Open thread – Now my Internet is down

Call me Job.

In addition to everything else happening this week, now my parents’ Comcast Internet is down. I’ve been working on it all day, and am continuing to.

In the meantime, feel free to chat amongst yourselves.

Sorry, and thanks. JOHN

48 Responses to “Open thread – Now my Internet is down”

1. Abby says:

A recent switch to on upgrade on Comcast cable, and I find it only affects the main TV, which works out to be a total failure and pretty much of a joke for me. In this day and age of more than 1 T V in a home, what good is this? They have us by the balls, and when another company comes along, the shareholders might ask, what happened?

2. Bill B says:

It’s hard when our parents age and suffer the problems that come then. I hope your pop heals soon and your parents can return to a more carefree lifestyle!

3. lynchie says:

John hope you read my post on your original posting re your dad. I gave you a whole list of things to watch for and do. That was my experience when my wife was suffering from cancer but applies to anyone who is in the hospital for more than a day or two.

As far as the delerium here is a link to an excellent article done at Harvard Medical School which might help guide you.

Another article which may help.

My Mom passed a few years ago and the one thing we found that helped is have normal conversations. We kept asking her what bills should be paid and when, etc., etc. Treat them as if there is no dysfunction and involve them in all conversations. It helped. Wish you and your Pops the best.

4. ArthurH says:

You mean like Mitt Romney channeling General Bullmoose?

And while we’re on the topic of once-upon-a-time, I miss orchid blogging.

That’s my method. I can’t claim that my handwriting is as legible as Klingon but I can read what I wrote.

7. HeartlandLiberal says:

Here at home I keep a little read loose leaf notebook, 4 x 5″. In it is one page per account and password on the Internet, and for my rather extensive business class home network, which sits behind a business class router. It is my bible, where I record all accounts, URLs, IDs, and passwords. It started while I was working, and is still in use after retirement, since I still consult and use the web every day. There are well over a hundred accounts recorded in that book.

The only encryption is my handwriting, which one of my best friends describes as being the closest thing to Klingon script he has seen lately.

8. HelenRainier says:

How is Sasha? Have she and Carmella had any play dates yet?

If you do have open threads, John, I’ll do my best to get conversations going.

I became acquainted with a gal who worked in Alaska as a wilderness ‘adventure’ coordinator. Someone who’d take lower-48 neophytes out onto the tundra or to see the glaciers. She’d been doing it quite a few years.

As early as the late 90s, she was saying the weather wasn’t right, the glaciers were melting, and places you could count on being frozen through most of the summer just weren’t anymore.

We’re, um, kinda screwed. Especially since we haven’t stopped doing what causes all that stuff to happen.

I had a major computer meltdown early this year and had to reinstall the OS from scratch. I was in a near panic that I’d have lost all my passwords… when I remembered that I’d stuck them all into LastPass and all I needed was my master password to log in there.

And that password is very, very secure.

Hey, Becca or Naja are good bets for that—-both brilliant and well informed. Since I have been ill, the meds have befuddled my ability to concentrate so haven’t done anything original or political essays in awhile. I sure do miss writing poetry though. AB is my window on the world. Thanks for the reply John. peace, Michael

OMG Paris in August. Still, enjoy!!!!!

14. mejumaxuturi says:

мy coυѕιɴ ιѕ мαĸιɴɢ $51/нoυr oɴlιɴe. υɴeмployed ғor α coυple oғ yeαrѕ αɴd prevιoυѕ yeαr ѕнe ɢoт α $1З619cнecĸ wιтн oɴlιɴe joв ғor α coυple oғ dαyѕ. ѕee мore αт…­ ­ViewMore——————————————&#46qr&#46net/kkEj

GAAAAAA! I wish somehow you
    could go on vacation—say a beautiful cabin in Big Sur, turn off the
    phone, shut down the computer, play music, listen to the pounding surf,
    collect shells, eat fresh crab, snuggle with Sasha or a honey and let go
    of all the stress and worries.

15. zorbear says:

I <3 LastPass! I don't think I could get along without it on the Internet any more…

What a small world…

16. Actually, I’m quite open to have you guys write stuff for the blog, like Daily Kos with when they find good commenters. I honestly don’t have a sense of who’s really good – has interesting ideas, write well, has a nice voice to their writing. A big caveat is that I can’t pay anything – before the crash in 2009, I probably could have, now forget it. But, we do have a high visibility, and it can’t hurt for helping build up your twitter following, so for anyone who doesn’t mind writing a few things a week (no pressure to write every day, though someone could if they wanted to), the door is open (for applications at least :)

17. Well, vacations are sadly never a possibility, not until I figure out how to make the blog a bit more self-sustaining on its own. But I am, hopefully, heading to France next week to house sit for chris for the month, as usual, and while I’ll still be working full time from there, it’s still a nice respite to be in Paris, albeit working in Paris, it still beats dead bodies in the backyard in DC :)

18. LOL there’s that. But also, I tend to have to write a few hours late at night, in order to have some posts ready for the morning, so didn’t want to be out all day and then out all night. As for the parents, dad is in the hospital, got his feeding tube, it’s begun to work, and hopefully moving to a nursing home to rehabilitate a bit starting tomorrow. Mom is staying with him as he freaks out a bit when she’s not there, in part because he hates hospital settings, but also there’s the delirium playing games. So I’m home taking care of my nephew, which has actually been surprisingly fun.

