Satan was pro-choice, religious right claims

Religious right leader Matt Barber, a far-right anti-gay activist associated with Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University, and who sits on the board of an officially-designated hate group, Americans for the Truth About Homosexuality, said during a radio show today that Satan was the world’s first pro-choicer.

Barber was discussing pro-choice advocates and a recent video that showed a lone woman, facetiously yelling “Hail Satan” at a camera during a pro-choice vs anti-choice protest. The woman was sticking her tongue out and, rather than representing serving as the ambassador of The Evil One, seemed pretty clearly to be joking.

Nonetheless, this led Barber to confess that Satan himself was the original pro-choicer:

“The first pro-choicer, frankly, from a spiritual perspective was Satan himself.”

Get it?  Satan gave Adam and Eve the choice to eat the Apple or not, and they chose to eat it?

Of course, the irony here is that, following Barber’s logic, God is actually the original pro-choicer.  While God told Adam and Eve not to eat the apple, clearly God didn’t take the choice away from Adam and Eve, or they wouldn’t have been able to eat it at all.  God said no, but gave them the choice.  And they chose.

As for Satan, he was the guy who tried to get you to do something, not based on the merits, not with full information, but through trickery and coercion.  Sounds like a political party I know, and it’s not my own :)

Of course, why debate the fine points with someone who thinks the pro-choice movement is actually based on Satan.

I’ve often felt that the people who most embody Satan’s values are the haters on the religious right.

First, here’s the “proof” that the pro-choice movement is allied with Satanists:

And here’s Barber’s bizarre comments about this today:

51 Responses to “Satan was pro-choice, religious right claims”

1. Leng Nize says:

This is a funny and baseless claim!
    _________________________________________________________________________________

plexus slim

2. bushtheidiot says:

And Jesus and Mary’s baby daddy are the biggest pinko commies around.

Luke (1:49–53):

49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. 50 And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. 51 He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. 52 He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. 53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.

3. Pat Cowdin says:

This guy is the male, religious version of Ann Coulter.

4. mike31c says:

Who knows Satan best but his own followers: the GOP and other assorted RWNJ’s

5. emma852 says:

as Andrew responded I didn’t even know that a student can earn $9411 in four weeks on the internet. did you look at this link w­w­w.K­E­P­2.c­o­m

6. TheOriginalLiz says:

Christianity does seem to be about withholding information.

Only the priests know how the magic works; for centuries regular folks weren’t supposed to read the bible. Science was (and still is, some would say) squelched by Christianity. Books were destroyed. Even now, Christians don’t want to educate people about their own bodies.

7. samiinh says:

Nah. God’s just your regular run of the mill back alley abortionist.

He is an offense to lawyers, but that is not a rare or exceptional status. Just look at the defense for George Zimmerman. Law is a commodity in this country now, and Justice, that solitary blind lady holding a weighted scale, no match for testilying.

Are you implying a miscarriage of divine justice?

10. ArthurH says:

Matt Barber would then say, “The devil made me do it!”

11. lynchie says:

Nehru would be shocked, shocked I say.

12. paulabflat says:

yeah. that’s what wings are for. sure.

who?…how?…

13. paulabflat says:

irony? it’s what they’ve feared all along. if we could only convince them that it’s for their good, not just ours.
    i don’t see much hope for success. what with all the thrashing about they’re sure to do.
    can i buy a tranquilizer gun?
    seriously. can i?

14. Badgerite says:

Really. I thought it was Jehovah who told Abraham to take Issac up to the mount and sacrifice him to demonstrate his love and obedience to God and only at the last minute did God relent. You mean to tell me the Bible was wrong and it was …….SATAN!

15. ArthurH says:

The Far Right Christians have other strange beliefs. One holds that even if you lead a good life and qualify for admittance to heaven, on the way to your reward you can still be tricked by Satan and end up spending eternity in Hell. It makes as much sense as in that Weird Al Yankovich song where the fellow is denied entrance to heaven because he appears before St. Peter in a leisure suit.

16. Tony T says:

I thought God was about free will. Doesn’t that mean we get to choose?

17. lynchie says:

Not just far-right but religious freaks who continue to make the claim that unless you are a true believer you deserve to die. Pushing their brand or any brand religion is tolerated in this country without push back is what has driven the tea party and all these fundie types. I, for one, am sick of it. If you need religion in your life great, keep it to yourself and go to church and contribute and all that fancy horseshit, but no tax free status, no place in politics and keep your opinions to yourself.

18. HelenRainier says:

and mandated for all religious zealots.

