Must-watch video: Karl Rove melts down on Fox

There just may be a god after all.

Rove can’t grasp the reality that his $300 million campaign had its clock cleaned and that his brand of extremism lost. He stammers, stumbles and is so desperate that he references the Ohio Secretary of State, who has been at the center of controversy for blocking Democratic voters.

It must be a painful morning today for Rove to recognize that he’s no longer on top of the game, that he’s a loser. Not just a regular loser, but a loser who just pissed away hundreds of millions of dollars from donors who will no longer see him as an election mastermind.

Tough break for Karl, isn’t it?

An American in Paris, France. BA in History & Political Science from Ohio State. Provided consulting services to US software startups, launching new business overseas that have both IPO’d and sold to well-known global software companies. Currently launching a new cloud-based startup. Full bio here.

50 Responses to “Must-watch video: Karl Rove melts down on Fox”

1. Deaglerr says:

Hope you guys are right about Rove being finished. BUT… those moneyed friends probably didn’t spend themselves into poverty.
    I can see Rove already tapping his rolodex for even MORE money to try again next time.
    Why not send the Great Satan an e-mail to wish him [email protected]

This theory makes a hell of a lot of sense.

True that. Whatever else, Karl Rove isn’t going to go hungry or homeless. Still, I amuse myself by imagining what must’ve been going on in his head in those moments, some of which it sounded like he was about to let spill accidentally. “Hang on, that’s not how this works! We keep two or three big states undeclared for at least a few days, make sure there’s no winner. Then find those conveniently uncounted ballots, work our magic with the tabulation servers and boom, we win. By that point, nobody notices you’ve pulled a quarter million GOP votes out of your ass in Cleveland. You CAN’T call the race now! How the f**k did Husted f**k this up? It was golden!”

Yeah, but not nearly as much as he should. I’d like to see him missing it, along with his other undeserved millions, while wearing a prison jumpsuit for violations of the foreign investment acts and tax evasion charges.

Yep, I imagine Jabba the Adelson is gonna miss that 100 mill or so.

I’d have preferred spontaneous combustion.

7. mf_roe says:

Hubris levels even the Lords of the Universe occasionally.

8. mf_roe says:

Occam’s  Razor would support that.

9. Rover on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Now he can join the others. “You’re weak, Karl!”

10. v_volker says:

One trick pony did his thing. Get off the stage pony!

11. Relax, Karl. How about taking a nice hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

12. Robin Love says:

I remember in 2004 the moment when Ohio – which looked like it would go blue – was suddenly changed & called for Bush instead of Kerry. To this day this remains a statistical mystery & many, including myself, believe votes were switched. Karl Rove’s IT guru Michael Connell died in a plane crash a few weeks before he was to testify about these discrepancies. I agree that Karl Rove aka Turd Blossom was freaking because his fix did not come in – someone dropped the ball, it wasn’t going to work this time. Finally, Karl Rove’s bag of dirty tricks was empty. Oh, it was a wonderful sight to see.

13. hollywoodstein says:

They had a plan for the endgame but were overtaken by events.

14. hollywoodstein says:

Husted lost his nerve.  The results came in too fast.  Too much scrutiny.

15. hollywoodstein says:

They had a plan for the endgame.  At the least they wanted it to go to the provisionals, and the courts, and have Husted disqualify Dem votes for any errors even when the intent was clear.  Same in Florida.
    But the returns came in too quick. There was an awful lot of scrutiny and micro info monitoring.  Husted may have lost his nerve.
    Turns out it didn’t matter this time.

16. rovibo says:

The Romney team called Karl Rove protesting the Fox announcement that Ohio won it for Obama. Rove was under pressure from the Romney team to take it back for they cannot accept the inescapable truth that Romney lost. Rove ended up looking like a fool but the Romney team must have looked even worse than Rove except the team was not on TV.

17. Hog73 says:

It’s alright for give his opinion of Fox because Fox in mostly opinion and very little of the news.

18. mtiffany says:

That man is the picture of self-restraint. If I were Rove, I’d have blurted out “I know Romney’s going to win Ohio because I bribed Jon Husted.” It must really burn Rove’s ass that Husted double-crossed him.

19. mtiffany says:

20. Blogvader says:

Okay, that’s just beautiful.

Ding dong, the [email protected]#$ing witch is dead.

21. AnitaMann says:

ROVE=OVER

Still, how rich has Fat ‘n Pasty become with the SuperPac money. Win or lose, he’ll be laughing all the way to the bank.

I don’t know about rational, but I did see what basically amounted to “But… but… but… we spent so much money! We should be winning!”

Exactly. I just saw a guy totally confused that he convinced billionaires to waste astronomical sums of money, and it didn’t pay off. Next time Karl comes begging for cash, it’s going to be that much harder for him to be taken seriously. Either way, I don’t see him being too upset. I’m sure he walked away with a nice percentage of the take, and his entire schtick of suckering money out of gullible people basically requires a Democratic Boogeyman. He’s right where he wants to be. In a place to keep soaking up more money for doing basically nothing.

25. jixter says:

Yup.