19. Exactly, yes. But people stopped commenting in them, so we stopped doing them. I’ll change that now, but if I forget, feel free to remind me.

20. It’s funny, but we stopped doing them years ago because people weren’t using them, and we felt kind of silly posting nothing, and then not having any comments! Clearly times have changed :) So sure!

21. dula says:

Obama ‘Concerned and Disappointed’ After Journalist Who Exposed US War Crimes Freed
    Abdulelah Haider Shaye ‘put in prison because he had the audacity to expose’ deadly US drone strike

22. FLL says:

Brilliant.

23. Hue-Man says:

Just a reminder that human-induced climate change is a 100% liberal-induced hoax! The following “happening now” story is definitely 100% just weather…

“Arctic scientists are watching in awe this week as a raging summer cyclone tears up what could become a record amount of rotting northern sea ice.”

“Cyclones are not unusual in the Arctic, but seem to be changing in recent years, said David Barber, one of Canada’s top sea-ice experts. “These cyclones are not getting more frequent, but they are getting deeper — which means stronger,” he said.

And they’re getting harder on sea ice, which they break up through wave action associated with high winds and through rainfall, which darkens the ice and makes it absorb more solar energy. The storms also bring up water from the depths, which is actually warmer than surface water.” http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/summer-cyclone-chewing-up-canada-s-arctic-sea-ice-1.1383454

There are still plenty of dialup providers in the US, don’t know about elsewhere, but a good amount of the US is still forced to use dialup due to shitty infrastructure. Many providers even have 800 numbers to dial in, so you can call from anywhere in the country.

Oh dear, not disaster! :-)

26. MyrddinWilt says:

And which dial up provider would you use?

I haven’t had an account with one for ten years now. There was a time when I had three phone lines in the house, one for phone, two for the modems. Not had that for a very long time.

Pffth. Everybody knows bankers never go to jail these days. It’s only being true to economic realities.

28. Whitewitch says:

I do change it regularly…was hoping a daily change would cripple the feds…of course not…rats!!! I will check out LastPass.

It’s a thought, for sure.

You can pick up a USB 56k modem for about 15-20 bucks. Which is kinda ridiculous for 10 year old computer technology, but if you find yourself needing it…

No, if the companies are giving the Feds the unencrypted versions, or the database and the keys to decrypt it, changing your password every day will make little difference.

That said, it’s always a good idea to be in the habit of changing your online passwords every 6 months or so, and not to use the same password everywhere. There are a number of products that allow you to do this more easily, some as software on your computer, some online. One I use is called LastPass.

I think so. I guess some of the video ‘break-time’ posts serve the purpose, but I kinda like it being just this. No particular context or content, no need to put “Off topic: Get a load of this latest wingnut atrocity” in a comment thread that’s skewed towards the lighthearted.

33. Whitewitch says:

Anyone seen this headline:

“Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords: Secret demands mark escalation in Internet surveillance by the federal government through gaining access to user passwords, which are typically stored in encrypted form.”

Any good suggestions for fixing it so they can’t get my password…I have lots of secret stuff to do. Do you think changing it everyday would thwart them?

I second the motion.

Aye, but there’s the rub, no? I haven’t had a modem in any of my computers for at least the last five years or more.

Didn’t he do that at one time?

Hey John: I think you should post an Open Thread post every day. Even when Comcast isn’t being a pill.

Unless, of course, one is caring for one’s ill parent.

39. emjayay says:

Well, one can always take one’s laptop to the local public library or Starbucks or something.

40. Whitewitch says:

And let Karmanot run the blog (yeah!!)

That is Funny!

Monopoly is doing away with jail.

Clearly, the terrorists have won.

43. Thom Allen says:

Putin Airlines. Direct flights to Sochi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoC-LWdbggU

44. Thom Allen says:

Another Sexodus International executive made an apology today. Randy Thomas now regrets (some of) his past statements and attitudes concerning LGBT people. Apparently part of this was brought on not only by what Alan Chambers had to say but also, by the suicide of a former lover of Thomas.’ Maybe this is the beginning of a trend in ex-gay circles.

45. Thom Allen says:

Sounds like John is channeling Al Capp.

I used to be able to tether through my phone for free, but they started blocking it and charging an extra $20 bucks a month if you want that feature… I still find it worth it though, and use it all the time when I’m on the road. I remember the days of being online with my 2400, and when my employer paid for my first 14.4k, I was overjoyed. Even though both were agonizingly slow. NetZero still offers a free dialup service, which can be handy if you’re really in a bind and happen to still have an old modem in your computer.

47. perljammer says:

Back in the days before the wifi explosion, some broadband accounts came with a companion dial-up account that you could use when you were away from home. I don’t think they do that anymore. 56K dial-up is pretty painful when you’re used to multi-megabit speeds, but it beats the heck out of 0 bps. These days it probably makes more sense to have a wifi-to-3|4G adapter as a backup.

GAAAAAA! I wish somehow you could go on vacation—say a beautiful cabin in Big Sur, turn off the phone, shut down the computer, play music, listen to the pounding surf, collect shells, eat fresh crab, snuggle with Sasha or a honey and let go of all the stress and worries.