Daily Show, Colbert Report on Trayvon Martin verdict

The Colbert Report’s Stephen Colbert, and the Daily Show’s John Oliver, take on the “not guilty” verdict for George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin murder trial.

Stephen-Colbert-Trayvon-Martin

Note that the Daily Shows makes the mistake a number of people are making in thinking that Zimmerman got off because of Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law.  In the end, Zimmerman did not use the Stand Your Ground defense.  He invoked simple self-defense, I read because his attorneys likely didn’t think he’d prevail on Stand Your Ground, which must have a higher standard of proof than self-defense.

“I think it might honestly be time for the Sunshine State to officially change its motto. ‘Welcome to Florida: The Worst State.’ ”

Florida-the-Worst-State

Here’s Stephen Colbert:

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Indecision Political Humor,Video Archive

Here’s the Daily Show:

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
Get More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Indecision Political Humor,The Daily Show on Facebook

22 Responses to “Daily Show, Colbert Report on Trayvon Martin verdict”

1. perljammer says:

No, you’re not crazy, and yes, I am aware that they are comedy shows. I’m also aware of polling data indicating that they are a preferred source for news among a large segment of young people — people who prefer entertainment over information.

2. Albert Chandler says:

Ok, I’m just a little bit confused… You do realize that these are comedy shows, right? They’re actually aired on a channel called Comedy Central. So, while I can’t be 100% sure on this, I have a feeling that they aren’t really meant to be taken seriously… Call me crazy, but that’s just my thought on the subject.

3. BillFromDover says:

Which story?

4. lynchie says:

Have a neighbor who is selling his condo in Florida and has a Rand McNallys with the florida maps torn out. He calls Florida the stealth state, can’t see it, don’t think about it.

5. perljammer says:

The Colbert Report and The Daily Show. OK, rather than blather on regarding my personal opinion on this, I’ll just refer you to GP’s post regarding the state of journalism (or what passes for it) today.

6. SkippyFlipjack says:

I wasn’t saying what actually happened, only what Zimmerman’s story was, since he’s the defendant who is or is not using SYG as a defense.

I think jury tampering has to come from outside.

Actually, from what I’ve read Trayvon was the one “standing his ground” because Zimmerman was the one stalking and confronting him.

9. SkippyFlipjack says:

The way I understand it is that self defense involve being scared for your life and not having an avenue of escape. Stand Your Ground means that it’s immaterial whether you have an escape route, you’re entitled to just be where you are and aren’t obligated to run away from an attacker. Zimmerman’s contention was that he had no escape route as Martin accosted him and jumped on him, and he fired the gun in self defense with Martin on top of him beating him up, hence no invoking of SYG.

10. iamlegion says:

If jury-tampering can be shown, can’t the verdict be vacated and a new trial ordered?

If you need a chuckle, follow @FloridaMan on Twitter. If you’re not familiar with Florida, it will explain a lot.

It’s more like: Florida, the Vigilante State.

Is there a word for boycotting a place you had no intentions of visting to begin with?

14. Drew2u says:

Is your Disney Cheshire Cat image supposed to be ironic? /not-being-snarky

15. KarenJ says:

I would suggest as a method of protest to Florida’s backward slide into vigilantism and white supremacy, that folks from other parts of the country contemplate other places to vacation or to retire to. Unless, of course, you think you’d fit right in.

No, but the Feds can brings charges.

17. Clevelandchick says:

double-jeopardy…can’t be done

18. Clevelandchick says:

The judge gave the juror’s instruction on the SYG law BUT conveniently omitted the “initial aggressor” exception. That verdict, had there been unbiased juror’s sitting on the case, could have gone the other way (or at least resulted in a hung jury) if the judge had instructed them on that vital exception. A good case could have been made that Zimmerman was the initial aggressor. The SYG law did in fact work in Zimmerman’s favor and ultimately gave the juror’s an excuse for their preposterous verdict.

19. Zimmerman didn’t INVOKE the “Stand Your Ground” defense, but the judge specifically referred to it in the instructions to the jury, meaning that it’s not a law that needs to be invoked, it’s the law of the land and the de facto self-defense statute.

20. iamlegion says:

B37’s statements are actually starting to look like evidence for a retrial…

21. Drew2u says:

I thought that before the trial began, the jurors were instructed to interpret Zimmerman’s actions according to SYG, if not told explicitly “the stand your ground law” then given an interpretation that was directly what SYG meant. Thom Hartman, I believe, had that on his show yesterday.

22. B37 says:

B37 already said she voted the way she did BECAUSE of the SYG law. So it was definitely a factor even though it should not have been.