McDonald’s is now “healthy”?

Hmm.  McDonald’s is arguing that some of its new menu items are actually healthy.

And it’s not completely untrue.  As much as we like to laugh at the concept of McDonald’s being “healthy,” it is true that you don’t have to eat the nasty every time go to McDonald’s or Burger King.  Most fast food places have chicken sandwiches, for example, and usually a grilled chicken option.  And while I’m no huge fan of the grilled chicken at these places, in a pinch, when I’m on the road, and it’s McDonald’s or nothing, I’ll sometimes get them instead of a burger, just to be a bit healthier.  So it’s good they offer them.

A McDonald’s nutrition specialist (don’t laugh) spoke to the Salt Lake Tribune recently, and did point out a few good things the fast-food chain is doing, such as lowering the amount of fat in its chocolate milk to zero, since moms were asking for it.  Also, she noted that McDonald’s will soon have a new breakfast sandwich that’s made entirely of egg whites, which are far healthier than whole eggs, particularly in terms of cholesterol.

McDonald’s nutrition person was less successful at explaining any efforts being made to make a Big Mac or french fries “healthier.”  Ha.

Burger and fries via Shutterstock

Burger and fries via Shutterstock

And truth be told, as much fun as it is for all of us to pick on McDonald’s, I do like their burgers.  I don’t eat there regularly, but I do go there when I’m in the car traveling for a few hours somewhere, or in the airport (sometimes), and I’ll splurge (health-wise) on a burger and fries, and I do enjoy it.  Part of the problem is people who go to McDonald’s a lot, and aren’t eating salads and grilled chicken.  So I don’t entirely blame McDonald’s.  Burgers are simply not health food.

What I will blame McDonald’s for is having a CEO who’s a homophobe.  That’s not healthy. You might recall that their CEO, Donald Thompson, caused a bit of a stir a year ago by telling the Chicago Tribune that a McDonald’s ad showing a gay kid having lunch with his dad wouldn’t be running in America because “I’m a Christian.”

Yeah, I’m a Christian too.  Bite me.

Then there was the McDonald’s in Ohio that was handing out GOP election propaganda to its employees.

Or the time McDonald’s refused worker’s comp to a hero McDonald’s employee, Nigel Haskett, who was shot multiple times while rescuing a woman who was being punched by a man.  The man’s medical bills came to $300,000.  Here’s what McDonald’s had to say about that:

mcdonalds-workers-comp

And let’s not even talk about the transgender woman who was attacked at a McDonald’s by two patrons, in full view of the employees who did nothing other than film the attack on their cell phones. Well, McDonald’s pathetic manager kept saying “stop, stop” as the women kept coming back and punching and kicking the poor trans woman over and over again.  The attack went on for minutes.  The manager wasn’t exactly a profile in courage.  And you can hear, apparently whoever is holding the camera, laughing at the attack.  Then again, we know that McDonald’s doesn’t pay worker’s comp if you’re injured saving a customer, so this is the kind of behavior such a policy engenders.

So it’s all well and good that McDonald’s now believes in egg whites. It would be nice if the company believed in equality as well.  Because the only thing more unhealthy than fat and cholesterol, is hate.

31 Responses to “McDonald’s is now “healthy”?”

1. Hellothere says:

McDonald’s is now “healthy”? I would suggest a different tittle like, “The things I like and I don’t like from McDonald’s”

2. mauriceshow says:

Mcdonalds IS getting healthier! I just bought these 2 grilled chicken wraps with no sauce after my work out and I really feel great. I don’t understand why everyone criticizes mcdonalds for selling something they DONT have to buy!

3. EvieTtracy says:

Mcdonalds have tried any number of healthy menu choices. People filling out marketing surveys and journalists who need something to write about lead analysts to believe ‘this is the year for healthier food’ every year. Finally it is “HEALTHY” now.

4. hollywoodstein says:

yes, liar, liar…

5. hollywoodstein says:

If, and only if you must, ask for it black. At the second window ask for shugar.

6. hollywoodstein says:

Keep it that way.

7. hollywoodstein says:

Maybe it was the scary birthday clown with the squeaky, twisted balloon sculptures that sent the little woodstein down the yellow brick road?