19. rmthunter says:

It’s the echo chamber — they only make these statements in “Christian” venues, where everyone is going to swallow everything they say hook, line, and sinker. It’s much easier on their internal equilibrium, which doesn’t react well to outside stimuli.

Or Leland Palmer… also known as BOB.

21. samiinh says:

God is the the greatest abortionist of all time, with no choice.

My apologies, dear.

23. benb says:

Is Matt Barber married? Before he was ousted by the little ladies at the Concerned Women for America, he spent his time scratching out homophobic memos for them. I suppose he could have been too much of a Traditional Man for them—Rough Trade—or they caught him in the supply closet with that butch janitor that doesn’t speak much English. Something’s going, there.

There something George-Zimmerman-Freaky about the guy—like he thinks he knows Satan on a first-name basis.

24. JayRandal says:

Far-right religious freaks are really nutty. We all could just laugh at them but they are very dangerous.
    Why I call them the American version of Taliban.

25. Phil says:

Jeesh! And this guy passed the bar exam???!!! And teaches and some kind of apparently accredited law school????!!!! (No offense to lawyers, John.)

I’d like to know what kind of law he teaches.

26. zorbear says:

and mandated for all politicians…
    :-|

27. cusinemakaty says:

мy coυѕιɴ ιѕ мαĸιɴɢ $51/нoυr oɴlιɴe. υɴeмployed ғor α coυple oғ yeαrѕ αɴd prevιoυѕ yeαr ѕнe ɢoт α $1З619cнecĸ wιтн oɴlιɴe joв ғor α coυple oғ dαyѕ. ѕee мore αт…­ ­ViewMore——————————————&#46qr&#46net/kkEj

No, actually they do. Very
    interesting that the bible says the seraphim had six wings. With two,
    they flew and they used two to cover their face and two to cover their
    feet. In the bible “foot” or “feet” is often a euphemism for genitals.

28. Dave of the Jungle says:

I was not!

29. Monoceros Forth says:

I still think this is somehow less ridiculous than the guy who cited Noah’s Ark as an example of how godly amateurs are better than godless experts at building boats.

No, actually they do. Very interesting that the bible says the seraphim had six wings. With two, they flew and they used two to cover their face and two to cover their feet. In the bible “foot” or “feet” is often a euphemism for genitals.

We are in a serious need of a comprehensive, government sponsored mental health program.

32. Zorba says:

Oy! I can’t say that it’s exactly a “favorite” for me, but it is certainly extremely indicative of their mind-set. And now I need to go poke my eyeballs out because I have read these.

33. Jennifer Anker says:

The serpent, not Satan, gave more information about the tree of life, really, than God did to begin with. >.>

34. JozefAL says:

That pic of Barber is interesting. He looks quite a bit like Ray Wise who played the Devil on the late, lamented series, “Reaper.”

35. Jonas Grumby says:

How ’bout the Tooth Fairy.

36. Tor says:

Do spirits have gender? I thought they did not have naughty bits, only gender-identifying haircuts.

37. Tor says:

Who is not to say the Republicans and other conservatives are not the spawn of Satan? Smart people cannot say such a ridiculous thing. However, I am not that smart, and I know R’s and T-baggers are indeed doing Satan’s work. I prefer Satin, myself.

38. Tor says:

Yoiks. I need brain cleanser.

39. mike31c says:

So now this religious nut is claiming he speaks for Satan him/herself?

40. jm2 says:

so then Satan also gave man ‘free will’ not Barber’s god, because to make a choice you have to be free to choose!

41. chrislib says:

Another theofascist who sells hate in the name of the Prince of Peace.

100% off-topic: My favorite stumbled-upon website today–

43. Lou Alexander says:

Looked to me like everyone involved was having a really good time. Reminded me of being in Ann Arbor, MI once when the KKK was stupid enough to try to march through this very liberal ‘burg. A near riot ensued and I could not escape the feeling that a good time was had by all.

44. Whitewitch says:

They are seriously out of their heads…however the one silly woman does one silly thing and NOW THEY HAVE It on FILM – proof positive and you notice on blogs everywhere that prolifers are now accusing pro-choice people of being satantist…way to start a new movement.

Corrected. ;-)

“nor whether he even exists” Who said I was a he?” kemosabi. rotfl

47. leathersmith says:

the voices in my head tell me so!

A fictional being apparently created by mistake by an infallible, omniscient deity is ascribed a particular political viewpoint by people who can neither prove nor disprove it is what this fictional being actually believes, nor whether he even exists as a sentient metaphysical manifestation. Yeah, right…

I can’t believe these assholes aren’t just laughed off the stage at every opportunity.