Just for fun, I decided to look through our records to find the 10 most read stories on the blog in 2009. One of them, interestingly, wasn’t even written this year. Here’s our list. And just fyi, our number ten most-read story of the year was actually our 2005 story on Jeff Gannon (oddly). So I included #11 as well (which would be the tenth-most-read story we’ve WRITTEN this year):
1. 182,129 readers: Obama defends DOMA in federal court. Says banning gay marriage is good for the federal budget. Invokes incest and marrying children.
2. 111,681 readers: RNC Web site promoting anti-Semitic, anti-Latino, and pornographic literature
3. 57,618 readers: Teabaggers attack Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel
4. 54,342 readers:Baucus & Conrad cave again, toughen health care bill’s anti-immigrant provisions to appease Joe “You lie!” Wilson
5. 51,896 readers: AIDS activists shut down US Capitol rotunda over Obama reversal on AIDS policy
6. 41,960 readers: Obama DOJ lies to Politico in defending hate brief against gays.
7. 38,200 readers: Did the Mormons baptize Obama’s mother, after her death, without his knowledge or consent?
8. 35,641 readers: Whole Foods comes out against health care reform, calls it “socialism”.
9. 33,160 readers: Funny, Bill O’Reilly didn’t think gay marriage was wrong in 2002.
10. (2005) 29,875 readers: A man called Jeff.
11. 25,135 readers: My whopping $32 emergency room visit in the land of socialized medicine.
(Also, when I give the number of “readers” below, that figure is actually the number of “page views,” for any geeks out there.)