8. hollywoodstein says:

Call me, maybe?

9. hollywoodstein says:

Mickey-d’s is poison on many levels. I’d rather go hungry.

10. AdmNaismith says:

There is the Egg McMuffin, small salad, OJ, the hash browns in a weak moment, and a regular hamburger (no mayo or ketchup- cheese if you must) in a pinch. Don’t eat anything else there.

11. zorbear says:

My dog does that and seems to like it!

12. zorbear says:

And all because their participation became public. Isn’t the “light of day” a grand thing?

13. Bill_Perdue says:

McDonald’s is now “healthy”?

14. Buford says:

‘Healthier’, even if it were true, is not the same as ‘healthy’. You’d have to be crazy to eat that garbage.

Besides, who wants to eat a place which makes billions in profit but has employees who have worked there for 20 years and still make minimum wage (eg., Tyree Johnson).

McDonald’s didn’t renew their membership to ALEC for the 2012 year, back when a bunch of other companies, like Kraft and Coca Cola bailed.

16. Sweetie says:

“the yolk contains a lot of fat and calories, but no (significant) protein”

not true

17. Sweetie says:

“Research has failed to provide conclusive evidence that one egg a day
    can raise your blood cholesterol or risk for heart disease.

There’s a lot more to egg yolks than cholesterol. Yolks
    contain high quality protein and essential vitamins and nutrients. One
    of the most powerful benefits of the yolk is the concentration of lutein
    and zeaxanthin, carotenoids responsible for its rich, golden color.
    They are key components in the human eye, and eating foods that contain
    these nutrients preserves good eyesight and prevents vision loss.

High levels of lutein and zeaxanthin in the diet are associated with
    the lowest incidence of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration,
    the leading cause of vision loss among the elderly. Tossing the yolk in
    favor of the perceived healthier egg white tosses out 100 percent of the
    carotenoids, essential fatty acids, vitamins A, E, D, and K, as well as
    most of the calcium, iron and folate in the egg. While spinach
    and some other foods are excellent sources of lutein and zeaxanthin, a
    study published in the Journal of Nutrition found that lutein in eggs is
    three times more available to your body, compared with an equivalent
    amount of cooked spinach.”

LOL!

The wrong end of intake.

That clown is enough to scare me off.

Eating at McDonalds is akin to eating vomit.

22. TheOriginalLiz says:

McDonald’s isn’t even food – how can it possibly be healthy?

23. Mary O'Grady says:

Please, stay out of McDonald’s. It serves up standardized slop. Its pervasiveness is destroying local food all over the world.

24. SkippyFlipjack says:

Travel calories aren’t real calories.

What’s a McDonalds?

26. The ‘McDonalds Foundation’ pays for and sets nutritional standards in the US. Not a joke.

27. Drew2u says:

Mickey-D’s is also a paying member of ALEC (the Koch Bros’ club) as well as being against fair wages and healthcare so f’em. Burger King and Hardee’s have veggie and turkey burger options if I’m going to have a fast food burger.

28. Chris in Ks. says:

McDonalds is now healthy. And I am now Brad Pitt. See how much fun that delusions can be.

29. bkmn says:

About the only thing I go to McD’s for is a cup of coffee when I am on the road. It’s not bad. I just wish that the employees could deliver it as requested, with sugar, not creamer.

30. rerutled says:

There is no connection between dietary cholesterol and heart disease. Thirty years ago, studies showed a strong connection between blood cholesterol levels and heart disease, and it was assumed that dietary cholesterol would be behind it. Turns out, it’s not — much bigger factors are genetics and exercise. So, you can eat that whole-egg sandwhich all you want. However, folks thinking about maximizing protein intake while minimizing calorie intake prefer egg whites to whole eggs, because the yolk contains a lot of fat and calories, but no (significant) protein. So the news of an egg white sandwhich will be greeted happily by bodybuilders.

But the CEO’s a homophobe? Didn’t know that one. Lots of Christians aren’t homophobes, so he shouldn’t be permitted to get away with that.

31. Randy says:

I didn’t know the CEO was a homophobe, and also a jerk. Not eatin’ there anymore.