the right when they fear their opponents are garnering too much public approval.

144. jedi woman says:

No, but PROUD, WHITE CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS ARE!!!

145. jedi woman says:

Um, excuse me, Anus – “This” is supposed to be behavior by professional law enforcement. It makes real sense to allow ppl to carry FIREARMS to the state house but not maxi pads!!

Do me a favor – next time you agitate to secede – let me know where to send my check.

146. jedi woman says:

Nope. Just as a fertilized turkey egg isn’t a turkey, a zygote isn’t a human being. Sorry – that’s just biology. Human potential begins at conception. Life as a “being” – a “separate & distinct human individual” begins when it is capable to survive as such.

147. jedi woman says:

And it is not unusual for diabetics to suffer from incontinence secondary to nerve damage. I did see somewhere that she referred to having her period – but she mat have said that bc she was too embarrassed to admit incontinence.

148. jedi woman says:

I hope you are being sarcastic… But, it’s more likely attributable to the usual: a conservative who can’t seem to mind his own business.

If I invited you to a Thanksgiving dinner, yet served you one fertilized turkey egg – would you call that a turkey dinner? NOPE.

A fertilized egg does not a turkey make, a fertilized ovum does not a baby make. GET IT??!!

149. jedi woman says:

It isn’t Dems proposing these anti-choice laws! It is Republicans. (And cops are overwhelmingly conservative Repubs, not Dems. This woman’s humiliation is awful, I agree. But having to resort to a back alley abortion is MUCH WORSE – I assure you.

150. loona_c says:

And that creates double the hurt for Texas Democrats. We don’t get any respect from our “representatives” and we don’t get any respect from the rest of the world. Sigh.

151. TonyT says:

Thanks Obama!

152. Debra Diroll says:

Not just the rest of the country, but the world.

153. Debra Diroll says:

Check out Nina Turner (an Ohio Representative). She has bill that does just that!

154. Peyton says:

At what point does common sense come into the picture for people not to bring used tampons and jars of FECES to the protests? The protesters are adults too. Stop trying to let them off the hook for their stupidity.

155. Ignatz says:

“Somebody once did something bad, so we’re allowed to humiliate an old lady!”

Does your dick get hard when you humiliate women, you piece of shit?

156. Ignatz says:

Stop attacking American women, you freakish Fascist jerk.

157. grandpamike says:

You are correct, and unfortunate for Texas, it will continue to be like this for the near future. Democratic gerrymandering also takes place when they hold the state houses, but are not as venal as Republicans are when they do. Yes, large, urbane, cities have gone for Democrats, but without gaining control of the State House, it will only get worse for Texans. I know I painted with a broad brush, but unfortunately, the world views Texas through their elected representatives, and so, all good people of Texas are viewed by that metric.

158. Suzie Nunnally Clary says:

Houston, 1972. My dad was trying to run us off the road. Mom stopped car and we all got out. Dad came after us. Mom picks up big branch. Big police officer behind her. They put Mom and us 3 kids (I was 10yrs old; my humiliated oldest brother was 14) behind bars. They pulled off my mom’s wig. My dad played cards with them in their area. He was not a law officer. He was an alcoholic who worked for a pipe company. They purposely locked us up and humiliated my mom because she stood up to my dad.

159. Suzie Nunnally Clary says:

Ditto

160. Suzie Nunnally Clary says:

Most of us know life begins at conception. Viability is a way to think differently about it. But it doesn’t change the fact. Human beings begin at conception.

161. Suzie Nunnally Clary says:

Women often wear them for minor incontinence.