26. CarrieCann says:

I agree with the majority of the comments that it was not a meltdown.  It was probably disbelief that whatever Rove had up his sleeves was either not working, or that the time in which to flip the votes had not yet occurred and he was on the spot.  What I felt last night was that THIS time, Democrats were not going to let any votes be flipped without being all over it, and that could explain why this was a much cleaner election than we have had since 2000. Also, as others have commented, with all of the super PAC money, Rove was woefully incapable of swinging anyone. I watched Fox News last night to see how they would spin the election, and the alternate universe concept is still in play.  Up to the end, Megyn and her crew were incredulous at the results and kept on insisting that Romney was projected to get over 300 electoral college votes.  Instead, Obama creamed Romney, with a sufficient number of EV that complaining the race was too close to call overall was not an option.

27. CarrieCann says:

28. Krusher says:

I have to agree.  I didn’t see a meltdown.  I did see a very sad little man.

I didn’t see it as a Karl Rove meltdown. What I saw was a guy who honestly believed the fix was in with Ohio like he’d helped arrange himself in 2004, and who believed the numbers were gonna flip at any moment. To him, uncounted votes in heavily Democratic precincts were simply a potential pool of perceived-to-be-legitimate votes that fungibly could be reset in the servers in the middle of the night to swing the state to Romney.

And what I think finally prompted Romney and his team to throw in the towel not long after were the results from Virginia, Colorado, and Nevada, along with Florida still trending Blue, which made Ohio’s results moot. As soon as the projected EV number went over 290, it was over.

Side observation: Chris Wallace is a total tool.

BTW, my wife’s happy dance today is knowing how much money Rove, the Koch brothers, Adelson, Trump, and all the other wingnut billionaires sunk into…well, an electoral money pit, and failing to win on just about anything.

30. straightnotnarrow says:

agree

31. Equivokator says:

not a fan at all of Bush’s brain, but that was not a melt down

32. colleen2 says:

He wasn’t particularly emotional which is what we expect in a “meltdown” but his argument is composed of equal parts of denial and wistful thinking and, thus, not rational.

33. colleen2 says:

In order for the Kathrine Harris method to work the vote has to be close. It wasn’t.

34. DCinDC says:

If we only had a little more time we could fix the vote count, Karl Rove….

35. FuzzyRabbit says:

Rove had fixed the election for the Republican, like in 2004, but that this time his fix was not working. No wonder he was flummoxed.

36. Laura Hobbs says:

hang up your clown shoes karl rove. you’re finished!

37. Garule says:

Romney didn’t concede until after Ohio was irrelevant in the electoral count. He thought he could still challenge/change the results. Even Fox News was baffled why the concession wasn’t given sooner. I don’t think it’s a matter of not being able to afford pollsters and trackers but simply fixing the election there.

38. Stev84 says:

It’s not that they couldn’t afford them but that they are so paranoid and delusional that they don’t believe anyone who doesn’t affirm their worldview

39. Dano2 says:

He was running a con.

Best,

D

40. Dano2 says:

I think his meltdown was the realization he’s been exposed as yet another GoOPer grifter. He’s been demoted from CBSO.

Best,

D

41. condew says:

But under that conversation was “Please, please, please let me believe we can win for one more hour.”.

Rationally, it would be a lot easier to explain spending hundreds of millions on a lost election if at least the counting goes late into the night.

42. Ginger_FL says:

what bothered me about it was a flash back to Kerry (OH) in 2004….Remember Kerry was way ahead…then all of a sudden he wasn’t….Same thing in 2000….Gore declared winner, W says, hold up…that’s not right…why would that be W?
    Was the fix in yet again however….someone had a change of mind?
    Maybe all that light shining on Mittens son having controlling interest in the voting machines in OH had something to do with it…..we probably won’t know for a few more years.
    Rove wasn’t able to do it this time….maybe we are finally freeing ourselves from these political shackles of disenfranchisement.

Their entire argument this time around was that facts don’t exist unless we make them up. Pretty hard mindset to knock yourself out of, especially when you’re swimming in a giant pool full of money.

44. Island In The Sky says:

Agreed. Not a “melt down”.

45. caphillprof says:

What I find odd about this clip is that Rove seems to be doing this in his head without looking at precincts and histories and exit polling.  NBC had David Axelrod on midway through the evening and he was biting his lip because he knew who was voting where and how they were voting, which is the way that the Obama campaign operated from day one.  It’s as if all Rove’s gazillionaires couldn’t afford pollsters and trackers.

46. John Condon says:

Ohio Called…Oops, Computer crashed…love it

47. Carla Dixon says:

Carl Rove can crawl back under his rock, and stay there!  Hopefully, his kind of Dirty politics is a thing of the past!

48. Joe Budd says:

Really now, that was not so much  a “melt down” as a rational conversation.

49. UncleBucky says:

ROVE
    ROVER
    ROSER
    LOSER
    (it happens that fast, boys and girls!)

50. A_nonymoose says:

I dunno, I’m sure he made plenty of money, regardless of the outcome. What he better hope is that one of these billionaires that bankrolled him (and lost) doesn’t know a “mechanic”, if you get my drift.