While accepting that the GOP ran “some obvious candidates that frightened women” in the 2012 campaign, Laura Bush told CNN yesterday that she was “glad that in our party we have room for all of them.”
Yeah, cuz America wouldn’t be America if we didn’t welcome “legitimate rape” as legitimate political discourse.
Yes, bring us your bigots, your hate mongers and your socially-backward women-haters because it’s important to allow all of them to have their say in the GOP’s big tent of bigotry. You won’t find a political party more tolerant of intolerance than the Republicans.
Brings a tear to the eye, doesn’t it?
Never mind that the social issues that Laura Bush finds so “heartfelt” are about denying people their rights, denying people proper healthcare and promoting hatred. Laura Bush is glad “that in our party we have room for all of them. I think that’s important too.”
Laura Bush then went on to claim that the anti-women, anti-black, anti-gay, anti-Latino extremists in the GOP “were the exception rather than the norm in the party.” Huh. As John wrote last year, extremists like legitimate-rape Akin aren’t a glitch, they’re a feature of the modern GOP.
Hell, you’ve still got Republicans defending the legitimate rape comment, and defending the notion that women’s bodies have a way of shutting down unwanted rape-babies. And a New Mexico Republican recently tried to make abortion after rape a felony because, get this, it would be tampering with the evidence of a crime.
Crazy-ass anti-women GOP bigotry isn’t a glitch, it’s a feature. Does anyone remember these greatest recent hits? Does Laura Bush?
- Top GOP rally for Senate wannabe who said rape-babies are gift from God.
- Mike Huckabee, in defense of rape babies (seriously)
- GOP Senate candidate discusses “legitimate rape”
- Wasilla charged rape victims for their own forensic exams under Mayor Sarah Palin?
- Romney-backed Senate candidate: God wants women to have rape-babies
- Stephen Colbert on GOP claims God intended women to have rape-babies
- Rachel Maddow on “legitimate rape”—What Todd Akin’s statement says about GOP orthodoxy
- GOP ally Catholic Church says child rape “understandable,” blames children
- Harry Reid’s GOP opponent thinks your rape is part of God’s plan
- Palin: McCain favors government forcing rape victims to carry their attacker’s baby to term
These are not nice people. And they’re not the fringe of the GOP, they are the GOP.
The biggest problem with the Republican party isn’t that they’re so welcoming of so many different forms of bigotry and hate. No, the biggest problem the Republicans have is that they, like Laura Bush, not only welcome bigotry, and not only embrace bigots as some kind of perverse evidence of their love of “diversity,” but rather, the the biggest problem with the GOP is that they routinely elevate their bigots to the highest levels of the party.
Republicans don’t just tolerate hate and bigotry. They admire it, and reward it.